Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

E3D or laser 3d for first electric and what to get?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

E3D or laser 3d for first electric and what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 04:55 PM
roy_fisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E3D or laser 3d for first electric and what to get?

hey there
i want to start with electrick airplanes and i want a 3d one.
what is better... the E3D or the laser 3d?
if so...what dhould i get exept for the radio?
i have a futaba 4 channels that i can use... what engine battries and so should i get to get it into the air?
and what are the prices?
thank you
roy
Old 02-21-2002, 07:38 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Roy,

The Laser 3D and the E3D are two completely different classes of airplanes.

The Laser is more parkflyer like. The E3D is a plane you'd want to fly at an AMA field, not a park.

The laser weighs about 14-15 oz. The E3D weighs about 48-56 oz, you're talking 3 times the weight.

You say that you have a 4 channel Futaba, well then get the Laser. Gary Wright suggests that you should only put in the extreme throws if you have a radio that has mixing, dual rates, and/or Exponential.

You won't be able to do true 3D flight because of the radio setup. If you don't have dual rates he recommends against setting it up with 45 degrees of movement as the plane is very very sensitive with out Exponential.

The Laser will probably be the same when it comes to exponential. You really want at least dual rates at least for take off and landing other wise you may over control it.

If you do decide on one of these planes the following setups are good.

E3D
Kyosho Endoplasma car motor, with Greatplanes GD600 geared 4.6:1 running 10 x 2400 or 10 x 3000 cells. and a 12x8 prop. This will give you good performance and you can hover on the 2400's, and not draw too much current. (about 35 amps) or for better hovering use the 14 x 7 but you draw more like 45 amps and its harder on the motor.

Endoplasma motors are getting harder to come by because everybody is using them now for planes. They like that one or the Atomic Force, or the Magnetic Mayhem motors as they have larger brushes and comms. to take the higher current. Your other motors like Trinity Speed Gems would melt at the currents they are pulling.

For better performance try a Hacker C40 12 turn motor mated to the same gearbox running 10 cells.

Laser 3D
Speed 300 geared 5:1 with a 9 x 4.7 prop, or 10 x 4.7 prop for excellent results running 7 cells. If you run 8 cells on a speed 300 you will burn it up in short order if you fly at full throttle a lot (or fairly close to full)

For brushless try a Hacker B20 geared 4.4:1 on 7 or 8 cells. (I don't know the prop, sorry)

The Laser uses Hitec HS-55's or equivelent, and the E3D uses HS-81's or equivilent.

--Paul
Old 02-25-2002, 04:04 PM
DougBinder

Roy, You might also want to consider the Switchback 3D. The website doesn't have all the information yet but it is available and the kit is only $50. It uses the GWS EPS 370 motor which I sell for $19. More information is at www.mountainmodels.com

Doug
Old 02-25-2002, 05:07 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

I would second Dougs recommendation. His kits are top notch, they go together very fast and fly very well.

--Paul