Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Aelerons Mod (SuperCub)

Old 06-24-2007, 03:43 PM
surjer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aelerons Mod (SuperCub)

Hey all,

I have a HobbyZone SuperCub. I am wanting to add aeleron controls to it. What I am wondering is do I need to buy a new

1.) Transmitter
2.) Receiver
3.) Servo's
4.) Batteries
5.) Motor
6.) ESC

Is there any way to reuse any of my electronics or do I need to purchase all new? If All new is it worth ripping everything out of the existing plane and adding all new electronics or should I just get a brand new ARF?

If you need any additional information I would be glad to post up as much as I know..

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
Old 06-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aelerons Mod (SuperCub)

Hey Jerry, you will need a new esc, servo's and tx/rx. You can keep your existing motor and battery. You will need 4 servo's total. I use a gws esc in one of mine and it is great for the 10 bucks I spent on it.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 AM
surjer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks man! I appreciate the help!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 PM
surjer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Mr. Mugen. I have purchased a RX/TX and am wondering which servo's to buy. In the supercub forum they mentioned the HS-55's. Do you happen to know if these will work with my Tracker III tx / Seeker II rx? Im new to the hobby so I am not sure if servo's are generally interchangable or not?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Bigtone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They should work with your RX. This should also help you guy's [link=http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi?board=aelrns&action=display&thread=1170051722]Ailerons on the Cub [/link]
Old 07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Hey Jerry, you will need a new esc, servo's and tx/rx. You can keep your existing motor and battery. You will need 4 servo's total. I use a gws esc in one of mine and it is great for the 10 bucks I spent on it.

Is the GWS reciever full range? I have a little brother who needs a good reciever and doesn't have much money. So have you had any range problems? How far away do you fly?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
patnchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kevin,
I purchased 3 GWS recievers, because they were cheap. My experience is that they are all over the map. They say the range is 600 feet, making they good for parkflyers. One of them is in my Mini Ultra Stik and not only works well, but has incredible range. (as good or better than my Hitec or Futaba single conversion radios) The second one was about what they spec'd it at....Around 500 feet, I started losing some sensitivity......The last one had a working range of approx 200 ft....useless for any airplane.....It wasn't the crystals, as I tried transferring for one to the other.....It was definaterly the reciever.....If your looking for a really good, inexpensive 4 channel , single conversion reciever, I suggest the Berg 4L.....I've had a number of these, and never had any problems, of any kind, including interference. I did have one that had the channels mis-marked, but that was a labeling problem, not an electronic problem.....JMHO.....Pat
Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Swift427

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check out the following ~
[link]http://thesmithfam.org/blog/2007/03/01/super-cub-aileron-upgrade-part-1/[/link]
[link]http://thesmithfam.org/blog/2007/03/02/super-cub-aileron-upgrade-part-2/[/link]
[link]http://thesmithfam.org/blog/2007/03/03/super-cub-aileron-upgrade-part-3/[/link]
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
surjer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I went to the LHS yesterday and priced all the parts.

4 X HS-81 19.99 each
1 X 25A ESC - 36
Dean's Connectors and other stuff around - 10 bucks

Thats a total of over 130 bucks plus tax... Sheeesh! (Where to cut corners?) Guess the good thing is once you buy this radio gear it works in future planes as well...
Old 07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have somewhere around 20 of the gws rx's and have never had a single problem with range of being all over. I also have around 15 berg's and they too are great rx's. I live in a pretty low key place as far as radio signals go I guess. I have never experienced a glitch or range shortage what so ever and I fly everyday........seriously everyday. It is my anti-drug. I play with these things day after day and stuck with gws and CC's berg rx's....never a reason to change to date. I like cheap stuff that performs and these are the 2 I am sticking with. Others may disagree...just my exp so far.

P.S. I have a stryker C with the gws 4n and it gets well beyond 600 feet away with no issues at all.

Hey Pat I see your from Gurnee. I was just down there on our way to by a 4 wheeler and stopped at 6 flags to try the superman coaster....what a rush!

I flew the stryker in a park near 6 flags until I was asked to leave. I was killing time until the guy got home from work and the officer said .....Hell no!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 AM
netdudeuk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure why you'd want HS-81s. Get some cheap 7.5g servos. You don't need precision for this one
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
flyingace451

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go with the HS-55s. Awesome servos and probably the most popular hitec servo. Great for anything, helis, gliders (small gliders), and especially...FOAMIES!!! But seriously, they are strong, cheap, and definately reliable. I have an ultimate bipe and only ONE hs-55 powering all 4 ailerons. Strong little suckers...
Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM
surjer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the LHS said the HS-81 were just way better servo's for only a couple bucks more than the 55's. I have 2 standard sized servo's i might try to use in the cub as the elevator/rudder servo's. Just havent decided if I want to play that balancing act...