Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

TWM Midget Mustang Mini EP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 AM
TalonLM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWM Midget Mustang Mini EP

Just purchased a World Models Midget Mustang Mini EP and finished the assembly. Not sure what size Prop to use. Is there a thread on choosing the right prop?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:42 PM
3djunkie

Default RE: TWM Midget Mustang Mini EP

I was looking at purchasing one of these, how is the quality of the build and are you happy with it? As far as a power plant I was planning on a hotliner with a gear driven 7-5 or 7-6 apc eprop turning around 15000. I did this with a 10000 kv car motor and a 8-6 on a 34" warhawk with a 6.6-1 drive with 16000 rpm at the prop and it was awesome fast!!!!!!! As far as the stock drive, I would email world models and see what they suggest.......
Old 09-09-2007, 09:05 AM
TalonLM

I am new to this hobby, so I don't have alot of experience with ARF's or Kits, I built a BLT once and thought I did a better job on it than TWM did on the Midget, although they did a better job at covering than I could have. Currently I have scrapped the Midget as it would appear that this was not the aircraft for my experience level (lot of sim time and I fly a Slow stick at the local park). I flew it once (just a hop off the ground and back down) and then had someone at the local flying field do a test run and that ended in a crash although the only damage was a bent motor shaft, broken prop and a bent tail wheel (everything else was repaired with a little CA). I ended up using an APC 6x4, and with a 2s pack it was drawing about 9 amps, with the 3s pack I had purchased for it, it would draw 16. One over for the capacity of the stock motor but this was at full throttle. The cause of the crash was stated as "too much aileron". The recommended control throws seem to be a little much. TWM recommended 8mm on the Ailerons and I was using about (best guess) 5 to 6mm. So you might want to consider cutting the recommended throws in half or at least setting up some conservative Dual Dates if your TX allows. All this said though, it is a cool looking plane and it will look nice sitting on the shelf for a while. Maybe I will revisit it in a few years. My first clue should have been when the old timers at the LHS were saying " what is that? It sure looks like a hand full". Oh well, lesson learned, however costly. I tried to upload a couple of pictures, but it would appear I will have to do that another time. In short I thought it was a good model, but not for inexperienced flyers.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 AM
TalonLM

Tried posting pics but could'nt get them to upload, but they are in my member gallery.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 AM
3djunkie

Thanks for the input, at 27" and around 150 squares I can see it being a busy plane . I am hoping to try one soon and I will let you know how it goes. I have been flying for about 10 years and am really enjoying these electrics. Recently I have been flying the all wood 34" warbirds from BP hobbies {Warhawk} and they fly really well on a 450 outrunner 0r a 400 inrunner geared at 6.6-1. Both were turning a 9-6 apc slowflyer prop. I recently added the 6.6-1 Max geared Dynamite C4 10000kv motor I spoke of earlier and like I stated it was awesome. Another great flying line is the Electrifly Hellcat or the corsair. These are inexpensive and fly great on the stock motor with a three cell, great for the intermediate. The only thing I suggest with these is glueing the elevator pushrod tube to the side of the fuse, too much slop otherwise.......,,P>S anyone wanting to use this hotliner set up...........Some horizontal stabs are not built strong enough and will come apart around 100+ mph........This also is very exciting..Good Luck
Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
TalonLM

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33813.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	759587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52962.jpg
Views:	45