Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27B

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27B

Swift427,

I flew my F-27B Stryker with Thunder Power 3S-2100 15 C battery, stock motor, stock ESC and APC E 6X4 using a 2.3mm prop adapter.

I always flew wide open throttle from beginning to the end...well most of the time. Occasionally it was nice to go so high that my friends could not find the Stryker without knowing where to look and I just take forever to glide down.

My motor ran very hot due to being full throttle for the whole capacity of the battery. Occasionally I ran 1, 2, or 3 blue Heli heat sinks from E-flight. They were too small and had to spread pretty Wide open to snap onto the motor. But there has been many times when I didn't run the stock motor with any heat sinks due to friends having greater needs and using them or they were on my Twin stock motored Stryker, 2 per motor.

The only time I burned out my motors was due to using a APC E 6X5.5 and forgetting about it. In 2 days I burned 3 motors before remembering/realizing what I had done.
At the time I put it on, I intended on taking it easy for the remaining juice in my battery just to show some relatives and friends what R/C planes are like.

Still given that the APC 6X4 is not far from 6X5.5(which can kill a new motor in a single flight) and my various stock motors with 6X4 ran very hot, no... very very hot, I want to say that I think you were a bit too hard on drunkenbushman.

The 6X4 draws 15.5-16A from a full battery in static condition, that draw gets reduced a good deal in flight due to the 1.5:1 prop diameter to pitch ratio.

Surely there can be more tactful ways of conveying your feelings and thoughts.
I'm all for jumping down someone's throat after they tell a few obvious lies and make a habit of doing it. But no such behavior has been demonstrated by drunkenbushman. And there is no definite proof to doubt what he is saying.
Theory aside...you should look at me closer instead of him. I'm running up to 95+ Amp in a MEGA brushless motor 16/25/2 2650KV rated for 35A and the motor does not even get past warm.

Either way,.... the way you approached him was not a very constructive way of posting. I've read some of the posts by both of you in the past and you have both contributed to the forum.
Fairly certain you guys can make friends in a couple of PMs. Good thing things did not go too far. Time to shake hands in a PM. I bet drunkenbushman is up to it, are you?

Cool?

Gryphon
Old 06-22-2007, 08:15 AM
robertdownes25

I saw a post on another thread recently about a guy ditching his rear stabs and putting on two smaller versions on the tips of each wing.
I tried it last night, and have to say it does not work very well. I think the fins were still too big even at half the size of the standard ones, and it made the bird very twitchy in the air, and slow to respond to left and right input.
As they were at a slight angle they also created extra wind resistance and really slowed her down. The only improvement it made was, I think, faster roll capability.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
robertdownes25

Get my 1700Kv brushless this week. Am really hoping it will fit in the stock mount? Does anyone have any tips for succesful mounting - oogh er.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Gryphon

robertdownes25,

Hi there, nice to see you upgrading. You mentioned 1700KV, which motor?
Do you have a link for it?

Worst case scenario, maybe the F-27B motor mount can be adapted.
I guess we need to know which motor you bought.

Later,
Gryphon

Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 AM
robertdownes25

Hi
Motor fits like a glove. Just need to make a minor mod for the screw fixings but it shouldn't be a prob.
The new problem I have now though is that the ESC has come minus any instructions. So although I know where the other leads at the front end of the ESC go i.e. battery and three pin servo connector, I don't know which of the three leads at the back of the ESC go on the three from the motor?
Can anyone tell me if there's a real risk I may blow somthing up if I have a play around with these three leads to try and find the right one?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:53 PM
johnpcunningham

Hey guys,

I sell the EZ-ESC which allow you to use your current TX and RX and run a brushless motor on the F27B. Check out this link and email me if you have any questions.
Cost is $30 and $5 for shipping anywhere in the world. I use Paypal - send payment to [email protected]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#5735217

I also have the EZ-XPORT. Imageine an F-27B or C dogfighting with the sonic combat modules from Hobbyzone!!!

I've uploaded the latest user's guides for you all to look at.

Regards,

John Cunningham
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fd90745.pdf (83.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf
Xt60241.pdf (95.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
johnpcunningham

they can go into any combination and everything will be fine with one exception.

Test it first and see which direciton the prop turns. If it turns in the wrong direction, swap the outside two wires and test again. Fairly basic setup. I do not believe there is a risk of burning anything wup - I've done this many times with no problem.

JC
Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Gryphon

robertdownes25 ,

Swap any 2 of 3 wires. No risk.

Gryphon
Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 AM
robertdownes25

Hi John Cunningham,
If you remember, you sold me an EZ ESC converter last week. You mailed it to me last Tuesday I think, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm sure it'll be with me in a day or two. I am desperate for it, as it's the last piece of my brushless set up jigsaw, and I can't wait to see what kind of performance my 'darkside' bird will have.
Everything's wired to go, just need the EZ ESC converter!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:50 AM
robertdownes25

JP: got home last night and EZ ESC waiting for me. Many thanks.

Gryphon: Here's the stats for that motor.

Rpm(Kv): 1700Rpm/V
Max Currect: 28A
Recommended Input Voltage: 6 -20 Volt
Max Eff: 96%
Weight: 73g (Motor only)
Total Length: 54mm (Motor and Shaft)
Motor Body Diameter: 27.8mm
Shaft Diameter: 3.14mm(Front)
Shaft Length: 15.1mm

Got it off ebay. It's all wired and ready to go, but have yet to test as I am now waiting for a prop adapter which I didn't know I needed - hmmph! Anyway, weather here rubbish, so will have to wait for that to clear up first anyway.
Running it without the prop seems impressive though. It makes a high pitch whine at low revs and builds to a pretty noisy racket. I'm hoping that with it swinging a 7x5 prop I'm going to be good for F27 C speeds and unlimited vertical? Do you think this is optimistic?

Old 07-27-2007, 06:32 PM
avalentine

I'm working on my first stryker. Bought a bare body, fins etc. I want to run an Xtra 2826/09 outrunner. I've used this motor before on another plane using a Thunderbird 18amp speed controller running an 8cell 1100mhp nmh pack on an 8 x 4 prop. I plan on using a 3 cell 1500mhp lipo in the stryker. This motor is rated 1820kva and I want to run a 7 x 5 prop, am I going to fry something? The motor/esc combo worked fine with the nimh pack, barely got warm. I'm still kind of new to lipos so I'm not sure.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
tam popo

Hiya Avelentine, welcome to Stryker land!! Can't answer question regarding size of lipo for your motor/esc (what make/model is it?), but just a few tips (1) Strengthen the fuse/wings using carbon fibre rods/tubes as per Somegeeks and Critterhunters excellent tips - will ma.ke the bird last a lot longer. (2) with the strengthening tips are ways of venting the fuse to aid cooling, whether you have Nimh or lipos. You can go normal or full-on, its up to you and what you end up running. My Birds - b/less tower pro and Hyperions, 25A/35A esc's and 2200 lipos. Not the full Monty but great fun and fast enough for an old Coot like me. Building to do, Byeee!![8D]
Old 07-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Gryphon

robertdownes25,

You did not mention the resistance of your motor ( Io) nor the brand of your motor so I can look up the resistance (if it is published).

But a far as I can see with the above info, you should be on par with F-27C motor or MEGA 16/15/5 type of performance, but all depending on the resistance value.

After 7X5, I would probably try the 7X6 for about same climbing but even a little more speed (using my wattmeter and also motor case temp as indicators). Motor case temp can help you get some kind of idea.

I assume you are using the F-27C ESC at 25A constant rating. You might start to push it some....so use a wattmeter is hurting is 200% not an option.

If using the stock F-27C battery...not sure what to tell you....get rid of it, or use it for the first or last flight of the day with a smaller prop.

Unlimited vertical...not sure at all, I would not take that bet to be safe, but the odds start to look a whole lot more promising with 7.5X5...again wattmeter, battery, ESC and motor resistance and case temp all come into play.

I'm fairly certain that we can find you a prop to keep up or pass the F-27C...so you are not way off or anything.

**** Tell me about the climbing of F-27C....is it real unlimited or internet unlimited??? Meaning if you were to fly 20-25MPH and then give full up elevator to become vertical, then as the plane slows for a second you give full throttle, will it keep from stalling and going down or will it keep climbing vertical no matter how slow till the plane goes way up high? {Not to be attempted at low altitude so it can be recovered}

Gryphon
Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Gryphon

avalentine,

Yes, I believe you are going to fry something. I have not said that many times, and for your info: I'm a fan of pushing motors.....

This article looked favorable until I deduced that it might be on 2S using their posted data and motorcalc software results.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...479507&page=50
I don't want to go through all of the pages to see what battery was run: 2S or 3S lipoly. I think it was 2S and that you will over heat the motor on 3S, your ESC could burn out and your battery might get damaged..Just not sure which is first.

*** If I were you, I would go through all of the pages and see what number of cells they were running on those planes.... See what battery " Vantasstic " was running. You might find him here with same name??

Who knows it might live for a while????

Good luck,

Gryphon
Old 07-30-2007, 04:49 AM
robertdownes25

Hi guys
First test on Friday evening with my new set up - WOW. I thought making the leap from NM H to Lipo was big, but this was something else (21003S, 1700Kv outrunner, 30amp esc, 7x4 APC).
I am now a true dark-sider!
Hand launched into a 10mph breeze WOT and she just went up, up, up, at about an 80 degree angle, no hint of a stall, and within seconds she was at the kind of altitude which would have taken me a few good circuits of my field to get to before on my old brushed/lipo set up.
Throttled down and I reckon at half throttle she was doing the same straightline as the brushed. Climbing is awesome, although there's no unlimited vertical. I wonder if tinkering with props may get me there. She goes up fast but eventually runs out of steam - perhaps four times better climb rtae than before.
I'm running on a 7x4 prop, but have a 7x5 coming in the post this week- I'm not sure what difference this will make, if it will mean faster straight line at the sacrafice of climb? I think it will make it faster on the rule that for every seven turns it will move forward 5 inches? Any views, elders?
I've noticed that she loses altitude a lot quicker now without power, but not sure if this is down to the fact she is a little more nose heavy as the brushless set up is about 30-40g lighter, and all the weight save is at the back. It could also be extra drag from the larger prop, and I have noticed there's a beautiful gravelly hum sound caused by the prop spining freely in the breeze when she's gliding which didn't used to get. It sounds evil, but in a great way!
Think I'm going to get used to this set up for a few months, and will upgrade next spring to a more powerful motor. I think the darkside is sucking me in...
Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
avalentine

The battery I am using is an Electrifly 1500mh 15c 3 cell lipo. I've already bench run the Xtra 2826/09 with this battery using the Thunderbird 18 speed controller (LHS says it's peak rated @ 25amp) on a 7 X 4 apc gas prop. I ran it for a while going back and forth from WOT to half throttle no problem. I think with this pitch prop I'll be OK. I finally got the stryker finished last night, Looks good to me, balanced right on the sweet spot. I'll fly it for sure sometime this week and let you guys know how everything (electronics) goes.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
johnpcunningham

R,

You used the EZ-ESC on your F-27 to go brushless. How did it work out for you?

JC
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM
robertdownes25

Hi John
Excellent, no probs at all, and an easy install to boot. Worked first time, no messing.
Cheers!
RD
Old 08-03-2007, 03:40 PM
avalentine

I maidend my stryker yesterday, flew great once I got her trimmed out. It wasn't as fast as some of my other wings but way more stable and with better vertical. Didn't fly to much WOT until I could see how hot everthing was getting, did a couple full throttle passes and landed to see how hot everything was. Motor was barely warm and the ESC was cool to the touch, no problems there so far.
Set-up for now is:
Xtra 2826/09 outrunner (1820kv)
Thunderbird 18 ESC
Electrifly 1500ma 15c 3 cell lipo
APC 7 x 4 prop
This thing flys like its on rails and with no wiggle when doing basic (no rudder) pattern manuveres. I plan on trying a 7 x 5 prop this weekend for some more speed. Will keep you guys posted. I think I've taken my first step towards the darkside...
Old 08-06-2007, 04:44 AM
robertdownes25

I'm using a very similar set up to you, except 20c battery and 30 amp ESC, and a 1700Kv motor. Get that 7x5 on ASAP. Massive difference for mine compared to 7x4. Say hello to unlimited vertical!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:56 AM
avalentine

Hey Robert, I still haven't tried the 7x5, put a meter on it at the local club field and I'm pulling around 17 amps, close to what my ESC is rated. I will get a 30A soon enough and try the higher pitch props then, I've got a handful of them. So your seeing a big difference with the 7x5? Mine seems to fly fine with the 7x4, the motor spins nice and fast and pushes the plane through any manuvere but I could definately use some more speed.
Will keep you posted.
Andrew
Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 AM
robertdownes25

Avelentine
The difference is that big I blew my motor mount up after about five minutes on a 7x5. Had hammered it several times with a 7x4 no problem, but first time up with a 7x5 and part way through an inverted loop the plane exploded into about five or six pieces. Motor took the ESC, the EZ Esc converter I had just brought, the battery, and the forward front canopy, plus the prop adapter and prop. Fortunately found everything bar the canopy and prop (incidentally the prop cut through the beer can motor mount reinforcing). Now plan to make a bespoke canopy from an empty plastic bottle. I'm going for the F16 'bubble canopy' look. Probably won't do much for the aerodynamics, but it'll look sh*t hot.
In an earlier posting Gryphon recommends using a 7x5.5. That will be my next purchase.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:46 AM
tam popo

Robert - canopy: take a look at Tesco's home make mouth wash bottles, cut in haf they're ideal. Won't win any prizes but you'll have the freshest breath at the flying filed. Byeeee.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
avalentine

Hey guys, I had my reservations about posting this but figured I would as a reminder to all about safety. Was at the club field with the wife, she likes to be involved and wanted to launch the new stryker. Now I always launch power off and throttle up when clear, she kind of flubbed the toss and it stalled right as I hit the gas, she reached up to keep it from hitting the ground and her hand went right into the prop. She got two deep gashes on the bottom of her right ring finger, one of them running the length of it, it was bad, just layed open. There was a couple of other guys at the field and they helped me get a towel on her hand and into my truck for a quick trip to the emergency room. Forty seven stiches and a tetnaus shot for her made me think real hard about this hobby. I've flown glow for years and nicked myself a few times but nothing like this. My stryker is by no means a true darksider but it is a far cry from from one of the old brushed speed 400 models. I stressed many times to the wife of the prop hazard and she knew, but still instinctivly tried to keep the new plane from hitting the ground. luckily there was no nerve or tendon damage but the doctor said it will take over a month to heal, understandably the support for my hobby at home is at an all time low. I know we all try to practice safety but now and then we need a reminder that we are not playing with toys when we start to get into the higher powered planes, especialy the pusher type's. Just wanted you guys to know.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM
robertdownes25

Nasty. Hope she recovers OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.