Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Get Your First Park Flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
A Gift from someone
16.09%
Personally Bought from a local Hobby Shop
42.53%
Personally Bought from another type of retailer (i.e. "Toy" store)
8.05%
Personally Bought from another type of retailer (i.e. "Toy" store)
2.30%
Online Hobby Retailer
19.54%
E-Bay or another online auction
11.49%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Where Did You Get Your First Park Flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 AM
TheHobbyGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where Did You Get Your First Park Flyer?

Hi all!
When I started with Park Flyers, I started with a ParkZone Firebird (I think thats what it was called) and I bought it at a local Hobby Shop. I was wondering where many of you started out and what was the source of your first Park Flyer.

I would like to gather this data for the Park Pilots SIG [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6064430/anchors_6064430/mpage_1/key_ipfa/anchor/tm.htm#6064430]IFPA Thread[/link] so we can see how most people get involved with this aspect of the hobby. I appreciate you time and answers.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM
vega2614

Default RE: Where Did You Get Your First Park Flyer?

Not including the Air Hogs brand RC products (Aero Ace, Defender, etc.), the first Park Flyer I got was a 2-channel Yellow Bee from Harbor Freight Tools. The Air Hogs planes got me interested in RC flight, but the Yellow Bee got me hooked. After flying that a lot, I then bought a 3-channel Shun Da Piper Cub, also from Harbor Freight. The cub has been brushless/lipo upgraded since then, since it was underpowered.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Dave ESPI

After a bunch of years and never having flown planes, I went to Toys R Us and picked up an airhogs Havoc Heli and saw an Estes SKYRANGERS plane sitting there. It looked cool, and when I saw the sticker price, I siad.. "Meh, I'll try it for 20.00"....

Since then I have been hooked all this summer, and have now got 7 electric planes of various styles. My present newset one is an E-flite tribute FX that I have yet to build, and a COX warbird.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
patnchris

I bought my first plane at an Ace Hardware store. They were closing out HobbyZone and had a bunch of Firebird Freedoms they were discounting. Having never flown anything but control line as a kid, I decided that this could be fun....Over a span of 2 months I'd purchased another complete plane and all the replacement parts they had. I also purchased enought parts for another complete new plane from my local hobby shop. This was supposed to be a beginner plane, and I couldn't make it fly!!!!!!.....I even got the mfg involved and got a rep. to look over my plane. He showed me all the reasons it wouldn't fly and even gave me enough new parts to facilitate repairs to get the proper set up. He also showed me the new Super Cub that they were getting ready to release.....I managed to talk him out of it and brought it home, with the stipulation that I wouldn't try and fly it, until I was able to get some stick time on the Freedom......Armed with a repaired, properly assembled, properly trimmed, and checked out Freedom, I took to the field. I'd never gotten it to fly more than a couple hundred feet, before, but I was determined. It only cost me two more complete sets of wings and a fabricated tail, and darn, !!!! I was actually flying in circles and landing on occasion, without needing to repair it...LOL.....I could resist no longer. I took the Super Cub to the field, set it down, with a fully charged battery. I hit the throttle and it took off so nice and sweet!!! I flew 4 packs and never had a bad landing.....I even did a loop....LOL....In doing a little reading, here, I found that the FireBird Freedom was truely a handful, and should never been marketed as a beginner plane. I actually kept the Freedom for almost another year, and flew it a crazy as you can fly a 3 channel......But I was totally hooked after the Super Cub. I have since purchased 22 planes, all of which were either converted to brushless or built that way, from the start. I've given up on NIMH batteries and gone totally Lipo. For something that starter out as "I think I can get $69 worth of fun out of this thing", I think I have progressed to another level. While I do no fly 3D, I can do most aerobatic maneuvers and I only need to repair a plane once in a while. I've joined the AMA and also joined a local flying club. Most in the club kindda look down on most electrics, and I'd never take a foamy to the field, but I'm gaining a little respect, every week, as I show up with new, prettier, faster, and more aerobatic planes. I'd say I'm in the hobby for good.....Pat
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 AM
TheHobbyGuy

Wow! I am amazed at the results so far! I think I am more amazed how it seems everyone went from there "first parkie" to having a hanger full of planes!

PatnChris - I still have my Firebird and I think I had the same issues as you, but I always figured I just did not have a clue! Well, I don't have a clue still, but at least the plane flys now...LOL!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 AM
mad web tv scientist

TheHobbyGuy, Not counting Air Hog equipment that caught my attention about affordable practical R/C flying machines, the Aero Voyager was my first real Park Flyer. As a long time customer of Tower Hobbies it was only natural to try their R/C equipment. I still have it and intend to continue to fly it occasionally. I actually flew a low, slow "lazy eight" over my baseball site before becoming too traumatized by crashes to continue trying to fly it.

I was well along in the construction of my new book-pattern C/L stunter when R/C interrupted the project that I must get back too as soon as certain R/C goals are met. My R/C goals are taking a lot longer than I thought would be the case.

Actually, I am running out of excuses about why I have not gotten back to my C/L flying activities. The following url might help provide some context for my modeling situation. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...tm.htm#6248817

I really must become a more proficient R/C flyer before I can become involved in any other aspect of modeling.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Tommyr

For me it was the Slo-V. Broke the engine mount. Then I tried an Easy Star, couldn't get the hang of it. Got a T-Hawk and BINGO! After 2 attempts I finally "got it" and been loving it ever since. Got a Parkzone Cessna 210 and LOVE that little plane as well. Still have the Easy star and have to get that one up one of these days. My fave is the T-Hawk! GREAT plane!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Started with an Aerobird Challenger bought on e-bay from a hobby shop. Didn't even know there was a hobby shop not too far away. I disvocered the LHS when I broke my first wing.

After that I went to a GWS Pico Cub, then a Mountain Models Dandy, then a SuperFly and a SuperFlea, then my first glow was a Skyraider Mach II, then a 40 size Extra 300, then a Giant Aeromaster gasser, then a Big Bingo gasser, then an Ultra Stick 60, then a Magpie AP which I just came in from flying .... it didn't take long to get hooked and stay hooked.

I flew control line as a kid, saw a picture of a guy flying a Challenger at a local park and decided I had to have one. What the heck - it was a few weeks after Christmas and at age 52, I figured I deserved it! That was 3 years ago.

It's a great hobby - and more and more stuff keeps coming out. The LHS even moved a few miles closer to me! What's a guy to do?!?!?!?!?

BobbyG
Old 08-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

LOL, my first electric was the PZ Cub, and it's been down hill ever since. Oh the money I've spent. [X(]
Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
mad web tv scientist

Tommyr, Great to hear about your success as well as that of others. These kinds of success stories provide encouragement for newbies that can help them over the inevitable rough spots we all have to experience on our way to wild blue yonder glory.

If everybody involved in Park Flyer pleasures will insist on positive, upbeat, encouraging post content from contributing modeling enthusiasts, growth in numbers and quality of the modeling experience will be inevitable.

The included url might be useful for modeling promoting purposes. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...tm.htm#5955265

TheHobbyGuy, I am very impressed with the thread mentioned in your post. I also admire your courage to take on such an undertaking. So, as one of my friends recently told me, GIVE 'EM HEAVEN!

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Flyin C

I got mine as a graduation present, My dad spent $110 on a 2ch plane, sher it tought me how to fly but If I knew more I would not of gotten it for my first plane.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 AM
mad web tv scientist

Flyin C, Could you expound on your first plane a little more? Your "flying wing thread" is interesting but it does not seem to include your first plane.

It would be interesting to read about your first flight experiences.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
hawk3ye

My first was a SLo-V, given to me from my GF about 2 years ago, I loved that plane the only mods i did to it were the 1180 prop and the 7 cell nimh battery....

I've got 7 planes now in my hanger lol! My second plane was a PZ Focke Wulf, after that an EMI P-38, a GWS Zero, a HL Bird Dog, a GWS Me-109, and lastly a DLG glider
Old 08-28-2007, 03:25 PM
surjer

I talked about PLanes and frequented the Air Force museum my whole life. This past Christmas my wife went to the LHS and asked them for a good plane for a person with no experience with flying RC planes. They recomended the HZ SuperCub so she picked it up!

OMG thank you thank you thank you! ~I bought her an MP3 player and boy or boy did she have me beat! I was WAYYYY more exactatic about my plane than she was about her MP3 player. She sure did ACT like she loved it tho! lol
Old 08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Mr. Mugen

I bought firebird freedom and then a SC. I gave the freedom away the 2nd day I had it. I did not like it what so ever. The guy learned to fly on it and gave it back then I passed it on to another new pilot who know owns 3 planes. He is returning it this week and I am giving it away again.....it shoud be called the boomerang. After the first 2 planes the rest were real easy to buy............addicted for life!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:28 PM
FMB42

My first PF was a Cessna 2 ch from Ebay. I now have the following PF fixed wing models in addition to the Cessna;

SD J3 Cub from HF tools.
L.S. Zero from Grand Hobby (online store).
Simple series Corsair, Ebay.
Phase 3 Mustang, Hobby People.
B17 2 chn, Epanya (online).
Mosquito 2chn, " ".
P-38 2 chn, " ".
JU 88 2 chn, Grand Hobby.
Plus a couple of generic 2 chn planes, HobbyTron.

P.S. RC models are not addictive. They're not, they're not, they're not!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Flyin C

ok,
here is the plane-
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ2500

Well my first flight was bright and early, no wind at all. My dad gave it a toss and it hit the ground and a chunk of foam came out of the wing! I still flew anyways, this time I threw it and up it went. Giving full throttle to climb and Full right she truned, up and up it went and I Started feeking out! For some reason I kept giving full throttle and I had it about 1 block away from the park, and 400ft high. I was really scared but I just cut the throttle and steered it toward the field and got it back! Next flight was with my friend who is a flyer and I learned so much and had a great flight!

Im glad you like my Hyperflea thread, I fly it all the time, my absolute FAVORITE!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 AM
mad web tv scientist

Flyin C, Park Flyer pleasures are unstoppable!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first flight was with a Airfoil Z Edge 540. It is my Grandson,s airplane. I helped him pay for it. We both like it. I am going to get a electric plane going also. Capt,n
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 PM
mad web tv scientist

captin, WOW! That is quite a plane to learn to fly with! Could you tell us more about your flying adventures with it? If I were not so addicted to soaring with only a little maneuvering thrown in just for fun, I would have to have one of those planes myself.

You definitely seem to be a natural pilot, I hope you will stay with it.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Fisher

My first plane was a Park Zone Slo-V. It was underpowered out of the box and a real handful trying to learn without any support. Finally got the hang of it and still have it or a mix of old and new parts after 3 years. Very fun to fly at night. I now own 2 Strykers, 2 scratch built foamies a GP Reflection, GP Foam Force P-51 and 3 XPV minis.

My 13 year old son tried to fly the Slo-V and did not have much luck. For some reason we got him a Stryker and believe it or not he was able to fly the heck out of it first time out. I think the aileron control works well for kids with computer game skills. They are very comfortable with bank and yank.

The gear has gotten affordable and the technology has gone from novelty to high performance. Every frustrated 12 year old is now living out his flying fantasies at 45 or 50.

I am not a member of the AMA and do not plan to join. Not sure why.

Now to build a CNC foam cutter and begin churning out slow flyers to give to school kids for science class. What a way to learn about physics and have way to much fun in the process.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM
mad web tv scientist

Fisher, it's really great to read of success stories like yours. Among other things your experience is a living demonstration of the power of perseverance.

It really is fun to discover the truth by direct experience as you have done, especially when we find that the "experts" (?) aren't nearly as smart as they think they are. My experience is similar to yours. I found that reducing rather than increasing the weight of my planes was far better for flying in the wind because of the critical value of enjoying an adequate power to weight ratio.

Like your son I also found that aileron power can't be beat, especially in turbulent wind conditions. The included url brings up some of my windy weather adventures. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6340729/tm.htm

Your approach in helping kids enjoy physics is priceless. I hope you will not allow anyone who has become a legend in their own mind to discourage you.

I can appreciate your attitude about the AMA. In my case I feel a certain debt of gratitude for past performance of the AMA as well as hope for its possible future value. At the moment modeling tends to be an irrelevant esoteric end in itself. This trend will change, of course, once vested interests fully realize that there is money in being on the winning side of the culture war. Nothing can open closed minds like the glitter of a little GOLD!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:40 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In reply to Mads first Post. Thanks for the boost in my ego....but I have been flying RC aircraft since 1974. Simulators help too. I learned to fly knife edge on my aerofly Pro and went right out and did it on my real RC Airplane. At first I liked speed. I had a quickie 500, a Scatcat, a .40 size Hots with a custom thinner airfoil and some other quite fast planes like a Mustang. They went fast ....but would not do aerobatics....so I then awitched to more aerbatic planes. Love it. Capt,n
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 PM
mad web tv scientist

captin, glad to find out about your experience. It has been reported that a number of flyers have flown well on their first flights and from your post it seemed that you had also. Flight sims have really proven to be very useful in many cases. Your experience helps confirm that of others.. I remember when "experts" (?) condemned sims. We can certainly understand why experts are considered to be "has been drips under pressure."

Speaking of speed, in my last Control-Line contest I "enjoyed" (?) piloting the winning "21 Fun Speed" event flying clockwise (works best with counter clockwise running engines). The builder of the speed plane had set it up such that I had to slam in hard full down control when flying into the wind and hard full up when coming around down wind. Fortunately, I was able (just barely) to hold my wrist on the center circle support for an official flight.

Yes, I like engines also. I don't run them in my favorite Park Flyer flying sites. There are a number of places where I can run engines and possibly attract new modeling enthusiasts. At the moment I am too busy with PFs to mess with my engines.

In my early years of stunt plane designing I experimented with "knife edge" lifting surfaces. I found that drag and turbulence effects made engine offset to the outside of the circle and rudder offset to the inside of the circle to be the winning design features in Control-Line aerobatics applications. I also used something R/Cers and full scale airplane flyers know quit well, P-Factor rudder force in high "G" turns to prevent wobble. Because this technology fails to glorify the politically correct "Control-Line god's," the C/Lers just can't grasp my use of "wiggly rudders."

Among other things, of course, the greatest thing I enjoy about most R/Cers is that they are generally not closed-minded about airplane technology - very refreshing!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 PM
mad web tv scientist

captin, while checking to see what was left of my posts after posting a suggested "finalized post signature" on my "Blog" (second url) I found that I left a few details out of my last post that might be useful.

Besides light weight, the main factor that allows good performance in my seemingly too large for 1/2A engines "modeling promoting" Control-Line aerobatics airplanes is their low drag characteristics.

The first url that got removed from my Blog brings up a web site that shows some of the fun that can be had with such machines.

Keep on having fun!

http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...MODELAVIATION/

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.