Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

PZ Slo-V VS. GWS Slow Stick

Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PZ Slo-V VS. GWS Slow Stick

I've been checking both these planes out because i want to have a slowstick to fly along with my foamies. Both seem great, although the GWS obviously is the more popular one. The slo v on the other hand is RTF, everything is there, and the quality is good. The question is, who do you think "Takes the cake?"
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Default RE: PZ Slo-V VS. GWS Slow Stick

My little brother got the slo-v for Christmas and it seems to be a really good plane except for the fuse and the underpowering. The fuse you can fix by building one out of spruce, and the battery just buy the firebird freedom pack. On the other hand I know nothing about the slow stick so I can't help you with that.

Kevin
Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 PM
bzyguy01

GWS is my vote. I have had both and feel that the GWS is much better than the V tail. More control and the slope kit is inexpensive when it needs parts. ( we battle them with 5 or 6 other GWS stiks) HE HE

I have 3. One is stock for battle,one is modded with a Hacker A20-22l and is SICK power, The other is modded with Lights and flashers w/ a Eflite 480 for night flying!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 PM
patnchris

I have a Slo-V....It was my second plane, and basically it was the first thing I ever owned that actually flew. It could use a little more power.....I rectified this by using the motor from a Blade CP heli.....It is the same size and fit in the stock gearbox. With this mod, I had good climb rate and could do multiple loops. The motor was $10 from E-Flight......I think the decision should be based on what you expect to get from the plane. The Slo-V comes with everything ytou need to fly, in the box....The Slow Stik requires an ESC, servos, a reciever, a transmitter, batteries, and a charger.
The stuff in the Slo-V is dedicated to that plane, and should you tire of it, You will not be able to remove the running gear and transplant it into something else. It is what it is......
It will cost you more to get the Slow Stik in the air, but all the components are of a standard nature, and can be upgraded or moved to another plane, should you desire to do so.....

I think both planes are good steady slow flyers, that will serve their intended purpose. ....Pat
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 AM
hawk3ye

THe SLo-V was my first plane, I'm using a stock setup with the 7 cell battery upgrade.

I think if i had the choice again I'd go with a Slow Stick, it would have allowed me a lot more versatility in electronics and what not and i believe the speed mods aren't over the top for the plane to handle - which my Slo-V doesn't doesn't seem to like with it's flexible wings and it's fine by me because I usually like to take the plane as high as I can and do a bit of gliding so it's more of a plane I like to take up when i'm done battling it out with my warbird
Old 01-10-2007, 01:25 AM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

I have both planes and for a raw beginner I would vote for the Slo-V, especially if you DO NOT KNOW whether or not this will you be your first and only plane. The slo-v is ready to fly and you can do a few upgrades with the stock electronics for more performance. However if you think that you are looking for your first of many planes, then The SS should be your choice. It's very easy to assemble and the flight gear ( Transmitter, reciever, esc, battery) can be used in other projects. Also with the standard rudder , elevator, setup of the SS you get a plane that seems to me to be a little more responsive than the Slo-V. Better yet, get both. and when you tire of the Slo-V transfer the electronics from it over to the SS. You should be able to get them working on the SS as there is a jumper on the Slo-V reciever that allows for it to operate with rudder,elevator control. On a side note, should you get the SLo-V, make sure that you purchase a couple of 7-cell battery packs, as the 6-cell packs that it comes do not provide enough punch for learning to fly.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 AM
zagger

I've got a SLO-V and I've been experimenting with a lipo battery pack. The first lipo flight, I got 20 mins. of flight time at full throttle. Tonight, I made it to 24 mins. I was flying at half throttle. I had power to spare. I had to land because it was getting pretty dark. The air was very still and the plane seemed to just float. Very cool. The battery is a Hyperion Light Storm VX 2100mah., 2S, 20C.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
RickAvery

I vote for the slo-v but only if the parkzone electronics are switched to conventional 72mhz equipment. I found the OEM electrics to be very unreliable. To their credit, PZ always replaced defective parts at NO charge. I just got tired of shipping stuff back & forth through the mail while my bird sat and collected dust. My bro-in-law has a slow stick which is equipped with the same electronics & motor as my slo-v is now. Astro 010 brushless/gearbox, 10amp ESC, cheapo 4ch Rx, HS-55 servos on 2cell LiPos. I've flown them both a bunch. They fly VERY similar, climb about the same, go the same speed... But the slo-v is noticeably more manuverable & quicker to respond IMHO. My bro-in-law will tell you the same. I think the 'V' tail is the difference. But are they THAT much different? No!!! Since my pick is the slo-v, give it 100, and the slow stick gets 95. BUT, since the slo-v is not sold as a slope glider at the very reasonable price of the slow stick, and if $$$ were very tight, I'd get the slow stick. You couldn't pay me to use the PZ electrics. To buy the slo-v and then swap out the electrics is not very price efficient. Good luck.
Rick
Old 01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
bzyguy01

I'll go alittle more in depth here.
The slo v flies fine stock, is plenty manuverable stock, has poor electronics, comes with a radio that isn't worth anything after the sloV, is totally not interchangeable with other upgrades. ( Unless you buy seperate Transmitter (TX) and receiver(RX) ESC, MOD motor, And you will have to replace both servos.(4 wire servos are non compattible with any other rx's). Good upfront price as a package tho. Not good to modify, If modafied....The sloV will not perform as well as a modded Slowstik! The Slowstik WILL hover with the seperated elevator and rudder. The sloV will NOT hover.

The slow stik will cost you more $$ up front but you will have a completely expandable/Upgradable setup. The servos and TX/RX will go into other planes and the sloV will not. The Slowstik will most definitally outperform a slow V MOD VS MOD. (You will most likely want to mod the bird once you get used to flying as it gets boring quickly stock form)

Video: http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....29ef7f2705dfbc
Old 01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
VictoryRoll-91

yeah, now that I think about it, a plane often gets boring if you can't "fool around with it"(hee hee)[X(] and with the slov, it would be almost impossible.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Slo-V Flyer

In the Slo-V's defense, I did buy it as my very first airplane, and learnt to fly with it. That was 2 years ago, when I didn't want to spend $300 just to make something fly and have it crash 100 times. I flew it stock on 7-cells, then upgraded to a 12x6 prop and Team orion 370 motor which really breathed some life into it. It was able to fly even with a 5oz camera attached.

Even today I don't like the idea of crashing $300 in airplane and equipment (gee, how do I know it cost that much...). However, I've now got a nice Futaba 6EXA computer radio and standard electronics in my Slo-V, using a TP 1900mah 2-cell, and 910mah 3-cell, 15 AMP esc, and Tower Pro BP-21 motor, I can do loops until I get dizzy. Flight times of over 25 minutes with the 2s 1900 mah and 15 minutes with the 3s 910 mah. Probably been 400-600 feet high thermalling it.

Even though it cost me more in the long run, I didn't spend all of it at once. I learnt to fly and got comfortable with the stock electronics first. And contrary to what I've read, it has decent range for any n00b to fly around and learn. I took mine well over 300 feet high and further than that. I got the standard radio stuff last year in spring, and to this day after going through 3 high(er) speed planes, I still fall back to the Slo-V to do all my relaxed "beat-up" flying on. I am not worried about breaking delicate wooden parts and etc.

I think it depends which route you're going to go. If you want something "cheap" to relax with or mess with, the Slo-V with a 7-cell pack or hop-up motor is your easy and simple bet, but if you know what you're doing, get the Slow Stick and be ready to dish out the $$$$ for your first few flights. Unless your not a n00b, in which case the Slow Stick would probably be my choice too just because it's an ARF, until the Slo-V gets an ARF kit too, and I can use my own brushless/lipo goodies.