Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Busting into electrics - need lots of expert help!

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Busting into electrics - need lots of expert help!

Old 02-17-2003, 11:10 PM
MMatheny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busting into electrics - need lots of expert help!

OK, my wife said I could get the GWS P-51! Now, I am new to electrics (have flown some semi-hot glow, so not new to the hobby). So I have a bunch of questions. Here goes:

1. I want to get the best performance and flight times for this plane (no brushless motors yet!). What battery pack would you recommend? (I want aerobatics)

2. Receiver - can I use a sub miniture RX that I buy for this plane in a .40 - .60 size glow also? (looking to the future) Will the micros drive standard servos?

3. What ESC? I understand if I get one with a programmable BEC I could use Li-Poly batteries and have it cut off before the battery voltage drops too low for them. And here's another question about Li-Poly - MAN had a nice write-up about them. Anyone use them yet? Seems if you treat them nice, they give you lots of power and long flight times with very low weight. What kind of current draw does the GWS 300 motor that comes with this model have? Will the Li-Polys give it the power it needs?

4. I want to put the retracts on. Are the ones from GWS somebody elses, or are they built special for these park flyers? Are there lightweight foam (not styrofoam!) wheels that will fit in the wheel wells?

5. What charger? I want something I can charge with in the field - figure maybe take couple of battery packs, one flying while the other charging. I also want something that can cycle and discharge my TX and RX batteries (Futaba 6XA) and check the capacity. What's the best bang for the buck that I don't have to be an battery expert to work?

6. What RX? If I can use the RX for my glow stuff, would like to get at least a 6 ch.

7. What servos? Are the itsy-bitsy ones really worth $10 to $15 ea more over the ones slightly larger ones?

8. Any other tips and help anyone can give me - man, with glow, just got an engine, mounted it and fired it up and went. Gassed it up when empty - repeat! Lots of things to consider with electrics - but I like the idea of just loading up and going to the local park for some fun and not bothering anyone.

Thanx in advance,
Mike
Old 02-18-2003, 12:14 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. get the recommended paks buy 3 or 4 of them charge them at home and get 7-10 minutes out of each
Old 02-18-2003, 12:25 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. get the recommended paks buy 3 or 4 of them, charge them at home and get 7-10 minutes out of each

2. personally I wouldnt use a parkflyer rx (micro) in a glow plane unless you fly 1/2a really close in ,not a .40 plane
3.play with it first w/ batt paks,, lipoly needs diff charger, a 400 motor is a much as it will take for now IMHO high$ investment for a foam plane,ESC has to be different for a brushless set up too.

4. retracts on a foamie? thats a personal thing
5. charger do some research, I use a wattage
6. I would go with a 6 ch TX you can get a micro setup with it for your parkflyer and an additonal flightpak for your .40

7. go micro/pico in a parkflyer from pico to mini they triple in size

8.play with it before you throw a lot of money at it..\best advise
oh and have fun with it!! Rog
Old 02-18-2003, 12:26 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

2. Receiver - can I use a sub miniture RX that I buy for this plane in a .40 - .60 size glow also? (looking to the future) Will the micros drive standard servos?
Just read the small print before you buy the receiver. Some of the smaler ones like the GWS pico and the Hitec feather have a 1000 foot max range. This is fine for park flyers, but a 60 size glow could easily go beyond this.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:29 AM
Tippie

Wow! You've got lots of questions. You might want to stick you head in the door at: www.ezonemag.com and get registered in their discussion group. (All Electric forum) Check the "FAQ" column.
Chargers, I use a FMA Direct - Super Nova. Works great. It is DC only. If you want to use in on the bench you need to get a power supply of about 12v@12amp capacity or greater. You can make one cheap by modifying a PC power supply, plenty of threads on how to do that, and you can do it for anywhere from $0 to