Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Spitfire Gearbox Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Spitfire Gearbox Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
schatztf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Spitfire Gearbox Problem

I recently replaced the gearbox on my Spitfire because it seems a bushing seized and stuck to the propeller shaft and than proceeded to chew its way through the gear box.

So I bought another gearbox and went flying this weekend and I heard some weird noises coming from the plane in-flight, landed it and the gear on the propeller shaft ate through the side of the gear box.

I am thinking that I might not have setup the gearboxes properly, can someone help explain to me the proper way to setup this gear box and how to maintain it?

I posted this question in another thread and someone posted that these gearboxes may be prone to failure, is anyone out there having similar problems?

Thanks!!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
gunracer

Default RE: Parkzone Spitfire Gearbox Problem

are you using the stock power setup?...possibly a gear mesh or bearing issue...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
schatztf

ORIGINAL: gunracer

are you using the stock power setup?...possibly a gear mesh or bearing issue...
Yes, everything is stock.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
gunracer

have you already disassembled the gearbox?...if not, a photo showing its current condition may explain what happened...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
schatztf

ORIGINAL: gunracer

have you already disassembled the gearbox?...if not, a photo showing its current condition may explain what happened...
I'll try to post some pictures tonight. Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 AM
schatztf

Wasn't able to get the photos up last night, I'll try to post some tonight.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 PM

A friend and I have also had trouble with the PZ Spitfire gearboxes. They have been redesigned and ours have hair line cracks that causes the airframe to vibrate when flying. We have determined that the redesigned gearboxes have a cut out for the motor that the old box doesn't have and that is where our gearboxes have failed. I hope Horizon will do away with the redesigned gearboxes and go back to the old gearboxes.

Larry
Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 PM
mezd

Hi guys, according to Model FLight - the gearbox for the FW-190 and the Spit are the same. Same motor, prop shaft etc aswell.
I have the FW and have had no gearbox problems..... other than the ones caused by crash landings. i am on my 3rd gearbox and all have been ok!

The prop shaft isnt being done up too tight is it? i always make sure there is a little freeplay between the nylon bushes and the bearings.

Mez.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: mezd

Hi guys, according to Model FLight - the gearbox for the FW-190 and the Spit are the same. Same motor, prop shaft etc aswell.
I have the FW and have had no gearbox problems..... other than the ones caused by crash landings. i am on my 3rd gearbox and all have been ok!

The prop shaft isnt being done up too tight is it? i always make sure there is a little freeplay between the nylon bushes and the bearings.

Mez.
Mez,

The shaft and bearings are not the problem but a result of the problem. What happens is the cut out for the motor on the redesigned gearbox cracks from the twisting action of the prop. Remember for every action there is an equal reaction. Therefore the oscillation of the then loose motor causes alignment problems for the gears, shaft and bearings. If you look at the old design gearbox, it didn't have the cut outs in the motor mount area so it was stronger. The new gearbox has a designed weakness that should be corrected by Park Zone since they now know of the problem.

Larry

Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM
schatztf

It seems I must have gotten a batch of bad bushings. My latest gearbox has been working fine for several 10+ minute flights.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Bad bushings? There are no bushing in the gearbox, it has sealed bearings. They are not the problem. The housing that supports the motor cracks and lets the motor move causing problems with the gear mesh and alignment with the shaft that the prop is mounted too. That's only with the newer design gearboxes, the older ones I have don't crack and cause vibration problems.

Larry
Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM
mezd

Whats the part number of this new design gearbox? i am using PKZ1628, have had no problems with them..... maybe we are still getting old stock her is OZ, but i havent had any problems at all!
Maybe try the PKZ1528 off the mustang, i beleive its pretty much identical.

On mine the motor is held into position by the 2 screws - if these are tight i dont see how the whole gearbox can twist enough to crack...... photos would help.

The bushes i was taling about are 2 nylon bushes that o on the prob shaft on the outer side of each bearing. If you dont have the bushes where does you prop shaft gear and motor gear mesh? must be very close to the actual gearbox housing.

Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 PM
gunracer

here's the new gb...notice the relieved areas around the motor mount...i have both and the motor casing also looks thicker on the first generation...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43719.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	708049  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
schatztf

ORIGINAL: 29904

Bad bushings? There are no bushing in the gearbox, it has sealed bearings. They are not the problem. The housing that supports the motor cracks and lets the motor move causing problems with the gear mesh and alignment with the shaft that the prop is mounted too. That's only with the newer design gearboxes, the older ones I have don't crack and cause vibration problems.

Larry
I meant bearings, I always say bushings when I mean bearings.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 AM
schatztf

I have had the bearings seize or come apart, they than heated up and melted the plastic.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: schatztf

I have had the bearings seize or come apart, they than heated up and melted the plastic.
I haven't had the bearings problem yet but when we started having the vibration problem I thought it was from dry bearings and we lubed the bearings but that did not help. That is when I noticed the hairline cracks on both sides of the cut outs for the redesigned gearbox and figured out what was going on.

Seized bearing can also be a challenge.

Keep them flying,

Larry