Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

AMA Membership

Old 03-19-2003, 06:57 AM
jodan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Membership

If I am going to fly park/slow flyers in a school or a local park, do I still need to get a membership from AMA? Is this something that is required? Also, will the insurance that comes with the membership cover any accidents that may occur?
Thanks,
Jodan
Old 03-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Tippie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Membership

No, you don't need to join the AMA to fly at a park or local ballfield unless the local authorities require the coverage (many do). Will AMA insurance cover ANY accidents that may occur - NO. AMA insurance coverage may be voided if you do not follow the safety rules as prescribed by AMA. Go outside the box and you are on your own. Note, the AMA insurance coverage is secondary to any personal insurance you may have. When your primary insurance coverage is exceeded then AMA will kick in. If you don't have a homeowners insurance policy or any other liability/theft insurance then AMA insurance is primary. AMA coverage also covers theft and vandalism. Don't imagine that AMA insurance may never be used because there have been some very large claims paid by that insurance. Also, AMA membership is not just insurance. It lobbies for radio frequencies, establishes rules for model competition (all miniature aircraft, not just RC), provides assistance in saving flying sites, is now lobbying for the model rocket hobbiest that have come under attack, and provides many other services to the hobby that many people overlook. I would mention the house organ publication but that seems to make some people upset. The monthly magazine attempts to report on every aspect of the miniature aircraft hobby and the SIG's (special interest groups) resent printing of articles that they seldom read. Last, if you are a loaner and never intend to fly with others at a fun fly or any other mutual gathering then you can probably get by without. For $58 or less than $5 a month why not remove the doubt for the need. Go to their web site: www.modelaircraft.org and learn about all the functions of the organization.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:33 PM
bmwbob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Membership

I became aware of an AMA insurance benefit the hard way a couple of years ago.
I was working on a plane in my shop, using an X-Acto knife to cut hinge slots in an aileron for CA type hinges. I was holding the aileron in one hand to do this.
Without all of the gorey details, I ended up slicing through the tips of two fingers, and nicking a 3rd.
Wrapping my bloody hand up in a bundle of paper towels,
I drove myself to the emergency room.
Later, I was to discover that the group insurance through my workplace would NOT cover this, as they deemed it to be NOT an "emergency"!!!!
So, I paid the $400 plus out of my own pocket.
Some months after the fact, I was grousing about this to one of my flying buddies, who just HAPPENED to have a copy of Model Aviation open to a page describing the insurance benefits.
He told me that it SEEMED as though this sort of thing would be covered by AMA.
Sure enough! I called AMA and described the circumstances. They had me send a copy of the hospital bill and report.
Bottom line: AMA paid the WHOLE thing, no questions asked!
Just my experience. Yours may vary.
Bob Cowgill
Cocoa, Florida
E-mail:rcowgill@cfl.rr.com
Old 03-19-2003, 03:50 PM
rcflier_gi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Skip AMA

IMO if your flying a 15oz park/slow flyer at the local ball diamond or soccer field I would skip AMA, unless required by local rules or laws.

Search this Thread