Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Hobbyzone Supercub charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 AM
chipmeisterc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbyzone Supercub charger

Hi there, as some of you are aware after my recent spitfire post, I am looking into purchasing the hobbyzone supercub later this month.

However I have just stumbled across the following piece of information..

" All UK versions of the Super Cub do not have a mains charger but do include a fast charging variable rate DC (car) charger."

Does anyone know how long this charger takes to fully charge the batt?
Are these 'fast rate' chargers prone to destroying batts pretty quick?

Any first hand experience with the super cub and this charger, or any other tips hugely appreciated!

Thanks again!
Chris
Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
CitaFly

Default RE: Hobbyzone Supercub charger

ORIGINAL: chipmeisterc

Any first hand experience with the super cub and this charger, or any other tips hugely appreciated!

Thanks again!
Chris
Go here:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=28]Hobby Zone SC Articles[/link]

No experience with using the DC charger.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
chipmeisterc

cant find anything specific on there about car charger, charging times, thats what im after
Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 PM
cjg

The car charger charges at up to 1.2 amps. That means a 1100mah (1.1 amp) battery will take a little less than an hour to charge if it is fully discharged.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 PM
davemac2

The HZ 1026 charger will charge anywhere from 1 to 1.2A as it comes from the factory. I measured mine and it was just under 1A with the pot fully clockwise. The charger uses an 8 pin IC that has a proper 0 delta-V peak detection. It uses an unregulated current source controlled by the pot setting which controls the base current of the pass transistor. It should perform as well as any other delta V charger IMHO. The current won't vary all that much as the charge progresses if off a 12V DC battery. The pass transistor inside is a T42C rated at 6A maxmimum. It is possible to modify the charger slightly to get charge currents as high as 2.5A I would think without a lot of work or extra expense. All that needs to be done is to reduce some of the resistance on the pre-base driver of the pass transistor. The only issue may be the capacity of the internal heatsink and possibly replacing the pack connector leads with something shorter and a little heavier gauge. Extra cooling could be addressed by tacking on a small 12V cooling fan similar in size to those used for the PC video cards, but that may not even be necessary if you intend to only charge 7 or 8 cell batteries and not the lower cell count packs.

cheers,

davemc
Old 04-16-2007, 06:23 AM
pommieroger

i have had very bad results in the dc car charger i am in australia and we only get the dc charger aswell mine apears to be fully charged after 15-20 minutes so i have to re charge it another 2 times to get the full charge
below is a link to a post on another good site for the super cub i have posted the battery problem there

http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1176168984