Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Anybody Re-use Aerobird Swift Guts?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Anybody Re-use Aerobird Swift Guts?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:26 PM
mclina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Re-use Aerobird Swift Guts?

I was wondering if anybody has successfully taken the guts (motor, servos, ESC, RX, battery) from an Aerobird Swift and re-used them in another airframe. I just peeled about 6 layers of duct tape off my Swift's cracked and mangled fuselage, and took out all of the parts, with the intent of buying a replacement fuse and putting it all back together. All of the electronics are still working fine.

Then I got to thinking it might be fun to put all these parts into another plane, either an ARF or some homemade foam creation.

Anybody tried this?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
tam popo

Default RE: Anybody Re-use Aerobird Swift Guts?

Hiya, Mclina! I'm just about to do same as yourself and already ordered the plane - a GWS Beaver (no laughing!!) slow flying thing. Disappointed with Swift (the brick!!) so a b/less Hyperion, RX and 20A esc are going into fuse with 2100Mah Lipo from my Strykers/Zagi - should be a bit better!! [>:] I've not seen the Swift electronics yet so hope there's room in GWS to install. keeping Swift wings intact with servos which will just connect to RX (there 3-wire, right?). Cost of all this is about £80 which gets me a "hot" Swift and a cool slow flyer (look on it as 2 new planes for £80). The swift RX/esc will take Lipo power just don't overdo it and it might need re-programming (see JohnCunningham and Swift427's knowledgeable comments on this). John designed and made a gizmo ($25) that allows esc to take b/less and lipo power - see under "Official Aerobird Swift" thread.
Keep us informed how you go on - why did you dump Swift, wot plane are you looking at (thought about Stryker - all the bits will fit - cheap complete fuse $20+!!). Time will tell eh. Byeee for now [8D]
Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 PM
tam popo

Forgot to mention - look at planes that aren't b/less cos the Swift esc won't accept b/less as standard. Still plenty of choice though, here's 1 or 2: Any of H/zone P/zone birds, Cubs, Cessna, Gliders, small Flying Wings (Zagi too big for stock 480) by any other company! Don't be tempted on home design, it might not work, go tried and tested way. Look at Stryker - you get a jet, 480 motor, new shell and n/cone, parts on shelf (fins, elevators etc) and it flies - just look at the threads to see that! I've got 3 and you don't think I would buy 3 flying bricks do you? Choice is yours, but i would avoid warbirds as well. good hunting!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:19 PM
mclina

One of my first thoughts was to try a Stryker frame, but I didn't know how to set up the servos. Swift has two ailerons and an elevator, while the Stryker has elevons. I assumed this was something programmed into the circuit board and couldn't be changed. I also wondered how I could go from a pusher set up to a front prop. Can you just reverse the wires to the motor, or buy a prop with reverse pitch?

I haven't totally dumped the swift. I could rebuild it with an $18.99 fuselage. I just wanted to try something new.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM
tam popo

Hiya! I never thought of the servo problem, sorry! To use 2 servos in Stryker you will need an elevon mixer (here about £3), each servo in wing plugs in at one end of mixer so you have 2 connections together plugged in. The mixer is a couple inches long (looks like an esc) - at other end there are 2 connectors on built-in wires that plug into RX. What happens is that to climb (pull back tX control) both elevators (elevons) rise giving lift. Push up and they drop down to descend. To turn, one elevon rises, other goes down etc. Easy stuff - lots of simple control. If you go to a forward motor and want tractor pull (thrust) just reverse wires on motor or fit connectors before wires go into esc so you can reverse them without de-soldering connections on motor. You can now use any prop on an adapter - looking from front of plane prop should go anti-clockwise with any lettering on prop showing at front (I think). But if its only $19 for a new fuse and you're happy with swift stick with it. All these thoughts are my own personal one mr Censor![>:]