Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Slow Stick Assembly and Balance

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick Assembly and Balance

Old 02-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Cincy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick Assembly and Balance

I just purchased a GWS Slowstick today and before I put it together I have a couple of questions. There appears to be two ways of attaching the stabilizer and vertical fin: use the tape or use the gussets and screws. Is there any benefit in either approach? I dont have a 1 mm drill bit so I'm leaning towards using just the tape, but if it makes a difference, I'll make the trip to the hardware store for the bit. Thoughts?

Another question relates to getting the proper CG. I know the directions mention a specific distance for the CG, but what exactly does that mean? Is that where I should attempt to balance (using pencil eraser) the plane? Is the plane balanced when it is slightly nose down or exactly level?

Lastly, will I need to cut the control rods included in the kit? Or do I just place the servos where the control rods will reach uncut?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:11 AM
BillK

The tape worked fine for me for a couple weeks and then it started to not hold as well. If you don't want to drill I'd recommend 5 minute epoxy. I broke the tail in a crash recently and the epoxied parts of the foam are still on the fuse. Or tape it and put a bead of epoxy where the fuse and tail/stab meet. The CG in the instructions is about right. I think I'm a bit forward of it. The plane should balance level at its CG point.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:37 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I'd use the tape AND screws. That's that I did with mine and it works real well. As for CG, the plane should remain level when you place your fingers at the CG point. It it's tail heavy, you can move the servos forward, or the wing back a little. Mount the batter pack between the wing and motor mounts. That will help a lot. The best way to do the pushrods is to put a 'Z' bend with each leg about 1/2" long in the middle of the span between the control horn nd servo, then put a small "z" bend where it attaches to the servo. The large Z bend will allow you to adjust the trim of the control surfaces better. You can compress the Z or straighten it out a little to set the control surfaces level.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:17 AM
tomlescal

the cg is on in the book with pico set up.get sliders for servo horns makes easier to adjust for any plane.12x8 prop on 8cell 1100 nimh from bydusa.com.buy aiptek camera to fly,mod by rc camman.stuff fuse with peice of wood.max throws try 400 in few days will post specs ALL I KNOW WITH SS