Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Minimag or HZ Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:16 PM
FlyingBeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimag or HZ Super Cub

I am trying to decide between the Multiplex Minimag and the Hobbyzone Super Cub. Which of the two planes would fly better at slow and relaxing scale speeds, but provide enough maneuverability/stability while flying in a park or group of soccer fields? I have heard positive things about both planes. Between the Minimag and Super Cub, which do you think would be better suited for me?
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 AM
dabvid

Default RE: Minimag or HZ Super Cub

i have the minimag, it is a great plane and on high rates it rolls a heck of a lot quicker than i expected. it is alos better as the radio gear is reuseable and it has ailerons. but ditch the brushed motor and go brushless.have you flown anything else before? i moved on from this from my pod 'n' boom pusher and i found it only slightly harder to fly(unless it is out of trim) also remember this DOESNT self corect and will fly fast enough with a powerfull motor.
Here is my setup; Himark 2812-920kv out runner,APC 9x6e prop, 25amp esc, jr 375servos, 3-cell 1700mah lipo (20/40c)and a pcm rs77s reciever.
regards,
dave
Old 06-19-2007, 09:36 AM
FlyingBeaver

Thanks for the info about the minimag. I am experienced at flying FMS and Microsoft flight simulator and know a lot about how the control surfaces of a plane operate/respond, but I have never really flown RC planes before in real life. I want a plane that is fairly slow and stable. I wonder if the minimag would be a more aggressive flier than the super cub. I currently have a multiplex magister that I bought as my first plane. I have only taxied it once because I cannot find a big enough field yet to fly it in. This plane needs room! I want a smaller plane to start on and I will save my magister until I am more experienced. I have a laser 4 transmitter and I know the quality of multiplex’s planes, so the minimag might be the right route for me.
Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
netdudeuk

The SC is ok but it's a closed option. Get something like the Mini Mag or even a cheap GWS E-Starter. You can have ailerons later and use rudder and elevator for now. You can also move all the radio gear into something like a GWS warbird later for next to nothing. The E-Starter flies slow and is pretty easy to fly. I'd say no less so than the SC but it's a bit more fragile.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Cards15mc

How fast does the MiniMag fly?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
ozrcboy

FlyingBeaver,

Are you using your TX and a cable to fly planes in FMS, or are you using keyboard? A basic understanding of fliight and flight surface controls is handy, but the place most people get into trouble is that the mental association between stick inputs and controls is not fast enough. So, if you aren't practicing with the TX on the computer, then see if you can get a cable to do that - use FMS - fly lots of planes and make sure your association between what your brain wants the plane to do (roll right) and the control input (push right stick right - for mode 1) is instantaneous.

If you have never flown RC before, and you don't have anyone to give you a hand then maybe the minimag is not the place to start. But there are pleny of other good 3 channel trainers you could use your radio gear in - like the multiplex easystar. Just the airframe is quite cheap, and means you don't have to spend the $100 extra of so on supercub which is just paying for it's non transferable radio gear. HZSC is a great plane, but you already have a radio etc which makes the prospect of paying for that stuff inside the supercub a bit lame. Think about the easystar.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
oz.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:17 AM
dabvid

in my minimag it is quite quick on full throttle(i love brushless)...however even if you throttle limited this thing to 50%it would take of in a shorter distance, have better climb more aerobatic and yes the thing glides for ever and need very little airspeed to fly.
regards,
dave.
P.S i promise you wont be disapointed with the minimag
Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 AM
dabvid

BTW, it is a far more aggresive flier than the supercub, but it will probly be even better at low speed-due to very light wing loading. i think that if you have never flown before and have njo teacher maybe get a hobbyzone phantom or aerobird just so as you know what youre in for.
regards,
dave
Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 PM
FlyingBeaver

Thanks for all the info everybody!
ORIGINAL: ozrcboy

FlyingBeaver,

Are you using your TX and a cable to fly planes in FMS, or are you using keyboard?
I am currently using my computer joystick to fly planes in FMS. I will definitely have to check out using my TX with FMS.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 PM
gregoryd

I have the Mini Mag and love it I taught myself to fly with Real flight G-2 then went out with the Mini Mag and been having a blast. One of my flights I wasn't paying attention and the plane ended up nose in at full throttle the only thing that broke was the gear box.
I ordered this motor HiMag Motor 390S from www.parkflyers.com/ oh and the gear box is a 3:1:1 and it flies much better.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
andrewtexas123

I got a new mag and love it you think we should make a mini mag thread?

Andrew