Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

The OFFICIAL Stryker F27B thread

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The OFFICIAL Stryker F27B thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
aircruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The OFFICIAL Stryker F27B thread

I think this is the official one...

A search turned up no results for the B...and I keep seeing all these threads about making your stryker do 100+ mph, but no official stryker b thread.

First off, today was my 16th birthday and I got

1. a dodge ram body

2. a dodge dakota body

3. a 30 minute session at aces of the air flight simulator at mall of america

4. a cell phone

5. A stryker F27B!!

I have a super cub, commader 2 and a scout and have flown my dad's stryker before and the F27B was #2 on my Christmas list after the TA-02 racetruck!

Today I opened it up and couldn't believe my eyes!!

I love flying my dad's every chance I get and my super cub compared to flying with my dad's stryker is like a 4 cylinder honda compared to a 12 cylinder ferrari... [X(]

Well, now I got one!!

All we neednow is a good flying day!!

I can't wait to get this in the air!! [X(][8D]

So let's talk stock

Or go ahead and talk anything stryker F27B!

Sorry if there is already an official F27B thread...a search turned up no results.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: The OFFICIAL Stryker F27B thread

Welcome to F27B nation!

I'm posting so I can watch this forum develop and hope I can provide thoughts along the way.

I'm currently with my 2nd B body (let's not go into the reasons behind that) and at least the 3rd set of servo's. This last set seems to be holding up much better (for what ever reason)

I'm using 3 cell 2100 mah lipo with standard prop. With that I'm getting some nice flight times of 12 - 16 minutes and for me, some thrilling speed
Old 01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
aircruiser

Awesome!!

My dad is on his second fusalage and has gone through two servos..

First time out he had it on high rate and so as soon as it took off it barrel rolled into the ground...but hopefully I have a good maiden!

How different is the li-po compared to the 7 cell would you say?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM
VictoryRoll-91

I'v always wanted one of the strykers, maybe I need one.......
Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 PM
flyingace451

You CAN discuss the stock Stryker on the Way Past the Limits thread because most guys on there started out with a stock bird.

So far my Stryker has made it over a year with only one major crash and no replacement parts bought, and it is still stock and sill cookin'. I fly like a wild man, and I pretty much try to 3D every plane I own, so I'm suprised to see that it's made it this far. The Stryker is a really really good second or third plane, and you'll be flying one all of the time no matter how experienced you are once you get one
Old 01-05-2007, 07:28 PM
maiden-crash

Rc mark, you have to replace the stock prop and put the lipo one in. You will overload your motor and it will smoke. Thats why they give you two props.But, you will get a lot of power the short time it lasts
Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 PM
r/cmark42

Yea, I know I'm living on borrowed time with the stock prop. I've already purchased another ESC/RX in anticipation of it going bad
But the extra speed and the sound of the whine make it well worth it (so far)
In response to aircruiser, I think I'm getting around 5 minutes extra on the lipo. and with the stock prop combo, I'm definatly getting better performance. So far I would guess i have close to 40 lipo cycles on the RX with no sign of failure.
This is such a great plane. I have fond it perfect for my area (Buffalo) as it is often wet and muddy and a little breezy. this plane being a belly lander does not have to worry about getting landing gear all fowled up and I look forward to a little breeze to ut the plane through some real fun [8D]
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM
aircruiser

Awesome! Good to hear you're liking it r/cmark!

flyingace, I know, I just wanted a place to discuss all stryker Bs, modded and stock...I don't want to make this plane the ultimate stryker, this is just a daily speed flyer and such. Also, tomorrow the field has a few snow patches but some dry spots, but under the dry grass it's wet so we'll see!!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Gryphon

Stock motor on 3 cell lipoly and stock ESC can handle the APC E 6X4 prop. It will draw 15.5-16A and you will need a 2.3mm prop adapter.

That is about all the stock motor can take, if you install APC E 6X5.5 then you might not finish your flight and land with a beautiful smoke trail from the fried motor.

It will fly faster than the stock props and it will climb much better as well, the $11 motor will last many dozens of flights while you will have much more fun than the stock props. So extra few cents per flight worth of wear on motor is WELL worth it.

I have tried to burn motors and stock ESC on purpose and I have managed to do so...on purpose to find the limits.

The motor will give before the ESC. The ESC can handle 4 cell lipoly no problem. It is not the voltage that will burn the ESC. It is the current draw (AMPs). 17A is about max if you are opening up the side vents and having them blow on to the stock ESC.
I will try to fly someday with APC 4.1X4.1 prop on stock motor and 4cell lipoly for 220W.
I already did the test in my room but the motor got hot fast and there was more than just a little spark coming from the back of the poor motor, but hey it was just testing fun. The motor was water broken before hand, that is why this motor didn't have the amps jumping all over the place as bad as the first motor I tried on 4S. NO flight has been done yet. The air flow over the motor should make it be good for 1 flight before some thing bad happens. LOL.....

***To go fastest with only 1 motor and stock ESC, use Graupner 6304L motor from Hobby-Lobby for $29 and use APC E 5.25X4.75 prop, keep ESC cool and have fun blowing all other lipoly powered stock motors away. You will need a 3.2mm prop adapter for its output shaft.

Stock prop is 5.9X3.0, lipoly stock prop is 5.3X3.3, but APC E 6X4 will fly the best by far with stock motor and 3S lipoly.

Note: all of my flights were full throttle non-stop while using Thunder Power 3S-2100 Prolite 15C/24C battery.

Do open up the Side vents and if you can get those small Heli heat sinks $5 that can spread open and snap on the motor. I either used non or 1, 2, or 3 on the motor during summer 80-90 degrees F.

Hope you all have lots of fun and at least try that APC prop with 2.3mm Adapter.

Gryphon
Old 01-06-2007, 09:22 AM
r/cmark42

I'll give it a shot. I might even have that prop in my box of spare parts. Weather out this way stinks and might be a while before I have a chance to experiment, Thanks!!

Mark
Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Gryphon,

I've been flying the F-27 and now the F-27B for quite some time. I'm on my third motor on the 27-B, using an E-flite 20amp ESC and the TX/RX from the Parkzone Typhoon which works very well for me (I only have to take one TX to the field).

Is the Graupner 6304L a simple replacement, or do you have to modify the motor mount? I use a 3S 11.1v li-po on my stryker with stock motor and stock li-po prop. Would like to try something else before I go brushless with the F-27C.

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

***To go fastest with only 1 motor and stock ESC, use Graupner 6304L motor from Hobby-Lobby for $29 and use APC E 5.25X4.75 prop, keep ESC cool and have fun blowing all other lipoly powered stock motors away. You will need a 3.2mm prop adapter for its output shaft.

Gryphon
Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 PM
aircruiser

That's cool gryphon!

I wouldn't like to watch my airplane go down in smoke, but it'd be a cool sight to see.

I'm kidding, we'll see if today will be good for flying, hopefully she'll go up!!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Prostock442

Newbie to stryker nation. I have a question about paint. I have the U.S.A.F. version of the F-27 and want to paint it simular to the black & yellow stryker. Any idea's on what paint to use so I don't melt it? Thanks. PRostock442
Old 01-06-2007, 04:54 PM
aircruiser

Do you have the bare white fusalage or the stock one?

Because you could paint over the stock one but I'd wait until stock is destroyed before you repaint.

If you are using the bare-white fusalage...just use some testors model paint and paint it on REALLY light...it may soak in a little, but the lighter the plane the better right?

My dad repainted his black and white and it came out great!

I'll get up pics when I can!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Gryphon

jmir,

Although you need to modify the motor mount it is an easy/quick job. Should take you a minute or two.
This Graupner motor has a larger diameter than stock motor and here is how you modify the mount so you can retain the motor by use of a couple of zip ties.
The motor mount loop that takes the two scews needs to be snipped at the very top of the curve/arc. This will allow for the larger diameter motor to fit inside the loop. The screw holes will line up perfect.
Since the second loop is in the way, completely remove it by snipping it at the two end of the loop. ***RETAIN THIS REMOVED LOOP***
So now you have one loop removed and the other has been snipped on top so it can spread open to accept the mount.
The two zip ties that will go over the motor need a way of passing through the motor mount so you can zip them down tight, so look at the triangular looking RIB area of the mount. All you do is to take a small diameter drill and make (2) slots where you want the zip ties to go through.
So now you can assemble the motor onto the mount, BUT YOU WILL SEE THE BACK OF THE MOTOR (FACING THE FRONT OF PLANE) DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT AND IS BEING HELD BARELY ABOVE THE MOUNT.....so use a piece of that loop that you removed as a filler to help keep the back of motor raised so the angle does not get changed.

Recap:
A) remove the plain loop.
B) snip the other mount on top so it can spread open
C) cut (2) slots on the rib area of mount so (2) zip ties can pass through.
D) support the back of motor with a piece of the removed loop as a filler under motor.
E) bolt motor in and then zip tie the motor down tight.

My friend even used some straping tape instead of zip ties later on, it never melted or had issues either.

Any and all F-27B owners should put some tape down under the motor mount area to strenghten the area anyway. This way during a bad crash the motor mount area foam does not get ripped out. For more details of tape job on the foam under the motor mount go to "Way past the limits part 5" and ask there.

Note: the 6304L is a reverse rotation motor so it does turn in the correct direction for a Stryker already. Just make sure to have the printed side (normal side) of the prop facing the motor and the front of the Stryker. So looking from the rear of palne you will see the back side of the prop. The correct side of prop faces the incoming air. The "L" means left hand, which means reverse roation, which is the correct rotation for Stryker.

To see motor click on the link below and it sells for $29

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ddsystem.htm

Note: F-27B at high speed has a tendancy to rise/climb. The angle of the F-27C mount helps eliminate/reduce this tendancy. So try and adapt the F-27C mount. Back when we dealt with this motor the F-27C was not out yet. I'm sure you can apply the above concept to the new mount without much dificulty, they cost the same anyway. Keep a spare mount in your tool box.

The performance is much much better than stock motor, but with APC 5.25X4.75 you will be right at the ESC limit now. So make sure to provide extra air for it to cool and also provide some extra room for air to excape under the hatch to make room for fresh air coming in by enlarging the exit air in the back of the rear hatch. You can either cut it short in back or widen and lenghten the slots on the rear cover. The F-27C front hatch will also help increase the air flow under the hatch big time.

This motor has replacable brushes.

Have fun,
Gryphon
Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 PM
aircruiser

Awesome info gryphon!

Thanks for putting that up!

I got to maiden mine today, but maybe not the best maidening weather...

32 degrees out and 15+ mph winds... [&:]

No crashes and 2 7 cells through the plane and just a rough first landing after the battery unexpectedly died and had to make an emergency landing...but otherwise she;s in perfect condition!

It is a great plane!
Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
jmir

Gryphon,

Thanks for all the information. When my current motor wears out I'll consider that upgrade. It's got to be fun with the added power.

Any pictures of a completed upgrade? That might help visualize the changes.

I reinforced the motor area with carbon rods and also clear packing tape just to make sure. It has survived several crashes this way.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Flybyvam

Love the Stryker! I am selling my first after just building another to fly with my Dx6 instead of the parkzone electronics. What a great plane!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:06 AM
aircruiser

Definitly a great plane!

One of the people we have flown with has a C with a spektrum radio...it's pretty cool but I am so use to flying Hobby or Park Zone's 3 channels that I don't know if I could fly anything else as good as I can now!
Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Gryphon

Here is all I could find in my cell phone from my friend's plane with that motor on it.
You can easily see the top of the loop on the motor shaft side has been snipped and it has spread apart to take the motor inside. The motor bolts through stock holes/ locations and with stock screws if I remember right. It has been a good year since those days.

Do you get the idea?

The rib is the triangular area on the top mount, but under the motor area. If you look at it from the side it looks TRIANGULAR in design. Make your two slots only thick enough and wide enough for the zip ties to go through where ever you want them. Better to have them further apart.

Gryphon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91945.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	592605  
Old 01-07-2007, 10:19 AM
jmir

Gryphon,

Thanks for the photo. I can see that it's pretty simple.
I'm going to order the motor and have it standing by for when my current motor wears out.
I fly almost every day, so it won't be long before I have to replace it.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:45 PM
r/cmark42

Couple of simple questions for the group...
what is the little platic thing with 2 prongs and shaped like an eagles talon use for?? I'm pretty sure it fits on the bottom of the plane in the predrilled holes
another is, does anyone use the combat module? I'm going on the assuption it does not live up to it's billing since I don't hear much about it?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:40 PM
aircruiser

That's awesome Gryphon!

I like that plane!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
markind

Hi all!

I have my sights fixed on a 27B. I choose it over the 27C because:

1. Its cheaper!
2. I don't want all that brushless power - tamer and slower is better for me.
3. I want that X-Port!
4. I want to enjoy the project of eventually, later upgrading to brushless and dealing with those enjoyable technicalities.

Also, I have a Spektrum DX6 radio I want to use with it. Is there an ARF version out there? Looks like not.

Any other tips for a soon-to-be owner? [8D]
Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Flybyvam

ORIGINAL: aircruiser

Definitly a great plane!

One of the people we have flown with has a C with a spektrum radio...it's pretty cool but I am so use to flying Hobby or Park Zone's 3 channels that I don't know if I could fly anything else as good as I can now!
Hi Aircruiser,

I love my Spektrum and the response that it gives me over the standard HZ or PZ electronics! That's my ONLY reason for building a second Stryker (and selling my first).

I think the thing that has impressed me the most about the Stryker, is how it lands. It's so cool to see it punching holes in the sky and then land only slightly hotter than my EZ Star!

Once again, what a great plane!

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.