Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

StrykerB Lipo upgrade questions

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

StrykerB Lipo upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
jeffsend
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StrykerB Lipo upgrade questions

Hello,
I've been flying the heck out of my Stryker B. It is stock except for the radio gear. I put in a Electrifly C-25 speed control,upgraded to Deans plugs,and got a computer radio. It's been alot of fun,but the NIMH batteries start to get weak after 7 minutes or so and I end up landing at around 8 or 9 minutes with barely enough power to keep it airborne.
I would like to try some Lipos with the hope of getting longer flight times and a little more power. I would like to try just the battery upgrade for now and hopefully I can use the batteries I buy in another plane later on(been thinking about getting the Mini Pulse). I have a Triton 2 charger. I intend to use the supplied lipo prop if that is a good idea?

My questions are:
What batteries do you suggest for this application?
Are there any good ones that cost less than the top brands?
Will this upgrade give me significantly longer flight times?
Do I need any special tools to test amp draw and that sort of thing?(still new to electric stuff)
Any advice appreciated....
thanks,
JT
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: StrykerB Lipo upgrade questions

I went with the lipos reccommended for the B (11.2v 2100 mah) and got much better times 10 - 12 min.. But I got tremendous speed improvment as I stayed with the stock nimd prop. I was told that this prop would burn up the esc but I have yet to have a problem (working on my 2nd season with it).

you can probably find less expesive lipos but I've had better experience with the stock thunder power / e flight batteries
Old 08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
tam popo

jeffsend - I run 3 Strykers (home-build) with lipos 2100 and 2200. Flight times 10min.+-. There are 2 things you need to watch out for. I'm not familiar with your charger, but if it charges thru the balancer plug all your future Lipos should be fitted with these plugs - but beware, there are a few different plug types out there. There is no standardisation in the lipo industry (there should be!!!). My lipos are HiModel and good and charge thru a balancer. Do you charge in the house with mains adapter or car? In-house is probably best with car as back up. I know for sure someone is going to disagree and these view are purely personal, so sue my Ar....!!![][&o]
Get yourself a prop adapter and start to build up a collection of electric lipo compatible props, you'll need them. Cost: Next to nothing Hopethis helps, Oh, and try to read the Dark Side thresd and similar ones, its a mine of info and someone will have more detailed info for you!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:04 PM
jeffsend

tam,
Thanks for the tips.
I went ahead and ordered a couple 3S 2200 12C batteries.
My charger does not balance on it's own so It probably depends on which balancer I get for it. I am thinking I will use a discharge balancer and charge through the main battery leads. I may be able to borrow a friends blinky balancer,I think the batteries I ordered will work with that one.
I charge in the house with a a/c-d/c power supply and off my truck battery at the field.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 PM
tam popo

Jeffsend, hiya - When you mention "Truck" I hope you don't mean 24V battery (as in some trucks). Do you connect straight to battery using Crocodile clips or cigar lighter? Most UK and European cars are 12V but good old US of A cars/trucks might be 24V. Just checking, hate to see your lipos (and yourself) do a Shuttle inpersonation. Now, Shuttle - there's an idea for my next home-build, has anyone done one? Where's the foam? Byeeee
Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM
jeffsend

I have a small pickup and it is a12v battery,but thanks for the concern. There's definately alot of variables for a beginner to get a handle on with this stuff,but I have done tons of reading through the forums and have picked up alot.
I have been using my charger at the field to get one or two extra flights with my 2 NIMH's on a good flying day. I connect the charger directly to the battery via clips.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
tam popo

Jeffsend - Thats good about the battery! Justsome help - if ever you need to repair the "B" a complete new shell is about $22!!! there aren't many planes like that. If you can insert cf rods to fuse to strengthen and magnets to keep the canopies and nose on. A velcro strip helps keep battery on-board if you crash!!. Fins and elevons can be made of balsa and taped on if needed. These are tips done by Crittehunter and Somegeek and work. And watch wot paint you use on foam, some can melt it. Thats enough for now, good luck!!