Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slo-v best motor upgrade?

Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Slo-v best motor upgrade?

Hi there I live in the UK and have just got a slo-v I am going to get a better motor for it as I have heard it makes it much nicer to fly, I have heard that the Venom Fireball 370 is good but it doesn't perform as well in the slo-v because it has to run backwards. I have also heard that the orion big block motor is a good choice and I can get it very cheaply in the UK, I have also heard of people using blade cp motors but I can't get them in the UK and some one else also mentioned the A-tech motors from their cars.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Leo L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Slo-v best motor upgrade?

I wouldn't worry about upgrading the motor until you have flown the plane for some time. Get rid of the stock battery and immediately go with the optional 7 cell. To compensate for the added weight, set the wing as far forward as possible. Also, don't use the low rate setting om the transmitter; go immediately to the high rate setting. With this combinationi, you'll find the Slow-V to be a very nice flying plane.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 PM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah I am going to get the 7 cell battery, I tried a maiden flight earlier also my first time on 3ch! and found that even in absolutely no wind it was very reluctant to climb, and struggle to maintain engough airspeed to prevent stalling it also went flat really quick. I am not sure if the charger had false peaked or if it just needs cycling a few times, I assume the motor needs to run in a bit as well. I did manage a few nice landings though, although not deliberately it just wouldn't stay up in the air.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Moontan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Make sure to let the engine cool down after each flight as it will prolong the life of the engine. It get hot and then it has power issues. I have just purchased a Groupner Speed 300 Elektromotor to try on the slo-v. Just got it today so I will post how it works when I try it. I have went through 3 of the origional motors. The 8.4 volt battery get the engine hot it needs the kewl down time inbetween flights I have found. I also have the faulse peak problem, I just unhook the battery for 30 seconds and charge it again, and repeat if needed until the battery feels warm. If the battery is not warm when the charge is done I just put it back on after a 30 second pause
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well its been a while since I posted this but since then my slo-v has gone brushless, a radio failure caused a 50ft spiralling dive into some trees, and broke the motor mount so I got a towerpro 2410-09 with a 1047 slofly prop, flies much better now, it climbs at 45 deg's all day and will go vertical for a short while, with lipo I suspect it will have unlimited vertical. It just so much more fun to fly now, I can come down to shoulder height and then pull up at 3/4's throttle and be little spec in no time, with stock power it used to take two or three minutes to get 60ft up.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Moontan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info when I get back to work and can afford to I think I will try that one. What ecs did you go with? I have been thinking about going with the Futaba 2.4GHz FASST 6EX. You needed to replace everything didn't you?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually have a robotbirds lite10A ESC they are UK online retailler and they have just started to get their own stuff in, I guess it is just rebranded stuff but it was cheap and works fine, as it happens it was a replacement for a towerpro 12a that didn't work at all. Yes you need all new gear, I have towerpro 9g servos they seem to work just fine, I am using a GWS v-tail mixer because my transmitter is not computer. I would say that the FASST system would be ideal the RX is nice and light and the TX has v-tail mixing, I am actually looking at getting a DX7 because I am having major glitching on mine, I think it is TX related though as it gets worse the closer to the ground I fly! I am using a KAN1050 7 cell nimh pack, its got a bit of oomph but its very heavy, a good 3s lipo would be much better, more power and lighter, although if you live somewhere windy a heavy pack is quite handy as it stops the plane getting buffeted around as much. I flew yesterday and it was so windy I could barely hold it into the wind to launch, but 1/2 throttle saw it climb out and 45deg's and up to about 400ft in no time. It really is transformed with brushless power and its silent, motor prop combo is the best you will get on a budget and flies the plane great. jUst remeber if this is you first time kitting out a plane, invest in a wattmeter, one of the most important tools for any e flight pilot and could prevent costly damage or lipo fires. And also make a note of the factory control movements so you can set them on your new radio.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Moontan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

not new to flying, been flying for 30+ years, use to fly nitro, but do not miss the mess cleanup now that I am all electric.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM
gt5500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok thats cool but even so if you don't have a wattmeter get one, they're indispensible really, when they cost less then a lipo but could save 2 or 3 they pay for themselves, a tacho is also good so you can see what kind of performance you're going to get.

Search this Thread