Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Ace Grasshopper E-conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 04:27 PM
jskrebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Grasshopper E-conversion?

Anybody done this conversion?

If so, WHat size motor/gearbox/prop ESC, Battery

Thanks

Jeff
Old 03-09-2003, 09:11 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine came out really heavy with micro gear and 0.049 in the nose. It flew alright under power but it had the glide rate of a rock.

It would be even heavyer with the E conversion. If you built the fuse out of balsa in stead of light ply that would help. You would need to do as much lightening as you could to get it to work.

Dru.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:38 PM
jskrebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already built the thing, actually built it 15 years ago and had it sitting around. Kids are getting into RC and figured I would put it into service as a learner/beater. We have been flying Firebirds and a Wattage Lightning and I have a Mountain Models DuskStick and a Miniflash on the way.

The Grasshopper eighs in @ 20 OZ which makes it a sled no matter what the powwerplant. I think I will stick with COX power until it is trashed and move the kids to the duskStick when I move to the Miniflash.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:08 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used this plane to teach my nephews how to fly. I crashed so many times we lost count the first day. In the end the foam wings started to get soft from the bending on impact.

Dru.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:11 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ace Grasshopper

I built the Alpha, which is similar to this one. I used a speed 480 with MPjet gearbox and 8 cells. Rolls for 30 feet then leaps from runway. Way more than enough power for this plane.
Empty weight was 16 oz. Can't remember what the AUW is, but it can fly fast or slow. Fast for this plane is much faster than scale speed.
Good luck with yours. jollyroger