Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

NO WEIGHT INCREASE with 50% more NiMH power!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

NO WEIGHT INCREASE with 50% more NiMH power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:48 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO WEIGHT INCREASE with 50% more NiMH power!

50% more NiMH power with NO WEIGHT INCREASE!

If you have an airplane with nose ballast like the stock "Aero Voyager" does and would enjoy more flight time with no added weight, here is an idea you might like.

It turns out that by removing the ballast and replacing the stock battery with one of the batteries found on the urls below that you can end up with 50% greater flying time and no weight penalty. To use my stock batteries, I simply install a rolled up length of solder that equals the "dead weight" of the ballast that comes with the plane.

Now for the rest of the AV story - It turns out that when the transmitter batteries start getting too low that the motors on the AV tend to "surge and stop running" like they do normally when the airplane batteries are low on charge and it is time to land. The symptoms usually start when the power is decreased after soaring altitude is reached. Except for maybe one time when I may have been pointing the antenna directly at the plane when it got too far away down wind, I have never been aware of actually losing radio contact with the plane during the time when I was unknowingly flying with weak batteries. It's nice to finally figure out the causes of puzzling symptoms.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLAS2&P=M

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLEW0&P=0

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.