Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Just bought an SDM piper cub got any tips?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Just bought an SDM piper cub got any tips?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 PM
GreenAce92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an SDM piper cub got any tips?

Hi,

I have just ordered an SDM Pipercub and was wondering if anyone had anything to say about it. I have a Pkz J3 cub and i have lots of spare props. what would happen if i replaced the stock prop with the SDM's stock motor? ANd what does the controller look like and how hard is this plane to fly?

Thanks.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...lScrapBox.html
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Just bought an SDM piper cub got any tips?

Green;

Take a look here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3312791/tm.htm

There are a lot of pages, but the guys are really helpful. You can just go to the last page, introduce yourself, and ask questions. We will help where we can.

Terry
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
GreenAce92

Thanks. I think i have asked people questions on that threadd. Im still not sure about wheather my plane is an SDM piper cub.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 PM
ozrcboy

Whether or not swapping props will work out or not really depends on how much the props are like one another. I think (I think) you may find that the PZ props expect to be run through a gearbox while the SDM props are for direct drive. In that case, the Pz props will not work on your SDM.

You put in some simulator time yet?

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:36 AM
FMB42

Yep, some of the early SDM Cubs are direct drive while the later versions run a gearbox. The direct drive Cubs are very "underpowered" (with the supplied prop) while the geared Cubs are just "underpowered". You will want to talk with AJ1202 and some of the other members about what makes this model fly better. The controller on mine is of the "single stick" variety with a sliding throttle on the back of the TX.

My direct drive Cub was tail heavy with the C.G. set as per the manual BTW.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:44 PM
GreenAce92

>You put in some simulator time yet?

No not yet i was planning on buying one of those 200 dollar setups where you have it wireless or you have one with a chord and a dummy box but i got tangled up in other projects. Umm if it is direct drive which i think it is can you fly it on 1/3 power. I mean im not bad at flying its just that like people say the Pkz J3 Cub is underpowered but i think it flies alright sometimes i do think its underpowered since i can just barely do loops but then again you dont really see real cubs doing that now do ya? Also i have bought a highpitched prop for the Pkz J3 Cub and i noticed my whole plane was shaking and it was really unstable plus it drained power quicker. Also i have a small field with tons of trees so i usually have to fly my plane like 100-120 ft up and then i have to do a steep dive, pull up and land for landing. Can the SDM Piper Cub handle "some" wind and climb high or would i be better flying in an open field?

thanks.