Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sky Scooter Landing Gear?

Old 02-22-2003, 12:59 AM
BUDSLYD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Scooter Landing Gear?

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to flying airplanes. I have a firebird II that I've flown about 30 times ( and crashed of course) Much fun. I recently got a sky scooter pro II which I have yet to fly. My problem is that I fly over asphalt which I must eventually land on. I cant see the sky scooter taking many of these landings (sandings) I would like to build some landing gear for the plane, does any one know the best way to go about this?
Old 02-22-2003, 02:39 AM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

I had a SS Pro II also and I wanted to put landing gear on it for the same reasons. I thought of a few different ways to do it but never really got around to it. I did put a few layers of 1" wide packing tape over the skid that is already there and then ran a few strips down the length of the fuselage. It worked pretty well. I don't have the plane anymore...wing folded a few hundred feet up and the rest is history. Get your battery packs from Radio Shack. They have an 8 cell Nickel Metal pack that has the same connector that you need (Tamiya) and it's 1600mah.
It even fits in the factory slot. I used to get 15 minute run times with them. Make sure you cut cooling slots for the motor and then use a spoon to make a scoop to direct the cool air through
the motor. Check your CG at 4.5 inches from the LE at the fuse.
They don't tell you that in the manual. If yours is off (mine was) you can remove a bit of material at either end of the battery opening and move the battery back and forth a bit.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:29 PM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Hope this helps. Sorry only shots i could find!

Old 02-22-2003, 07:44 PM
BUDSLYD

THANKS GUYS, I HAD HEARD THAT I SHOULD GET THE BIGGER BATTERY FOR LONGER FLIGHT TIMES AND TO MAKE SURE I CUT AIR VENTS SO AS NOT TO HEAT UP THE MOTOR. SCOOPS ARE AN AWESOME IDEA (N IT'LL LOOK COOL) I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT THE SKY SCOOTER NEEDED A LITTLE MORE PITCH ON THE PROP FOR BETTER PULL. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE PRO II PROP IS ANY BETTER? THE PICTURES WERE JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO SEE. I THOUGHT OF USING PIANO WIRE, BUT HOW SHOULD I ATTACH IT TO THE PLANE? AND ALSO WHICH TYPE OF LANDING GEAR IS MORE STABLE FOR TAKE OFFS AND LANDINGS, THE TRICYCLE TYPE OR THE TAILDRAGGER TYPE?
THANKS AGAIN. ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE SKY SCOOTER OR PRO II WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MODIFICATIONS, FIRST FLIGHT, TIPS ON HANDLING, REPAIR ETC.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:34 PM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

Default No Rudder...

Remember, there is no rudder on the Sky Scooter. You'll need to come up with a way to steer the plane on the ground. Add another servo and a rudder/tailwheel combination or rudder and a fixed tailskid. If you go with a nosegear setup you'll need a way to steer the nosewheel......
More stuff you'll have to figure out

If you have LOTS of room where you fly, you may get away with pointing it in the right direction and gas and go. Landings the same way- line up and hope for the best---both of these being without the addition of a way to steer the plane
Old 11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
CRB

Default RE: Sky Scooter Landing Gear?

I know this is an old thread but just recently purchased a Space Scooter and would like to add the landing gear. This is basically like the sky scooter. I tried the link you had in the thread but it is not available. Would you have any info in putting a tail dragger landing gear? Pictures etc....... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck
Old 11-03-2004, 11:42 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CRB, I think an easy method to adding LG to the sky scooter might be to emulate full-scale gliders by adding a single wheel on the fuselage bottom just in front of the CG and skids of some sort (scrap plastic, plywood, etc) on the wingtips.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:20 PM
RickAvery

Budslyd,
I have a sky scooter and a space scooter that I land on a flat hard pack dirt runway. This is not as abrasive as asphalt, but I have landed on asphalt several times. I have taped a piece of 1/8" thick approxamitely 3" long and 1"wide coroplast on the belly of the space scooter in two places, front & rear, (it doesn't have the skid of the sky scooter. For the sky scooter I have found that using plastic from packaging like the stuff that almost all kids toys comes in and taping that on the existing skid along with one of the formentioned pieces of coroplast near the rear as expendable skids works well. I think that those who have installed landing gear on the sky scooter have mentioned that the weight penalty and the effect it has on aerobatic ability are negitave. I get many landings before having to retape, and many retapes before having to replace. The wing tips don't seem to be a problem for me as they don't usually touch down untill almost stopped. Good luck.
Rick
Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 PM
cadetman

my views are.. for take off's the best way is by hand and as i started to read the link i instantly thought of a wheel directly under the CofG and a tail wheel with skids on the wing tips.. the only issue is the revolving prop as the SS touches down!!, be careful of damage to the prop as it will eventually be unbalance,
if i was presented with the same problem here i would probably go for either a strip of plastic maybe even Old Credit Cards or thin ply wood glued to the bottom of the SS as its flat on the bottom, i would remove the existing plastic skid and replace with thicker ply for those times when it comes in a little TOO STEEP [&o]
i used a old credit card as a swish plate to allow the prop to Spin outwards and avoid it cutting into the canopy when restarting the motor,
and if you really want to avoid serious Damage you could always Use the Wife's Credit Card! it will Save you a Fortune
Cadetman
Old 11-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Hepdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything you ever wanted to know about Scooters and mods is found here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...scooter/tm.htm
including a simple and effective removable gear system. With just a slight breeze it will ROG and land without a rudder no problem at all.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
AgCat1982

Think about what you are saying. There is NO landing gear now, so, a single wheel under the plane in front of CG would cause NO more problems then he is having now. Actually less.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:06 AM
RickAvery

Thanks for the link hepdog. I went looking for the thread and couldn't find it. Maybe some of the newer scooter pilots can get some useful information. I put a quick post in it to bring it forward.
Rick