Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Inexpensive 4ch park flyer

Old 07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
dropdeadhippie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive 4ch park flyer

Thinking of getting into electric planes by getting a 4ch park flyer style plane. I've seen a lot of inexpensive 3 channel planes but I tend to turn using ailerons and elevator so I'm thinking a 4 ch might be more what I need. I'm hoping to keep this first electric under $150 for a complete rtf package. Any sugestions? Thanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:11 PM
3DSAVAGE

Default RE: Inexpensive 4ch park flyer

do you have any rc plane experience? if you want ailerons, you can get an aerobird swift, parkzone p-51 or focke wulf.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:46 PM
patnchris

A lot depends on your experience level. If you are an experienced flyer, and you already have radio gear, I would suggest one of the E-flight planes, like the Mini Ultra Stik, or the Mini Pulse. Both are really sweet flyers. I'm assuming you're experience as you were talking about turning with ailerons and elevator. You might wind up spending a little more, than if you were to buy a true Novice aircraft like the GWS E-Starter or the Tiger Moth 400, but you'll get more performance like you're used to, flying glow....JMHO...Pat
Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
clovus

I'm interested to hear you think of the GWS TM400 as a novice plane. Do you mean novice as a step up from beginner? I wouldn't classify it as a good plane to learn to fly on.... well........maybe a how to learn to fly properly on plane!

I would also say the TM400 is a good, fun plane if you have some experience, which it sounds like you do and you can stump up teh extra $$ for the electronics. I still take mine out for a relaxed fly every now and then (I forget how slowly it can fly!). If no/limited experience I'd give it a swerve. A bad crash and its pretty demoralising to go home with a bunch of foam.

clovus
Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM
patnchris

Clovus,
The very first plane I actually flew was the HobbyZone Super Cub (I had several planes before it....LOL) The second plane was a TM400 4 channel. So you could say a actually learned to fly on the TM400. I found it painful to fly in it's stock form and converted it to a Park 400 outrunner, 3s lipo, shortly after....Yes I crashed it several times, and became a master at rebuilding it. (Even fabricating foam sections to replace the ones too badly damaged to repair ..(I used a cooler package left over from an Omaha Steaks order.....LOL)....But, looking back, it wasn't overly difficult to fly....All you needed was to learn patience...and the plane flew itself, if set up properly.....By the way, it was also the first plane I actually did any aerobatics with.....I learned to loop and roll....Not bad for a beginner........That was a year ago. Since then I've joined the AMA, joined a club (not sure that was a good idea ), and now have over ten planes. I mentioned the MUS and the Pulse as the fly similar to glow planes, only smaller. Assuming that the poster is a somewhat experienced flyer, he may find the GWS foamies a little slow, and find it hard to make the adjustment.....Just a thought....Pat
Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[link]http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon4.htm[/link]

WingDragon 4
Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 PM
DIVR6347
My Feedback: (1)

hobby lobby wing dragon or parkflyers.com begin air

i think both are pretty reasonable and rtf be a good starter 4 ch plane until you get back into the swing of things
divr6347
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
mycarisaser

I started with the hz super cub also. I learned how to fly with it and after flying it for 3 weeks I went to a 4ch brushless/lipo t-34 mentor. I will say this if you have never flown before go with something like the hz supercub then when you are confertible with it then go 4ch. There is no way i could of flown this mentor from the start. Trainer planes are good
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Bad_Daddy

GWS Slow Stick Park Flyer EP ARF w/EPS-300C/BB 46.3" Span
After you get proficient flying it, you will know what plane you want next. If you never get good at flying it,you will have saved the expense of buying anything more fancy.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
hawk3ye

Go with a Parkzone warbird and use some of that new found building experience to turn it into a 4 channel

I "believe" that the Focke Wulf and P-51 both use the same motor as the Super Cub (brushed 480) so I mean you might even just buy a fuselage of either those two and transplant electronics into them - I'd stick with the motor and prolly get whole new servos and RX. Adding a Rudder is pretty easy on those birds, there is a lot of room to work with...imho.