Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

(beautiful rolls, Split S, etc.) AERO VOYAGER MOTOR POWERED GLIDER UPGRADE

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

(beautiful rolls, Split S, etc.) AERO VOYAGER MOTOR POWERED GLIDER UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (beautiful rolls, Split S, etc.) AERO VOYAGER MOTOR POWERED GLIDER UPGRADE

AERO VOYAGER UPGRADE

With two (2) successful flight-ready upgraded Accipiter Badius airplanes now in my hanger modified as per my past posts, the Aero Voyager is now in the process of being developed with the same kind of upgrade changes. It really is neat to be able to climb up to soaring altitude at less than full power with the higher power to weight ratios made possible by "simple" airframe modifications.

Almost every airframe modification except the 1/32" dia. carbon fiber pushrods that are on order have been completed and have demonstrated their value in today's windy weather flying session. The AV is faster than the AB and is not as easy to see in flight. It is still difficult for me to fly well in the wind. My Badius birds are noticeably easier for my chronologically challenged eyes to see and remain my preferred flying machines in windy weather flying because of my still "under-developed" flying skills. The AV is a very beautiful and capable airplane and it seems a little strange to have seen so little information about it on the web.

When the new carbon pushrods are installed on the AV I will try "double area ruddervators" (yes, using my best lightest stockpiled wood), and experiments with the C.G. will be conducted to see just how much performance can be extracted from the AV.

ENJOY FLYING!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]

P.S. 5/26/07 First test flight was 25% longer (may have gotten unusually good thermals) than "normal" for me and noticeably slower until I tried to roll the AV. The maneuver looked more like a spiral dive than a roll and it was so quick I got spooked and spent the rest of the flight trying to calm my nerves. More later as I get braver.

5/29/07 Real controlled barrel rolls in both directions were performed today. A convincing "Split S" was also performed. Flew in a nerve wracking 20 mph plus turbulent wind yesterday and flew inverted briefly before quickly recovering to normal flight. I can really appreciate the economic difficulties of designing airplanes that have to be big enough to see at altitude, fast enough to fly in "average" conditions, and slow enough to be practical trainers.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (beautiful rolls, Split S, etc.) AERO VOYAGER MOTOR POWERED GLIDER UPGRADE

The above is yet another post that can't be edited. Is there something about editing that I just don"t get?

__________________________________________________ __________

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevance. When it becomes possible to objectively discuss what really motivates contemporary modelers I will be back in the business of providing "free advertising" for RCUniverse.