Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New Park Flyer in Hanger

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
it26b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Park Flyer in Hanger

Just finished scratch building my new Pioneer age stand-off scale Farman MF7 Longhorn used by both the British and French as a recon plane early in WW1. Plane is constructed of 3mm foam (plastic coated),.125 sq balsa,bass and spruce with a 34" top 28" Bottom WS, AUW= 8.1 oz. Powered by a 4:1 geared 250 Brushed motor turning a 6.25X4.5 prop and controlled by DX6 Spektrum radio system. Control surfaces are aileron and canard. Will test fly it when weather permits and the hay field grows high enough to provide a softer landing if all is not correct....... no guts!.

it26b
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51404.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	644106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49734.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	644107  
Old 03-17-2007, 09:33 PM
ozrcboy

Default RE: New Park Flyer in Hanger

Wow - looks like a real labor of love.

Let us know how she flys - guessing she is only for no wind days.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Flyer 1

Now that's a nice plane.
I made a similar one last year - a 1/6 scale 1909 Wright Flyer (the world's first "warbird"!). I live close to the Air Force Museum in Dayton, the world's largest. They've got a full-scale replica that I modeled it after, using the actual blueprints they used.
I used traditional wing-warping instead of making ailerons - wanted to keep it perfectly scale and true to the original. I only few it under near-perfect weather conditions and haven't taken it out in months. It's a hangar queen, mostly. It flies great, and very SLOWLY.
I'm working on another version with a six-foot span. I'm doing it a bit differently, though. THIS time, I'm making the airplane with genuine, ACTIVE pilot controls, i.e., the rudder, warping, and elevator levers all work as designed. It's really a miniature airplane with NO electronics except the motors.
How am I gonna control it? Simple! I'm making a radio-controlled WILBUR! He'll have the ESCs, radio equipment, and battery inside himself. His arms will work the controls. I'm holding off on doing too much work on the plane until I'm positive Wilbur works as desired.
Flyer
Old 03-18-2007, 02:13 PM
it26b

Ozrcboy, thanks for the positive comments on my latest scratchbuild. I will let you know how she flies later this spring.

Flyer1, Thanks also for the nice words on my MF7. Your way ahead of me on scale building when you employ wing warping, that's out of my skill level. Love to see pictures of your 1909 military Wright flyer, either static or flying.....got any?. I got into building these ole stick and canvas birds after I purchased a Great Planes ARF Wright Flyer. I always loved them but assumed they were above my skill level to build. The ARF showed how well they could fly and how easy they are to build, if one stays in the "stand-off scale" arena. I was particularly impressed with method GP used to construct the foam wings and their attachment. I was so inspired that I purchased a set of their wings/struts, and power system and scratchbuilt a model of the 1911 Wright Flyer Model B-EX "Vin Fiz" stand-off scale. There are pictures on this forum somewhere. I"ve got dozens of flight on both the WF and the WF Vin Fiz and have not so much as broke a strut as they fly and land to tame. I also built AeroAce powered VinFiz,MF7,Wright flyer that fly great, the 8" WS WF goes like a rocket and turns on a dime at full throttle (very un-scale like) but a riot to fly. Let us know how the 6Ft WS WF progresses. BTW, I have been to the Dayton Museum in late 90's and am planning to go again sometime soon as it is the best.

it26b
Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Flyer 1

I also have one of the Wright Flyers from Great Planes - I thought your strut mounting method seemed similar. It's an excellent plane.
Wing warping isn't too hard, once you've understood the dynamics behind the warping system. Only two wires control the whole shebang. The main pain in constructing a truly scale plane using warping is that you've got to use fully functional, strong wing rigging to make it work, and all struts must allow the wing to pivot on their mounts. Sounds FAR more difficult than it really is!
For a first venture into wing warping, I'd suggest making a Fokker Eindecker. They're great flyers and were wing-warpers.
Flyer
Old 03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
it26b

Flyer1, Yes, I understand the wing warping principle and you are correct that the wing must be wire braced as in "scale" as well as the struts must be jointed for flex as well. All too complicated for my skill level. I have a great appreciation and admiration for the museum quality builder but I tend to hover around the stand-off scale arena, mainly because I would never fly the thing if I put that much effort into it.....no guts HaHa. Well, you started something when you mentioned the Dayton Air Museum, over dinner tonight I was talking to the "boss" about how nice the museum was and she suggested that we should go back again this summer.......of course I agreed.......man, that went well!!!. No plans yet but I do believe we will visit there again this summer......your fault!!!!!

it26b
Jim
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 PM
it26b

Flyer1. forgot to mention again in last post if you have any pictures of the Wright military flyer you built, I would love to see them.

it26b
Jim
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Flyer 1

ORIGINAL: it26b

Flyer1
Well, you started something when you mentioned the Dayton Air Museum, over dinner tonight I was talking to the "boss" about how nice the museum was and she suggested that we should go back again this summer.......of course I agreed.......man, that went well!!!. No plans yet but I do believe we will visit there again this summer......your fault!!!!!

it26b
Jim
Good deal!
You'll be in for a treat, as the AFM has made many changes since the late 90s, all for the better. We've got a F-22 Raptor now to stand and gawk at, as well as numerous other planes including a F-117. Also, lots of things have been re-arranged to allow better views of the aircraft. People who've never been there have NO idea what they're missing - it'd be worth a $50 ticket to get in, but it's FREE! Can't beat that.
It's sort of funny - I actually flew the Wright Flyer there one year during their annual RC exhibition (mainly of Warbirds modelers made of the craft in the museum). Mine was only one of several, but they were all big hits.
I'll try to snap a few pics of it when I can - currently it's hanging from the ceiling in my parent's house and the only pics I've got here are of the non-digital variety.
You're right about the tendancy to stop flying a plane you've put a ton of work into - that's why it's "flying" by wires right now! Truth is, while it flew very well, it was extremely unstable (as was the original). It was deliberately designed to be - the Wrights believed it enhanced the handling qualities to make it that way. So, even though it'd likely qualify as a Slow-Flyer by most standards, the actual handling resembles a P-51 Mustang more than anything else.
Flyer
Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Nice looking bird! Scratch built no less. Thanks for sharing the pics. Don't see balsa dust too often on this part of RCU.

somegeek