Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slo-v ESC/RX How to fix?

Old 06-09-2007, 09:25 PM
danjfoley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slo-v ESC/RX How to fix?

First of all, i have no idea what ESC/RX stands for. I know it's the part that you plug the battery in and recieves the radio commands, and tells the servos and the engine what to do...

I have a Slo-v. Broke the motor. Got a new one. Wired it all back up and getting nothing on the motor. (servo control is working just fine) I tested the motor with a d battery and it works fine. Checked the motor leads with a multimeter while at full throttle. Getting nothing on the multimeter.

So i can only assume something is wrong with the ESC/RX unit. If someone can let me know how to fix it, i could give it a try. I've very good at solder and circut board word, just that I have no diagrams for what's in here and what does what.

I don't see how a crash from 4 feet could have messed up the ESC/RX .. Nothing much in there to break. I took a look and everything seems fine. Does anyone have any information on how I might go about fixing it?

i don't want to have to buy a new one. I've only had the slo-v for a week now, and never even got it to take off. It was banking hard right. (and i know how to fly.. i have an aerobird and fly that just fine)

Horizon Hobby doesn't seem to want to help me. I think they should. The ESC/RX unit should just give out like that?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Flyer 1

Default RE: Slo-v ESC/RX How to fix?

ESC/RX stands for Electronic Speed Control and Receiver.
There may be folks here who'cn tell you what to look for to fix it, but it should be covered under warranty - personally I'd give Horizon Hobby a hassle - they should definitely take care of their customers.
Flyer
Old 06-09-2007, 11:03 PM
danjfoley

yeah but the warentee is supposed to be gone once you try to fly it.. and i did try to fly it but like i said it never left the ground.. right banked hard into the ground.

I'm going to call them on monday and give them a hard time about it untill they replace it.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
hawk3ye

ESC is used to govern the power to the motor basically.

The RX (recevier) is the lil circuit board where all the servos and motor(s) plug into to receive transmissions from the TX (radio, transmitter).

In this SLo-V model (and i believe the PZ Focke Wulf and P-51), it uses a cheap circuit board which combines the two above.

Servos sound like they're receiving but there's not motor movement or current going to it. You may want to open and look at the wires on the RX to see if there's been a disconnection or maybe a slight tear in the wiring that looks like maybe the motor wire got yanked out a bit.

Also, you should try and alway do a range test when you fly, this'll save you a headache - a lot of times there's like transmission interference that'll cause incidents like your plane taking an unresponsive dive like it did initially. LEave the plane on a park bench and walk out or hav a buddy hold it while oyu walk out and do some simple movements and play with the throttle to see if it gets the transmissions correctly.

Course PZ electroncs are not very good to begin with - least in my experience with the non-traditional ESC/RC boards. I had an "easy crash" with a PZ FockeWulf and after inspection, the plane "Seemed" to be ok, later though I took it up for another flight and lost complete control after 10 feet...completely ridiculous. My other RXs have had crashes from 100 death spirals and come out okay, crystals and all.

-Marcus
Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM
danjfoley

good news.. horizon is going to send me a new esc/rx ..
Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 PM
johnpcunningham

Sounds like your FET is bad or the MCUs GPI pins driving the FET input are faulty. Both of these has happend to me on many planes.

Can you post a picture of the RX and I can guide you through what to replace and where it is on the RX.

JC