Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

PICO-STICK-FD vs F280

Old 02-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Quinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PICO-STICK-FD vs F280

I am new to the R/C Plane world and just got comfortable with a Firebird 2.
Tonight I purchased a PICO-STICK-FD along with GWS Flight Pack and a JLine Quattro
Can a person replace the FD motor with a F280 motor? I went over GWS`s website and it would seem that one could use the F280 motor mount along with the 280 motor with no problems.
In my search through this forum I found that most people have been upgrading battery packs. What is the best way to go about this?

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Old 02-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

imo you've choosen a very good setup to start out with; it's a great package price considering everything that it comes with. I have tried the F280 conversion kit for my Pico FD and the performance is well below that of the stock setup, ROG is difficult.

There are only a couple of mods/pointers I would recomend:

* get a couple of 9x7 prop instead of the supplied 10x4.7, they work much better outdoors and in breezy conditions.

* reinforce the leading and trailing edge of the wings (like the Stick (non FD) versions); cut a couple of 6" or so bamboo skwers and use packing tape to secure to the edges.

* the stock 6 cell 2/3 AA pack works well; remember that it works best fresh off the charger - eg, if you charged it this morning and don't fly till late afternoon or tomorrow, put it back onto the charger for about 3 to 5min to "top it off". Using any other packs required modifying the battery compartment.

* You should have better luck with the EPS100C (280 motor) compared to the 280 Direct Drive system. Another option which I am currently using which works very well is the Dual IPS drive, more than adequate power.

For now, give the stock motor a go, it's a blast!
Old 02-21-2003, 11:49 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah and your stock motor is only gonna last for 30 or 40 flights anyway before it gives up the ghost..... it will act like the batteries arent fully charged on its last few flights and then you just wont be able to climb or maintain altitude....Rog
Old 02-22-2003, 05:53 AM
Quinn

Thanks for the tips Peter. I will look into those other motors.
The reply from flyinrog about the stock motor. Is this due to overheating ? Should I use the heatsink on the motor ?

I was told today out at the field that the glue that comes with the kit is no good. What glue should be used for foam ?
Old 02-22-2003, 06:19 AM
Peter Khor

I have heat sinks on all my IPS stuff; motors have lasted ~60++ flights or more on 6 cell packs.

GWS Glue - it's a contact cement; you spread thinly on both surfaces, wait a while for it to dry tacky (~3 to 5min), then align and press both parts together. I've not had a problem with the glue; on some parts (other GWS planes) I would prefer to use epoxy or foam safe CA. But on the Pico FD, the glue should be fine imo.

Another motor option is IPS S1 gearing on 8x6 prop or 9x7 (hotter motor, shorter life).

Good luck with building and your maiden flt!
Old 02-22-2003, 06:25 AM
Quinn

So 5 min epoxy should work and be safe for the foam ?

Sorry for the questions Peter. I have not built a plane for about 18yrs.

Thanks again Peter
Old 02-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Peter Khor

Yup, 5min epoxy's fine on foam.