Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

How do I foam a fuselage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Sinai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I foam a fuselage?

I want to strengthen the front of the fuse in my planes. For the PZ P-51, and the PZ Super Decathlon I bought some "Great Stuff" Gap and Crack filler at Walmart ($4.44). For the SD, I ordered a Venom micro 370P motor.

Do I put the new Venom motor in first before I spray the foam? Have you any info to help with foaming the fuse for strengh?
I know it's been done, but the info I need is buried somewhere on one of these hundreds of pages. I'm searching them right now. Haven't foamed or started to do so yet at all.

I hesitate for two reasons: 1). The foam seems like it will be a one-time use only and I feel like I have to have EVERYTHING ready to go (two PZ P-51's and the SD) before spraying, and 2). THE EXPANSION FACTOR. How much is enough, and at what rate do I apply it all?
Need help, if you can give it.

If not, where else can I find this step by step? OR SHOULD IT BE DONE?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 AM
AJ1202

Default RE: How do I foam a fuselage?

Sinai, your right it has been done and yes you need to have everyting ready before you spray it
helpfull hints are use a straw to go from the fuse area where your ESC will be through the firewall for your wires to run in, wrap tape around your batt compartment to prevent the foam from filling it up. There are pro's and cons to this mod, I did it to my PZ P-51 and then wished I hadn't, it added more weight than I wanted to an already heavy plane, it also created another weak point as behind this new added strength becomes a new area to colapse, On my second P-51 I took strips of FFF about 2" wide and glued them from the firewall all the way down and into the tail area, this has proved to be a good mod for strength and didn't add weight
just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps
Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Sinai

ORIGINAL: AJ1202

Sinai, your right it has been done and yes you need to have everyting ready before you spray it
helpfull hints are use a straw to go from the fuse area where your ESC will be through the firewall for your wires to run in, wrap tape around your batt compartment to prevent the foam from filling it up. There are pro's and cons to this mod, I did it to my PZ P-51 and then wished I hadn't, it added more weight than I wanted to an already heavy plane, it also created another weak point as behind this new added strength becomes a new area to colapse, On my second P-51 I took strips of FFF about 2" wide and glued them from the firewall all the way down and into the tail area, this has proved to be a good mod for strength and didn't add weight
just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps
AJ1202,
Thanks for your reply. It is helpful. I will post pics here when I decide to do it, and we'll see how it goes. I feel dumb for asking: FFF?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:27 PM
clipper

FFF- Fan Fold Foam found at larger home inprovement stores. Ones with older stock.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Sinai

Thank you! Instead of Fan Fold Foam, I used the Great Stuff I had already bought. The P51 is heavier than a mo-fo now! Dang it! oh well, I have two and saved the other one for aerial acrobatics. This one is just a plane I did because I wanted to see "what would happen if" I foamed a fuselage. I will fly it later this week. next time strips of FFF sound like a great idea to try out too!!! These pics are of the SuperD.

I strengthened a broken battery cage with balsa, then covered up the cage with duct tape, and greased a pencil for the wires to come through after it dries. Thanks for the replies, I appreciated it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69928.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	643764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18188.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	643765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42472.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.4 KB