Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Typhoon 3D

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:40 PM
speedmistro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Typhoon 3D

i've heard alot about the stock servos stripping after just a few flights. Firstly what is ment by the servos stripping and secondly what servos will i get as stock.

Also i really dont want to pay out money for a rtf if im going to have to take out the stock servos which ill be paying for and never going to use them and was hoping i could by the model with out the radio .

thnx
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I.C.O.N.
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Parkzone Typhoon 3D

You can buy all of the Typhoon parts seperately and put HS81MG's in right off the bat.

Hobbyzone.com has everything you need.

I would go that route. The Parkzone ESC is prone to failure too. I have not heard much bad about the motors though. Mine seems fine.

I am now stripping the last of the servos out of the phoon for HS65mg's and have already had the ESC go out. The ESC was not burned either. Just a loose conection somewhere.

Stripping the servo means that the gears in the servo loose a couple teeth and they just spin and grind. Most servos still come with nylon gears. Kabonite (kb) gears are much tougher. But if you get a set of Metal gears (mg) you will NEVER strip them. I burned out a servo motor once on my HS65MG's but the gears transfered into the next servo and are now going into the phoon.

DNpower lipos work very well too. And are a LOT cheaper then the Thunder power ones.

Make sure to get an extra cowl, main gearbox and shaft too.

What else have you flown before? Do you have a TX/RX? Lipo's and a charger?

Good Luck!
Andy
Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 PM
speedmistro

What happened to your ESC. I found a model shop in sussex that sells the Typhoon in two deals one is the RTF the other is everything but the radio which is perfect. I am thinking of getting Hitec s550 servos and a Hitec o5ms Rx and use my Futaba 6exa Tx. I want to go Li-po but will have to wait till I have money to buy the battary cell balancer and chrager.

Also dose anyone know if with Hitec s550 and 05ms ill be able to get expotential.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 PM
netdudeuk

Expo is nothing to do with the servos. It's configured on the TX. I'd suggest that you use the stock servos. Many people have had no problems with them. You get spare gears in with the plane.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
speedmistro

oh right i didnt relise it was only to do with the tx i cant wait to get my 3d typhoon.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Nebukatnizar

wait, so what servo's should i get......the HS65mg or the HS81mg

also, so i was gona buy one......so its a good plane.....just that the servos will strip, and i should buy new servos..............and that it may seem enderpoweerd and may have to convert to lipo batteries.....

anything else...i mean it's a good plane right...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Mr. Mugen

Just get the plastic gear hs-81 they are much lighter and still overkill. They have plenty of torque (they never stall) and speed is great. I have not stripped one yet. They are 18.00 a piece instead of 34.00 too. Kevin
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
I.C.O.N.

I love my Phoon. It is a good Intro to 3D plane...

The only reason I put HS65MG's in mine is because I had them for my Rex... ...which needs some new bearings so it won't miss them for a bit.

I would go with HS81MG's. The MG's are $4 more and then NO WORRIES! Although they are a bit heavier... I still love metal!
The 81's are also a perfect size fit for the phoon. the 65's are smaller and more expensive... I will go with 81's when my rex wants the 65's back.

speedmistro, not sure about the servos you asked about... ...and my ESC just went dead. I came in from a flight on which I did not crash and two days later went to fly and it was dead... not burnt, just dead. Full servo movement but no motor life.

The one in my Stryker C however is working great and I have been VERY hard on that one. That one is a stock parkzone ESC... Although differnet from the stock Phoon ESC I believe.

Have Fun!
Andy
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Nebukatnizar

so...buy a phoon.....buy HS81 ....and im set...

no worries...?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXN676&P=ML

or

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXN679&P=ML
Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
I.C.O.N.

The second link... IMHO.

And "No Worries"... Well no worries about the MG's anyway... They will outlive the faom.

Take it easy though. The foam is tuff but not indestructable.

Get an extra gearbox and shaft set. Then pick up some E6000 craft glue. It dries overnight but it is flexable and tough as nails. You can putty it around stuff nicely. or some foam safe CA if you need a fix now.

Were you looking at the RTF? Or did you have a TX/RX? I forgets.

Good Luck!
Andy
Old 03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Nebukatnizar

im looking to get an rtf cause i dont have money for a trans/ or reciever ..

and i mean, like no toher major problems with the plane...just the servo's..??
Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I.C.O.N.

My ESC went out. But the TX and RX have had few complaints from what I have read so far.

If you are just learning the MG's will save you a lot of cash and time. Simply buy another set of wings and a fuse for $40 and you have a whole new plane. The Ailerons, rudder and elevator are easily made.

Have Fun!
Andy
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Nebukatnizar

wait what do you mean...learning MG's..........you mean new to metal servos...what does tht have to do with new wings and fuselage..........??

and as far as the esc...its bad??!!

whats bad with the tx and rx....

from the sound of it...are there any other good rtf 3d planes???
Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I.C.O.N.

The TX/RX are limited. They are for beginners to get thier feet wet. You will outgrow it and most likely not transfer it to any other plane.

I meant, new to flying in my remarks... not metal gears...

RTF's in this price range are on the cheap side all the way around. The ESC I had went bad. From what I have read Horizon is pretty good about replacing bad electronics if they fail in normal use.

Maybe there is a better RTF... ... I can only give you my XP from the Phoon.

Have Fun!
Andy
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Nebukatnizar

alright i think ill stick to typhoon...if my servos brake ...ill buy hs 81 metal or not metal...ill see, then as far as the esc, i mean im just a backyard flyer nothing fancy...it'll do...as loing as it controls my typhoon as it shoudl when i want it too, ill be happy.....
Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 PM
jmir

Just make sure your elevator and rudder are loosen up. They come way too stiff in stock form and that is one of the main reasons the servos fail. I actually cut the plastic holding the elevator and replaced it with hinge tape so it will not offer any resistance to the stock servos. Been flying the Typhoon this way with original servos for the past 5 months or so without any problems.

If you don't loosen up the elevator and rudder or if you crash the Typhoon, or do some cartwheels on rough landings, then expect some stripped servos since the control areas are so large and the servos are not top quality. In those situations, even the HS81's might strip.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 PM
jaytee

I have a Typhoon and want to switch over to lipo. I was going to by the batteries from maxamp but I need to know what connectors, ends etc to get anyone know? Whats a good cheap charger?
Old 03-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Shane100

First off I loved my typhoon rtf...but I have had some of the reported problems with mine. First off I thought I was going crazy when I first crashed it. I was coming in for a landing and out of no where it nose dived when I was inputting up elevator. I thought to myself ***. I asked my lhs owner and he said it would stall at low speeds. I thought that was the problem so I replaced the bent drive gear and tried again. Flew it a couple of times with no problem then out of nowhere it did it again this time at altitude so no damage. I just brought it down with no problems. So I swapped the RX with my "Bullet Proof Stryker" which can withstand crashes very well. And what do you know I'm flying my Stryker fast and level at about 100ft and like magic it goes into a fast roll. Bad RX! Now I'm flying my phoon with the Stryker’s RX and all of the sudden no elevator control! Striped servo...New Hobbico Commando HCAM0111 $19.00 servo and another new drive gear and back up into the sky. A few good flights and then out of control and stuck in a tree for about 3hrs. Once retrieved the motor is fried and the plane is done! I take the RX and put it back into my Stryker and go fly with no problems. Then one day my dumb @$$ leaves the transmitter in the back of my truck over night and it got rained on. Trashed it because I didn't want to risk it and I had the transmitter from the phoon. So I switched the crystals and use the phoon transmitter on the Stryker. Just reverse a servo and add the mix. But on preflight check I notice the motor sputtering. So I decide I'm done with Parkzone radio equipment and pull a Futaba RX out of my tribute and use my Futaba 4EX in my Stryker and have not had any problems since. I have also purchased a new typhoon PNP and put a new GWS RX and used the same Hobbico servo for elevator. It is going strong with no problems. I have about 20 flights on it and have not even had a hard landing! I really love my phoon. I only wish I would have started with the PNP, but I liked the dual rates which my Futaba 4EX does not have. So now I just use expo. Lesson learned.

In summary, 1 bad Parkzone RX, 1 bad Parkzone servo (probably caused by the crash the RX caused), and 1 bad Parkzone transmitter.
I think you can get by with the stock PNP version but on your first crash replace the elevator servo. It will go bad. It is as my LHS owner says designed to fly not crash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72875.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	647779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95258.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	647780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96174.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	647781  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Shane100

JT,
I recommend Deans connectors. The first thing I did to my Typhoon was cut off the connectors and solder on some deans. I have never flown mine with the NiMh because I already had 2 lipos for my Stryker that had Deans on them.

I also bought 2 of these and they work better than my Parkzone lipos.

[link=https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2045]$32.53 2200mAH 3s 20-30c lipo pack[/link]

They also have chargers but I have not tried them. Probably going to get one soon as my current one says error all the time.