Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

first park flyer...????

Old 03-05-2003, 12:35 AM
xlentflyer40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first park flyer...????

I am looking into a small electric plane for the colder season but i am not sure wich one I should get? I am looking for somthing to keep the rust off until it gets nice again and would like it to be fun too. not to serous like putting a brushless in it, so it can't be to expencive looking to spend around $$200 or less if posible. I know all you great pilots can help me out a little so thanks a lot!!
xlentflyer.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:56 AM
latch66

What do you want to do?????

If you just want to "fly around", then either a Tiger Moth or a Slow Stick are good. I'd probably tip my hat to the slow stick due to the ability to handle more weight.

If you want some aerobatics, but supreme crash resistance, then I'd suggest a zagi, or a Minispeedwing. Either of these is a good choice. The Minispeedwing is more of a park flier. It's not impossible, but it's not easy to keep a Zagi in a small park. I'd suggest at least a Soccer Field of room for a Zagi.

If you want aerobatics, then I'd suggest either a Switchback or a Miniflash, or a Crazy Max.

It would be so easy to keep going on these lists!

These are just some of the choices, because there are many great parkfliers which don't cost a lot of money to get airborne.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Wright Flyer

Like latch66 says, depends on your experince. If you already fly aileron planes then a Switchback is a great choice. If you're a complete beginner I'd go with the GWS Slowstick.

Cliff
Old 03-06-2003, 07:09 PM
xlentflyer40

Yes i am flying with ailerons and I would like to get a park flyer with them. I am not too interested in those flying wings they are cool but not my style I like to fly things with tails. I was looking at the fundango it looks pretty cool to mess around with aer they any good?
Thanks for your input.

xlentflyer40
Old 03-06-2003, 07:32 PM
latch66

From what I hear, the Fundango needs a geared speed 480 to really perform.

I think you will be better off with either a Switchback or Miniflash. Both of these are from Mountain Models. They are both kits. Doug at Mountain Models stocks just about everything you will need to get one of these in the air.

Another good choice in the ARF catagory will be the Crazy Max.

Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2003, 05:06 AM
SalvageMan

Also, don't overlook the SR Batteries Cutie, Bantam or Bantam Bipe. Balsa buildups, and very nice planes.

Chuck
Old 03-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Mode1
My Feedback: (10)

Depending on your preferences, a Mountain Models Dandy Sport or Switchback might be right up your alley. Both lazor cut very quick building balsa kits. Very little cutting or fitting required. Parts fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Lots of others also. LeRoy
Old 03-21-2003, 10:12 AM
imcingyou

Originally posted by xlentflyer40
I was looking at the fundango it looks pretty cool to mess around with aer they any good?
Thanks for your input.

xlentflyer40
I have the fundango. And it is a blast, but there are quite a few of unmentioned items that must be preformed to ensure an excellent 3d aircraft, yet still maintain docile park settings. I would suggest the fundango to anyone with prior ailerons wing experience. buy a simple addition to the control throws, and you have an amazingly agile aircraft. The main thing i would say is everywhere the plans call for a partial wing spar, put in a full one, which brings the total of spars up to 6 per wing instead of the recommended 2, with 4 partials. this will ensure that the wing will holds its shape after the skinning has been completed.

I am running a speed 280, with a 4.5-1 mpjet gearbox, with an APC 8x6e prop. Battery is an 8-cell 1750 NiMh. 2 gws pico servos, and my flights are around 7-8 minutes.

There is no point in a rudder, that I can see that is. this plane functions extremely well, with only T, E, A control.

The only thing i can say is the Fundango doesn't know up from down, its just wants to fly. start of with the throws less than recommended.

ENJOY, Adam Hulse
Old 03-30-2003, 04:01 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if you are looking for a RTF or a kit. Here are two RTFs that are fun. I know several glider pilots that have them love to fly these kinds of planes when they are not gliding.

Aerobird, Sky Scooter Pro

I have an Aerobird. Here is an internet site that sells the Aerobird for $159. They also have a link for a video of the plane flying:
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/aerobird.html
Here is a link to a review of the Aerobird:
http://www1.wildhobbies.com/news/def...&articleid=853

My alternative plane was the Sky Scooter Pro. It had been about
$260 RTF, but the price for a fully ready to fly version has come down recently to about $170 so you might want to give it serious consideration.
http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P..._airplane.html
Videos
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/videos.htm

Downed Plane Locator:

If you fly near woods or a corn field or something you want to add some kind of locator for your plane. You can see my post on locators here:
lo
cators for small electrics

Enjoy!!
Old 03-31-2003, 01:11 AM
J-S
My Feedback: (1)

Graupner Mini Pipers are nice park flyers. Just got one and put it together...its fun to fly.

You can find it at Hobby Lobby.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:01 AM
d_trafalgar

How about a Wasp?

http://www.cl-i-max.com/

D
Old 04-04-2003, 02:05 AM
mike1
My Feedback: (1)

I had a fundango. It flew great. I used the recommended speed 400. I agree with the larger motor suggestion stated in an earlier post. My only objection to this was that my batteries became extremely hot after a run. By all means, set the throws lower than they recommend and the move up from there. It flies extremely well!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:50 AM
imcingyou

Originally posted by mike1
I had a fundango. It flew great. I used the recommended speed 400.
What gear ratio were you running? what happened to the old fundango anyway's?
Old 04-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Mark Winstanley

Default Park Flyer

Why not try the Tiger Moth from Kanata Aircraft Models. The kit is laser cut and includes everything you need except for the motor/gearbox and a pair of wheels.

www.kam.on.ca