Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

*NEW* MicroSeether - 600mm span pusher

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

*NEW* MicroSeether - 600mm span pusher

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:38 AM
inflex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *NEW* MicroSeether - 600mm span pusher

G'day everyone,

Just thought I'd let you all know about a new plane I've been working on, the MicroSeether.

Unlike the full-size seether (940mm span) you really can contain the MicroSeether within the confines of a park without too much trouble at all.

I've found that I enjoy flying this little critter best at about 1~3m above the ground, seeing just how close I can take it before I chicken out.

The first batch of kits have already all gone - but I've got another batch coming in very soon from MountainModels ( producers of my other kits, Slipso400, Seether, QFII, EasyBox-2 etc ).

Home page - http://pldaniels.com/flying/models/microseether
Build manual - http://pldaniels.com/flying/models/m...croseether.pdf

Specification -
Wing span: 600mm (24" )
Length: 370mm (14.5" )
AUW: 180g (6.5oz)
Power system: GWS 2205 brushless outrunner + Elegance 2S450mA-15C lipo
Propeller: GWS 6x3 (GWEP6030)
Channels: 3 (Throttle, elevons)

Old 01-22-2007, 07:09 AM
inflex

Default RE: *NEW* MicroSeether - 600mm span pusher

Yes, they're here finally

I did quite a few changes on this one, including

* tapered ailerons
* deeper battery bay
* launch grip under the CG area
* holes cutout in the fuselage bay area to pass servo plugs through
* enlarged landing skids with servo clearance
* alignment notch in wing for landing skid
* rear former doubler to improve motor mount strength
* single piece hstab
* separate fore and aft fuselage hatch bays
* Wider wing-tips
* Ailerons are precut with control horn slots

Best of all, I've also set the introduction price for the kit to be $39.95 AUD until i get the manual written

Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
inflex

MicroSeether R2 as of this morning - building is a little bit slow because of having to do other jobs during the day and night ( like running the R/C shop )

Also, it takes a while to photograph everything.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 PM
inflex

Almost there - just glued on the canopy hatches

Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 AM
maiden-crash

Looking great inflex, keep up the good work. Keep us updated!

Mc
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM
inflex

Hopefully will get this new MicroSeether finished and flying this long weekend (Australia Day weekend).
Old 01-25-2007, 05:23 PM
inflex

Trying to come up with the best way to do the magnets for the hatches... always a fun task.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:17 AM
inflex

The revision 2 MicroSeether is ready for flight. It took a bit longer than desired to build because of an interesting series of events including a bit of flooding here.

Airframe weight: 67g
AUW: 187g (ie, 120g for servos, motor, battery, ESC, receiver and nose-weight)

I believe that the weight could have been more like 175~180g but one wing was made of particuarly heavy wood (and it stands to be seen tommorow how it'll affect flight).

Old 02-04-2007, 05:50 PM
inflex

Finally, it's done - the first release of the Microseether build manual.

Available here - http://pldaniels.com/flying/models/m...croseether.pdf
(30 pages, lots of photos, 3.4MB in size)

Old 02-05-2007, 06:08 AM
inflex

Okay, I need to come up with some creative flair now... need to decorate the rest of the plane

... time to pull out the Inkscape / Photoshop / GIMP

Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 AM
inflex

Maiden #2

The second revision of the Microseether took to the skies late this morning in bufetting 15~20km/hr winds, aside from some fun with the rough riding it flew very nicely.

I adjusted the CoG to be 195mm from the tip of the nose ( 77.5mm from the rear firewall ).

Rolls were far more axial as apposed to 'barelling' like in the first Microseether prototype video.

All in all, she's ready for a full production run now (already sold out of this series of kits).

Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 AM
ozrcboy

Looking forward to seeing my MicroSeether in the post. Must admit I am a bit nervous about the prospect of handlaunching a balsa plane, particularly one with a nice high stall speed.

Have been trying to find a cheap outrunner to do the GWS 2205 but not that many of the small brushless outrunners ahve that high a kv rating. The Towerpro Bm2408-21 has 1750kv and 13A - would probably go close to doing the job, but the configuration of the motors means it will shift the CoG a bit further back unless I get "creative" about mounting it.

BTW - was the Microseether video on the recommended 2s LiPo? Seemed to have a lot of poke. <evil grin> wondering whether a very light 3s could be shoehorned in...
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 AM
inflex

Looking forward to seeing my MicroSeether in the post. Must admit I am a bit nervous about the prospect of handlaunching a balsa plane, particularly one with a nice high stall speed.
I'm hoping to get out in the next day or two to show some more launches of the MicroSeether - believe me, it's quite easy. The new kit has an extended grip area under the wing so you can really give it a good heave.

Have been trying to find a cheap outrunner to do the GWS 2205 but not that many of the small brushless outrunners ahve that high a kv rating. The Towerpro Bm2408-21 has 1750kv and 13A - would probably go close to doing the job, but the configuration of the motors means it will shift the CoG a bit further back unless I get "creative" about mounting it.
Yes, the GWS 2205 is a really sweet combination of a motor - I can never keep enough stock of them (got another box load coming ASAP). The MicroDANS is another option but then you're looking at a lot more money for that. The BM2408-21 has the problem of the large displaced offset for the mount as you mentioned, not sure how you'll get around that.

BTW - was the Microseether video on the recommended 2s LiPo? Seemed to have a lot of poke. <evil grin> wondering whether a very light 3s could be shoehorned in...
That was indeed a 2S pack. Elegance 2S450-15C pack ($19.95 or so at my site). Just received another lot of them today (along with some nice 2S/3S balancing GWS lipo chargers)... yes yes, I've been playing with my toys today *grin*

You don't get a long flight out of the 2S450 pack of course - but it's about 6~7 minutes depending on your throttle usage (what? there's something other than on/off ?)

Paul.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 AM
ozrcboy

Love the part count on the Microseether Paul, and had a read through the manual this evening - looks straight forward enough. Do you recommend the PVA glue throughout?

On the motor front I think I have managed to track down the last GWS 2205 in Oz and it will be in my hot little hands shortly.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:28 AM
inflex

Ozrcboy,

Yes, Weldbond PVA if you can get it (Bunnings or similar stores). Else Sellys Aquahere is okay (though it takes longer to set and isn't quite as strong I think).

Good luck on the 2205 hunt - I can never keep enough in stock. The closest you can get is the Waypoint 2205-32 from aircraft world for about $29 USD.

The partcount on the Microseether is... micro I tried really hard to actually increase the part count for some areas just to add some accessories where I could. I'm even thinking of putting a scoop on the top-rear hatch to help with airflow to the motor - not to mention looks

Paul.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:28 PM
ozrcboy

I've managaed to get a GWS 2205 engine - so I have the right power plant. The manual suggests that she will run on a 3s450 - have you tried this combo - does the battery weight upset the CoG significantly, or does it actually save on nose weight? Does your little elegance 3s450 fit the compartment?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
inflex

Ozrcboy,

I've not flown with the 3S yet, however it will fit in the compartment but you'll probably have to think about putting the ESC at the back.

CG is affected a little bit - but because the battery pack is close to the CG it almost balances out (with a 2S pack I need about 6g of noseweight to make the 195mm CG point)

This is a picture of a 3S Elegance pack in the nose.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 AM
inflex

Just received notice that the next batch of Microseethers are on their way... this time I won't run out so quick

Paul.