Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

first ever flight today-slow stick

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

first ever flight today-slow stick

Old 02-15-2003, 11:01 PM
pcpacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first ever flight today-slow stick

I have never flown an RC plane before today. I bought the slow stick about 3 days ago and built it exactly like the instructions say, except I used standard sized servos and receiver. There was about 8-9 mph wind, but I couldn't wait.

Wow, it was awesome. I was nervous about going without any experienced help, but I have used FMS for a few hours, and I had no problems today.

The landing gear is cheap. My run times with 7.2/600mah nicad were quite short. I could do loops in the first few minutes up in the air, but after that it wasn't possible.

Lots of fun

any advice would be great
Old 02-16-2003, 11:29 AM
sierra gold

Default Re- "Landing gear are cheap"

I assume you really are referring to the wheels that came with the kit, the LG are not too bad.

A lot of people have replaced them with wheels that have foam tires available from several places or your LHS. I got mine from NE Sailplanes on the Internet.

The stock wheel spokes will break easily. Also saw a post where someone had used clear packing tape over both sides of the spokes as a reenforcement. Neither CA or epoxy glues will work on the plastic spokes when they break. Someone mentioned that Goop does work.

I added an additional wire running between the "V" of the landing gear about half way up after I started running an 8 cell 1100 mah battery pack... extra weight puts more stress on the LG. This helps to prevent the "spreading" of the V in the LG.

The SS is a great plane, especially for $35.

Sierra
Old 02-16-2003, 09:32 PM
RMason

pcpacker - welcome to electric flying.

Great news on the maiden of the Slow Stick. www.nesail.com has replacement wheels that really work good on the stock wire. I have them on my SS's. To get MUCH better performance, get a set of 8 cell 720 NiMH batteries. 12 - 15 min flights with loops easily all through the flight. Also it will climb easily at a 45* angle with these batteries. They run about $35 at the LHS's.

Rob

also check out www.ezonemag.com for more info. Dedicated E-Flight site.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 AM
LESLIEx317537
My Feedback: (1)

Rob, which cam you got on your SS?
Old 02-17-2003, 05:22 AM
Arrow>>-->

Hey Pc what part of Utah are you at. I am near Provo and fly a Pico stick and am trying to get my Beaver to fly.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:23 AM
pcpacker

I am up in Farmington. I love my slow stick, but I am excited to move up to ailerons. I flew with a guy who had a pico stick today. Great plane. I can't decide if my next plane should be a gws p-51 or a wattage crazy max.