Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Swift: Lost in the Clouds!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 AM
clink69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Swift: Lost in the Clouds!

Ok,

So I was out last evening at the construction site flying. My friend had his Swift up really high. We are guessing in the range of 1000-1200 feet, barely visible. It actually was peeking in and out of the dark clouds. then all of a sudden it was gone. I estimated the wind speed at East 5-10 MPH. My question is where did it go. Would the Swift come down in a gentle spiral, a dive or what? We were north of DC, did it go to Baltimore?

thanx Chris
Old 07-06-2007, 09:57 AM
rleed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Swift: Lost in the Clouds!

What type of clouds were they? If they were a cumulus type cloud they contain strong updrafts that could suck in your swift and spit it out tens of thousands of feet higher. Depending on the winds aloft it could be a hundred miles away! Sorry to hear that.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dang! How high are clouds usually? I have to try that with the stryker!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 AM
ozrcboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heh - I'm sorry your friend lost his plane but there is a lesson there about keeping planes in sight - for the sake of your wallet and other people's safety.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
clink69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rleed

What type of clouds were they? If they were a cumulus type cloud they contain strong updrafts that could suck in your swift and spit it out tens of thousands of feet higher. Depending on the winds aloft it could be a hundred miles away! Sorry to hear that.

They were StratoCumulus clouds.. range 0-2000 Meters. I dont think it went into an updraft because it was just skirting the clouds. could be wrong. But say it didn't go into the clouds, how would it come down, gentle or dive?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would all depend on the set up but most likely it would have started making circles and just slowly drifted down, those planes are designed to glide very good, so unless it was nose heavy to cause it to dive as stated before there is no telling how far it could have traveled before making it to the ground. I lost a ABC once in a simular situation but it was the wind that just kept taking it away, once it was out of range of my TX it began making circles but was drifting as far out as it was coming down.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 PM
tam popo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hiya! Sorry to hear about the loss of your plane (RIP!!). But if you want to recoup your moneytary outlay apply to Guinnes Book of Records to have it entered as "Only Stock Swift to get to that height!! or was it a stock motor/battery? Did you strap rockets or explosives to it? You're not related to Ronrico418 are you (famous for ROG stock swift video). Gawd i wish I had your luck[&o] And yes, I do own a swift that will go vert
Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 PM
rleed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not very familiar with the swift, but if its a stable plane then I would imagine it would fly somewhat strait and level until the battery died and then it would begin a decent. Maybe not. I hope you find it though!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chris,

Did you have your name and address on the plane? If so, you may be surprised how far it went!

I use clear mailing labels that I print with my computer. I put on my AMA membership number, name and address on them to identify the plane.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
tam popo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jmir, I just put my mobile number on plane (I live in Fort Apache!!) - don't want people getting name AND address. Conversation goes like this "Hey, I got your plane, $20 or the plane gets it!!"[>:] While you go to get plane lowlife robs you're house (ouch!!).[>:][>:][>:]
Seriously, I just put "reward given, ring ----------". It happened 2 weeks ago to my pride and joy scratch-built Stryker (tree'd it!). Got it back next day less electrics and battery and half a wing. Thats wot happens when the local NEDS (Non Educational Delinquents) get you're plane[>:][&o]
Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Didn't think about that. It makes sense, so next batch of printed labels may have less info on them.
I didn't have phone number on mine, so maybe that's all that is really needed.

Thanks for tip!