Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Brushless...why, why not, what kind??

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Brushless...why, why not, what kind??

Old 02-17-2003, 11:56 PM
jchuston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless...why, why not, what kind??

Hey all-

Ok, I bought a Crazy Max from Tower on Friday...hasn't shipped yet but I am thinking about upgrading...

What is the deal with brushless motors...from what I hear, the standard motor will last through about 40 flights then needs to be replaced...is this true...also, how long would a brushess motor last...10-20 times longer since the price is so much more...

Also, I hardly know one electric motor from another. If I wanted to go brushless with the wattage crazy max, what kind do I get???

Thanks

-John Huston
Old 02-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Zerobomber

Default anouther brushless motor question

Hey, does anyone know about hobb-lobbys Bu-133 Jungmister. It requires a brushless, but i was wondering if that was just for performence or if you could "down grade" and use a normal motor.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:01 AM
latch66

Default Re: Brushless...why, why not, what kind??

Originally posted by jchuston
Hey all-

Ok, I bought a Crazy Max from Tower on Friday...hasn't shipped yet but I am thinking about upgrading...

What is the deal with brushless motors...from what I hear, the standard motor will last through about 40 flights then needs to be replaced...is this true...also, how long would a brushess motor last...10-20 times longer since the price is so much more...

Also, I hardly know one electric motor from another. If I wanted to go brushless with the wattage crazy max, what kind do I get???

Thanks

-John Huston
The brushless will basically last forever. You may eventually have to replace the bearings/bushings, but that's it.

As far as performance goes, once you fly an airplane with brushless power, it will be clear to you. Better efficiency and more watts/volt. Better runtimes at the same amp pull. Everything better. But please note what I said about amp pull..... The Brushless will pull more amps usually than a "can" motor, so your runtimes may actually go down. It's according to how agressive you fly. But at the SAME amp pull, the brushless will give a better run time because it is more efficient.

I don't know what motor is in a Crazy Max, so unfortunately I can't help you there. If it's a speed 400 type, there are many direct replacements. If it's a speed 280 type there are several different brushless motors also. Do a search on the Crazy Max and see what you hit on.

Good Luck.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:02 AM
latch66

Default Re: anouther brushless motor question

Originally posted by Zerobomber
Hey, does anyone know about hobb-lobbys Bu-133 Jungmister. It requires a brushless, but i was wondering if that was just for performence or if you could "down grade" and use a normal motor.
If a model is recommended for a brushless from the start, I would be very hesitant about "downgrading it". The money saved will probably not be worth the performance lost.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:11 AM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Hey John,

That Crazy Max looks like a fun plane! You may want to consider a Mega 16/15/5. they are brushless and the same size as a speed 400. The price seems better than other brands. I don't have one, but I am using a brushless Astro 020 in a Zagi and a brushless Hacker B20 15L 4:1 on a Wattage Crazy 8. Maybe someone with a Mega brushless will respond. By the way, I've heard that you can't wear out a brushless motor. I know I'm trying every chance I get!!!

TX

Check out the review

http://www.ezonemag.com/cgi-bin/alis...+max&submit=GO
Old 02-18-2003, 03:14 AM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

You need to try the CM with the stock 370 motor first. Performance is very good on 8x800 nimh packs. I have Hacker B20-15L's and the Astro 010 brushless. I see no need for them on the CM. The fuselage is so flimsy that I wouldn't even consider mounting one of these high dollar motors in it anyway. You'll be very happy with the speed and aerobatics of the CM as is. If you want to go brushless plan to use a more substantial airframe like the Mountain Models SwitchBack or MiniFlash. The Stevens AeroModels Cap or RV-4 would also work well.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:05 AM
sslandry

John,
I just bought a Hacker B20 26L direct drive for my CM. It has not gotten here yet, but I will let you know how it is once I get it in the air. Hacker specifically recommends using the B20 26L and the CM factory gearbox and a 9X6 slow fly prop on it's website. Judjing form the dimesions of the motor, I will be doing some modification to make it fit. I agree with Badmeat that the CM stock setup has plenty of power, but I just wanted straight vertical flight. I am running a custom made balsa fuselage. The stock fuse is flimsy and does not have the room for the bruchless setup and the bigger battery pack I plan on getting. I will let you know how it goes.

scott
Old 05-02-2003, 04:27 AM
sslandry

John, The B20 26L with the 4:1 gearbox sucked. I traded it in for a B20 18L with gearbox and it rocks. It gives 16 OZ of thrust so I can hang the plane on the prop. It was hell finding the 3mm prop shaft adapter and mounting it required a crafy home made job, but it is finally done and man this plane really flys now. It also runs for as long or even longer than the stock set-up. It uses a 10X7 prop which provides alot of rotational tork. Thrust angle is now off and my mount won't allow me to change it, so I have compensated with triming the plane. I am now going to move to the WATTAGE LIVE WIRE. It should have the proper thrust angle because it too uses the 10 inch prop. Good luck and hope this helps.

Scott
Old 05-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

sslandry

It was hell finding the 3mm prop shaft adapter and mounting it required a crafy home made job, but it is finally done and man this plane really flys now.
Try the Great Planes 3mm prop shaft adapter and 5mm prop nut. Both available at Tower. They work very well on my Hacker B20 15L 4:1.

TX