Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Motor Break-in?

Old 01-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Shoruk3n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Motor Break-in?

Is it necessary to break in my GWS motor? I haven't run it yet, and I'll probably wait until someone tells me if I should or not. Don't want to go shootin myself in the foot!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:44 AM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Always a good idea. What Motor/Plane are you using? Do the instructions say to brake it in? Many of the instructions don't say to, but if you do you may be able to squeeze a little more life out of it.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:56 PM
bowanarrow

I am new to electrics. Just finished up a GWS Zero and am waiting for the snow to disappear and the high 50's to reappear.
I have their 300 motor in the bird.

How do you break in an electric motor? I didn't know that it was a good thing to do.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:05 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can power it up under (distilled) water and run it until after changing the water several times until it no longer is leaving any dark or gray residue in the water, However on a GWS motor it is just a cheap can motor and is only gonna be good for so many flights anyway,,maybe 30, maaaaybe 50 if your lucky, it will start to lose power gradually, like the batts arent fully charged then near the end it just wont be able to climb.. and by this time you need to order another motor.......I just went ahead and ordered an entire kit,cause the plane was pretty well shot too....Rog
Old 02-01-2003, 03:23 AM
bowanarrow

Hey Rog

Thanks for the quick reply.... I guess I really am coming out of the woods .... You dunk the whole thing in water and run it????

I imagined that water would short out the whole motor.
... they will run under water??

I am sure I must be misunderstanding. The part I do understand is that it is not worth trying to break-in the GWS300.

Brad
Old 02-01-2003, 01:11 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

distilled or deionized water only!!get a glass ful place the motor in and connect the battery for a few seconds(10),, change water and repeat until no more debris enters the water,, OK Junior heres your science lesson for today,,, water,pure water does NOT conduct electricity, it is the contaminants IN the water that do,, If your familiar with "soft water" you know that you cant water plants with it because it will kill them, because there are no minerals in the water ,,they are displaced with salt but soft water does conduct electricity.....you got the big picture though GWS can motor not worth doing it too ,its a 2$ motor your going to have pay $10 for and $7 to ship it to you so, unless your real good, just think of getting another whole kit like I said..most of all have fun with it........Rog
Old 02-01-2003, 04:59 PM
ElectriFan-RCU

Rog's recommendations are quite different from what I have been told.

1. Remove motor from gearbox
2. Cup of distilled water with a drop of dishwashing liquid
3. Hook up motor to a 3.0 cell pack
4. Dip in cup for 10 seconds or so until water turns light gray
5. Remove motor, let dry thoroughly, motor lubrication (no WD40) on shaft
6. Put back in gearbox and fly

I'm fairly new to RCU, there might a faq somewhere for beginners based on the collective wisdom of it's members. It may address this issue.

Another option is to break in dry - remove from gearbox, hook up to a single alkaline D cell and run until battery is out. If you use a rechargeable, then remember to have something inline that will prevent battery from dropping below 0.9V.

The thing to keep in mind is that break in is done w/o load - no prop and gearbox on it.

Before anyone starts flaming me, this is what I have gathered from others who had more experience than me when I started out. I don't know if this increases motor life much but I do the dry method on a rechargeable cell (with some electronics that prevent cells from dropping below 0.9v/cell) while I am building if it's a new plane. If it's a replacement motor (done it only once so far), then it's done while watching TV, etc.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:06 PM
bowanarrow

Thanks to you guys who replied. It is good to know that for one of the expensive electric motors I need to consider a break in. I appreciate you taking time to help out a beginner in electrics.

I guess most of us in the hobby help out with what we know when others need the info. It is great to be on the receiving end of things and quickly get info when it is needed ......

This site.. RC Universe ... is a great aid to all of us.

Brad