Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ElectriFly L-39

Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
animal acker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ElectriFly L-39

Rcmob: I had a diablo and it was a turd as you guys are aware at this point. How can you say that you stand by the listings of your planes when all the other owners say otherwise? Im not trying to be mean but I feel that something must be wrong with your testing or maybe marketing, for there to be such discrepancies. Now I have heard good things about this L-39 and will buy it, but please try to be a bit more realistic in your touting of these products. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
idealhobbies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCMob,

I''m sorry, but I have to agree with Animal on the Diablo. I have blown more $ on this plane than I should have and I HATE it. It''s junk. I did not just fall off the turnip truck yesterday, but the R&D team who developed this POS sure did. I currently have a Super Cub, PZ T28, Funjet, Gemini, and a Slow Stick. I know what I am doing. I bought the Diablo for Christmas for my son to learn on. Did everything that I was supposed to do, and then some. Balanced, trimmed, etc. 1st, the thing WILL NOT balance with the stock battery. Not without adding weight to an already heavy plane, or digging out the foam in the nose to get the battery farther forward. I did find however, that it balances perfectly with a 2200mah battery, which makes me suspect that they were developed with a heavier battery in mind, but the cheaper solution thrown into the box. After a miserable attempt at a first flight, I tried the duel pod to get more juice. Way too heavy! Crash!

Now, what I am is stupid. Stupid for spending more time and money on this lemon. I''ve replaced the motor with brushless, modded the pod since the pod locks do nothing to keep the pod on, and put it on the top. I''ve stripped and raped every last ounce I can get off this garbage to lighten the loading. My son wanted the plane, and I want it to fly for him, but enough is enough. With everything I have spent on this plane to make it fly, I could have had a few Quality planes. Silly me, being a father who wants to make my son happy, but this garbage that is being sold as a great trainer has let me, and many many others. Want to get an idea of how many others? Look at Tower Hobby''s scratch and dent area. Last 4 months it has been flooded with Diablos. Each Diablo is an unhappy, unsatisfied customer!

Please, don''t get up on your soap box and preach to us what a wonderful job the R&D department does, when there are scores of crashed Diablos sitting in peoples garages, basements, workshops, and the Landfill. You want to make us happy, recall this POS and issue us credit for $200 for another plane. Until that happens, you can keep your "we try so hard" speeches to yourself. We are not buying it!

Ps. For your info, I have been considering the L39, but I''m really not sure since I''ve already been burned once. I''m waiting for reviews before I hand over $1 to your company.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would love to take you up on that offer but both planes have been sold. Let me say one thing regaurding your recommended set up and flight speeds. They are a far cry from accurate. IMO they are in a dive with a 20mph tail wind.......
Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM
RCmob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gentlemen,

I am sorry you feel that way about some of our products. If you think they are defective, send them in for a replacement.

Regarding the Synapse, is there anything I can do to show you that our testing is correct? Would a video with a stalker gun in the shot suffice? Something that you can Waveoscope? Anything else?

Respectfully

RCmob
Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It''s all good man. I dont need any proof. I flew them. I know what they are capable of. They are what they are. Not here to cause a stir, just telling others what to expect. I tell it like I see it. No bs from me.

Kevin
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
animal acker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rcmob: My Diablo was destroyed because of a radio glitch from the crappy radio which was sold in the package. Are you saying that I can send back this, this, thing for lack of a better word, and you will satify me as a frustrated customer? By the way this is my second diablo, the first one I had crashed when the wing snapped in mid air as I attempted to make a slow gradual turn. I sent that one back as well via my local hobby shop who was more than gracious. And thats not all, I purchased some advanced wings for that crappy plane and when I got them one of the wings was warped like a pringles potato chip. I showed the owner of the hobby shop, so he opened another and the carbo fiber rod was to long so we ground it down and finally I could fly this turd!
If there was a fan somewhere I would fly that plane right into it just to be able to say that the **** hit the fan!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 AM
RCmob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes Animal Acker, that is what I am saying. E-mail Hobby Services and explain the problem. We offer a warranty for cases such as this.

Thank you

RCmob

Old 04-16-2008, 07:02 PM
animal acker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rcmob: Thank you for your suggestion, I have done just that. And thank you for being a sounding board for all the unhappy customers, it's hard to find people of character in this day and age.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My L-39 flew exactly as far as I could throw it. I do believe the motor is rated for sea level and not at any altitude. Here in Reno at 4600 feet altitude the included motor does not provide enough power. It didn't even accelerate. I figured I wouldn't get even close to the performance stated in any material on the L-39 with a stock setup. Now it's on to a Ammo 24-33-4875 Brushless In-Runner, and Silver Series 35A Brushless ESC to see how that works. Any ideas from Great Planes?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
RCmob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

My L-39 flew exactly as far as I could throw it. I do believe the motor is rated for sea level and not at any altitude. Here in Reno at 4600 feet altitude the included motor does not provide enough power. It didn't even accelerate. I figured I wouldn't get even close to the performance stated in any material on the L-39 with a stock setup. Now it's on to a Ammo 24-33-4875 Brushless In-Runner, and Silver Series 35A Brushless ESC to see how that works. Any ideas from Great Planes?

Actually CowboyLifesaver, I am wondering if you would be willing to help us get some high altitude data. Do you have an accurate scale (+- 1/20 oz)? and an volt/amp metter?

If you can measure the thrust and amps/volts going into the motor in an accurate manner, we might be able to analyze the stock system's performance at those altitudes and then possibly make a better motor recommendation. These measurements have to be accurate and in fact, if you could measure this about 10 times and post the data, it would be great.

RCmob
Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I plan to purchase a new L-39 and the motor esc combo I mentioned in the last post before hand. I am also going to fix the other one, since it wasn't damaged too badly. I will get data from both of them for you. I will see what I can do about getting some data for you. I belong to the Desert Lakes Flying Group. I will tell you the 27% Cap 232 with the OS 160 and the APC 17X13 prop is a great combo for this altitude. I was concerned about that setup when I purchased that airplane. It has been great. We have a great group of pilots and wanna-be engineers, and one guy that is a designer that is incredible. I'll see what I can do to get data for you ASAP. If you are ever interested in high altitude testing at Great Planes, we have the altitude and a huge area to fly and test in. We basically have our own Edwards Air Force base. HAHA
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
RCmob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PM sent
Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 AM
emperor187

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just to chime in my own 2 pence,

My buddy has a Diablo and loves it. I have flown it as well and enjoy it, though admittedly I am more a "prop guy." Now having said that though, I will also say, had we NOT "fixed" the servos and pushrod locations our first flight with the Diablo would have been a wreck! The Diablo for some reason unknown to me ships with the rods on the servo-side with little play in them (they are too close to the servo itself). We could not trim the rudder/elevator as shipped. Once we took the rods off and realigned them for more throw servo-side, it was actually very easy to trim the rudder/elevator with a small adjustment to the clevis for both surfaces.

I would guess the Diablo, claiming to be a trainer, would not want to introduce too much control throw in a beginner aircraft. Personally, I prefer the control limits to be handled just by adjusting the length on the control surfaces section (and with a clear instruction manual on how to gain more control by moving the clevis towards the surface). Having to take off the rod from the servo is going a bit too far imo for a "beginner." And you will need that throw to have proper control on the Diablo. Talking to our LHS, the guy said that has been the number 1 reason for Diablo-returns. Beginners not knowing to/how to adjust the rod servo-side and believing the aircraft just cannot fly. It CAN and DOES fly and fly well (atleast at 600ish ft elevation) once those control rods are adjusted.

Do not make "high-G" turns in the Diablo though. That resulted in a magnetic wing coming off and the Diablo-proper becoming a lawndart. Luckily those nose cones are easy to replace

Now I am curious how the L-39 handles!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
opjose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: idealhobbies

RCMob,

1st, the thing WILL NOT balance with the stock battery. Not without adding weight to an already heavy plane, or digging out the foam in the nose to get the battery farther forward. I did find however, that it balances perfectly with a 2200mah battery, which makes me suspect that they were developed with a heavier battery in mind, but the cheaper solution thrown into the box.
I purchased the RXR version and I find this not to be the case.

I tried several 1800 and 2200mAh batteries I had on hand and I found that I MUST use something much smaller to get the C.G. right, like the recommended batteries which I ended up ordering.

Even with the 1800mAh packs mine is way too nose heavy.

This even with the RX and the ESC as far back as I could put them ( up against the rear magnet area ).

I don't understand why you would see such a difference with the stock motor setup as I have exactly the same thing.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 PM
The_Russian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,

I am on my second L-39 after a crash. I am very happy with it so far. CG seems to be the factor when it come to actual airspeed. The CG tends to be forward of the limit no matter what if the setup is using a bigger than advertised battery.

My second plane will have a 24-45-3790 motor with a SS-45 ESC and a 4S 1500mAh Flightpower lipo. 37.5 and 60 amp outputs. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also performed the electronics bay mod as performed on the other thread to provide additional cooling.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 PM
tmaucher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ihad a synapse receiver ready and enjoyed it. I tip stalled it on its maiden, and crashed on the next 15 launches after that , until I figured that it took a perfectlly level toss. Not necessarily a hard toss either. Despite the manual saying you can use non foam safe ca glue it attack the foam. Every launch would dip allmost to the ground and about 20 feet out it would pick up enough speed to take to flight. When flying it flew pretty fast and sounded cool,but I dont think it was as fast as 77. fun non the less. The servos looked like junk but actually worked well, I still have them but i dought that i will reuse them. Thank you rcmob for standing up for your co, and I will purchase again . By the way i am in ks in the center so i dont think elevation is a concern.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 AM
luvmykids2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, I certainly wish that I had read this forum before I bought the L-39!!! I had my maiden this morning and it dropped like a rock. Full bore, great launch...flew about 20 feet. Way underpowered. I could feel it TRYING to push but just not enough thrust to make it happen. I am going to try a much lighter pack and see if it makes a difference, but my flight times will be nil. BEWARE anyone wanting to buy these products! LOOKS GREAT, but doesn't fly without major upgrades.

BTW, almost every landing strips your servos because they are unprotected on the bottom (well there is foam, but them tear off on the first landing)

I am going to see if the manufacturer will help me...
Old 05-14-2008, 12:08 PM
opjose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had no problems launching my ( seriously out of trim ) Synapse initially.

The C.G. was purposely set slight floward of what the documentation said.

I used a small 1000mAh pack which was perfect.

The plane was given a light level forward toss, with the throttle at about 70%.

It started to roll right, I corrected and gave it throttle.

Because I had set the center point as recommended here, it actually wanted to nose up. I had to add a bit of down trim.

It then flew very well. Everyone commented on how fast it was, though it did NOT look particularly so to me....
I believe this to be "pilot myopia"... It was fairly fast as it was carving BIG circles in the sky...

A glitch ( I was out waaay too far for my single conversion RX, big circles again... ) sent it in at full speed.

The Synapse nose broke off ( which is easy to fix ), but I lost the wing tip... which is not obtainable as a spare part.

The bottom of the plane looks horrid... so much for the Aerocell ( big deal!, heat treated cooler foam... ugh ).

The electronics are now going into an XPD-8. This should be perfect for the XPD-8.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:15 PM
luvmykids2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This just seems underpowered, you know when you got thrust...you can jsut feel it. There was not much at all.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:31 PM
The_Russian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: luvmykids2

well, I certainly wish that I had read this forum before I bought the L-39!!! I had my maiden this morning and it dropped like a rock. Full bore, great launch...flew about 20 feet. Way underpowered. I could feel it TRYING to push but just not enough thrust to make it happen. I am going to try a much lighter pack and see if it makes a difference, but my flight times will be nil. BEWARE anyone wanting to buy these products! LOOKS GREAT, but doesn't fly without major upgrades.

BTW, almost every landing strips your servos because they are unprotected on the bottom (well there is foam, but them tear off on the first landing)

I am going to see if the manufacturer will help me...
That is absolutely not true. My stock L-39 flew fine with a 25C 3s 2250 battery in the front of it. I also installed S3156 servos in the wings which are the same case/shape as the S3114 servos. The metal gears are invincible.

Along with installing the 3156 servos, try placing your battery as far aft as possible, next to the elevator servo next to the rear "bulkhead". Wait to epoxy the fan unit down until the last step, even after you balance the airplane. This will allow you to move the fan back or forward to adjust the CG for your particular setup. It should fly just fine.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:34 PM
luvmykids2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THat's exactly where I have it to balance out. The fan runs smooth (had to take the nose cone off) I am not sure what else I am missing, but it struggles for a bit and then just fades into the ground...
Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 PM
opjose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

THat's exactly where I have it to balance out. The fan runs smooth (had to take the nose cone off) I am not sure what else I am missing, but it struggles for a bit and then just fades into the ground...
Which Battery packs are you using?

This sounds exactly like what would happen if the ESC was drawing more than the battery was capable of.

The voltage starts dropping quickly and you seem to loose power.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
The_Russian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Taking the nose cone off would severely reduce the fan's ability to draw air from the duct. The cone's purpose is to route all the air in the duct directly into the path of the blades. Otherwise all you have is turbulent air ramming into the flat spot which deflects the flow from the blades. This will be where you are losing some of your power.

Why did you have to ditch the nose cone? It should fit fine on all setups.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:18 PM
luvmykids2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i saw a lot of people on the other forum ditching them because of balancing problems. It's instantly out of balance with it on. I am using an 1800 mah battery. To heavy?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM
The_Russian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine flew just fine on the stock setup with a 2250 Loong max up front. It was also forward of the max CG. All the while, it launched well and behaved quite like how a real jet does.

I am still concerned with the loss of the nose cone. What was the reason for losing that?

Search this Thread