Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

SAPAC 4 CH PHOENIX-2000 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 PM
gtisme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAPAC 4 CH PHOENIX-2000 ?

Has anyone flown or seen this plane? I found it at http://www.bananahobby.com/1070.html . This plane is re-configurable from a first trainer to a more advanced 4 channel bird. Thought it might be good for my wife and I to share. She needs to learn to fly and I've been flying glow for a long time. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
greg booth

Default RE: SAPAC 4 CH PHOENIX-2000 ?

I have one and fly it often. I have made many modifications and improvements. The most outstanding feature is that you can crash without destroying the motor and it is relatively easy to fix everything else. I also put on an FMA copilot system that makes it very easy to fly. I had to change the angle of the stabilizer slightly the make it balance correctly.
Greg Booth
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 PM
gtisme

Thanks Greg. Have the electric / electronic parts been reliable? What type of mods and improvements have you made?

Thanks for your reply,

Gary
Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
greg booth

see Forum "Anyone hear of this plane? PHOENIX-2000 Electric RC Airplane RTF" for lots of posts. I would say the most important upgrade was hinges on the elevator and rudder and changing the stabilizer angle down 5 degrees when using the aileron wing. It is a good trainer for me. I have a lot of fun with it and have flown it many hours. The landing gear broke but I am able to hand launch on a hill and land on the belly now.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:47 PM
gtisme

Thanks Greg! Your info has been very helpful.

Happy flying,

Gary
Old 05-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Ediecrna

I am looking to buy this plane as a friend of mine suggested it because I am a beginner. What does everyone think??? I have only flown on the simulator and was thinking this would be a good starter plane.

Thanks,
Edie
Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
greg booth

Now that I have flown a few other planes I feel the Phoenix 2000 has very poor performance and I do not recommend it. I would get a 3 channel electric powered glider or a 4 channel electric powered glider that has a lot of dihedral. (wings angle up). Generally the more dihedral the more stability. Fly on calm days only. I now fly more advanced planes but I have found that higher quality planes where you supply the electronics perform much better and are also easier to fly. Of course they cost much more and take more time to build. Light weight electric gliders can stay up a very long time. I use a low battery warning device called HRPoly-X by custom Idea. I also still use my (FS-8 co pilot) from (FMA direct) to get me out of trouble some times but they do not sell it any more. They have a new model that should be good. I avoid the company (Northeast Sailplane Products) due to a very bad experience with them.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Ediecrna

Hi Greg, Thank you for response. Can you give me model ideas of the planes you have in mind? If I understand you correctly, you are pointing me in the direction of a glider as opposed to a plane, correct? I have someone to help me assemble it if necessary.
Thank you, Edie
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
greg booth

Hi,
I mean a plane with a motor and folding propeller that motors and glides. A cheep example is
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/soarwing_18691_prd1.htm
a top of the line example that is probably too expensive to start with is
http://www.sailplaneshop.com/planes/majko.html
This looks middle priced and easier to build
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=8059
Anyway there are lots of planes in this category most are elevator and rudder only. Some have ailerons which take more skill but if there is a lot of dihedral it is still stable.
Greg