Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Doug, the short clip I got of the dakota was on the same camera. I think the trick would be flying low, 40=60' and the camera guy following the plane.

How high do you guys fly? With the larger models I seem to be topping out at about 100'. The aces, when the conditions are right, I'll take to 500'. I generally fly at 60' or so at the high school and 40+' at the park around the corner. This may be a reaction to time and money invested. But I am curious.

BTW, when possible, I'm practicing trying to land at my feet. So far I'm chicken and land 20' away, even with my feet.

Tim
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM
patnchris

There will be flying tomorrow morning. I finished the Mini Funtana X, tonight. Just waiting for the canopy glue to dry, and then do the base adjustments. I'll maiden it in the morning and also fly the Ultra Stik, Extra, and Mini Pulse......Looks Like it's going to be a perfect day.....
Afterwards, I'll need to clean up and orginize the shop, before starting another build. The next up is the Fliton AJ Extra, a .25 size version on the SeaGull Extra I have now, only larger.....Then The Ultimate.....I'm also looking at the new E-Flight Pitts, coming out in Nov.........Maybe for Christmas???.....I told Chris and the kids that All I want for Christmas is gift cards from the LHS....LOL
Can you imagine talking to Santa and telling him you wanted lipos or ESC's for Christmas....LOL.....Pat
Old 09-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Pat, i'm aiming to buy the eflight pitts, but i won't be building it for a long time. it looks really nice. i bought a pitts from ak models but i don't think it's got ailerons on both wings, in which case it will just be a fun flier.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:30 PM
patnchris

Tim,
I normally fly around 100-150 feet. Sometimes higher, depending on the stunt I'm setting up.....
I have noted something about my flying, lately....Man it's so easy to get into bad habits.....The normal pattern flown at out club field is counterclockwise....Therefore everything I do is predicated of a counterclockwise....The other day I was at the field by myself and decided to fly clockwise circuits, like I used to when I first started flying....It was terrible, sloppy, and just a totally nervous for 4 circuits, then I reversed direction and bring the bird down. I'm going to need to make an effort to get more comfortable with flying clockwise.....Pat
Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 PM
ktaylor

Pat, I would have a problem with trying to fly in a pattern,, I fly all over the place, wherever I feel like it. Just ask anyone who saw me fly at Brad's (that is if they can remember my flying over the memories of my crashes)

Wow, you guys didn't waste any time, part 3 got started & I didn't even get a post on the first page....

Nothing interesting to report today. I got the motor that self destructed on the Formosa all the way tore apart last night & unwound. I've got the winding pattern figured out as well. 12 pole motors, if it works is going to open up a whole new world for me.... And, if I can't wind it back to stock I have another option, but it gets weird. Anyone remember my experiments with the 24 pole motors out of the VCR? I did learn something from that. What I can do with the 12 pole motor (assuming I can wind it back to stock) is that I have two options, one is to wind it as two six pole motors in parallel, pretty easy to do, just requires a little concentration. OR I can repeat my experiment from the original motor I used on the Blitz (towerpro 2915-05 motor) and only wind 6 of the 12 poles in an LRK winding pattern. But really, the stock wind seems to be a version of LRK, more like a LRK wind doubles up in series.

In an LRK wind, you wind one pole, clockwise, go 180° to the opposite pole & wind it counter clockwise. THen do that with the other two legs & you're pretty much done after a little soldering. With the stock wind, you wind one pole clockwise, wind it's neighbor counterclockwise, then go 180° to opposite side & wind those two poles the same way, repeat for other two legs. So, one leg of an LRK goes through two poles, clockwise & then counter clockwise, this wind does that twice, so it's gotta be an LRK series wind. I think..........[sm=71_71.gif][sm=72_72.gif][sm=75_75.gif][sm=49_49.gif][sm=49_49.gif][sm=49_49.gif]

Now to see if I can find sometime tomorrow to try this theory. Wifey's been hoarding my time since I got back since I spent so much time before hand trying to get ready for the trip. I've been being pretty good about it, I deserve a little bit of me time tomorrow. [sm=idea.gif]
Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Wow, a new thread again. Made the first page last time around, guees I will have to settle for the 2nd this time. SOunds like you guys had a blast at the fly in. Still got some catching up to do. Been reeally distracting as of late. I told you guys I am working on a new job. I think I am going to be getting an offer. Interview #4 is Monday at 9am.

Been flying almost everyday. Still a bit disappointed about having to cancel my trip to the big event. There is always next year..

Adam
Old 09-15-2007, 11:37 PM
ktaylor

Hey, fast reply worked,,, col.

Pat, with the Ultimate, what I did with the chipmunk was I used 8 small 1350 sized 3 cell packs paralleled & in series to get 6 cell 5400 mah. It was a little awkward to hook up, but it had the benefit of if one pack got damaged I was only replacing a 1350 pack & not a 5400 pack. Plus, I was also able to shift 3 of those packs forward to get the CG in the right locale.
With Big red I used a 2 cell 4100 TP and a 3 cell 4100 TP (both got toasted in the crash at Brads []) and I had to be careful not to have them to far forward or I would end up being nose heavy. The chipmunk called for a 50-60 sized gas engine, I was using a 480 KV motor rated for 50 amps continous, and that motor weighed in at about 12 ounces with the mount, a cheap tower .46 engine with muffler weighs in at 17 ounces, not including the mount, (OS .46 ABX weighs in at 14 ounces without muffler) So yeah, there's some weight to be made up. Oh, also, from what I remember, phil & mac would have to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I think that gasser's fully fueled are nose heavy to start & gradually get more to the recommended CG as they burn the fuel.

Now with electric planes, the CG never changes unless you've broke your battery mount. But on the same idea, a gasser weighs less when it is landing than it did at take off, where a electric plane weighs the same, unless you're mark or SRay & suffer from Lipo-suction. I was about to includemyself in that group, but I never had the battery fall all the way off the plane, just had the receiver pack turn into a dangley bit hanging from the bottom of the formosa2. Anyhow, don't know where I was going with that,,,, Night ya bunch of holigans.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:43 PM
ktaylor

one last thing, there have been A LOT of guys in the past asking what motor would or should I use to replace "X" sized glow engine. Well, I was just click a link, and found this chart from electrifly, it's based off of thier motors, but if you look up the spec on thier motor, (KV rating, AMp rating & physical dimensions,) you can use that to cross reference your preferred brand of motor. Hope this helps. Maybe it will ease some of my calculation load,,, Not that it bothers me any to answer questions or calculate it out.

http://www.electrifly.com/powersyste...brushless.html

Randy, I forgot something, if the 7x4 is taking up too many amps, try a 6.5x5 or a 6.5x6.5 APC, tower carries both sizes. although they are both sport /gasser props, but the prop you're using on your corsair is a masterairscrew gasser prop. Also, I'd just buy another 3 or 4 of the $5 motors and replace the one vibrating one that's on it now. At $5, they're disposable motors.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:51 PM
BendR

Hey, Hey!! New thread, COOL!! I was also hoping to get on page one this time around but I had a feeling that we would have a new thread already on page 5 or 10 by this morning. LOL!!

Hi Adam! Glad to hear you have been getting some air time in.

Lou, nice opener!

Work time for me again[:'(][:'(]
Old 09-16-2007, 12:07 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gary, I used to enjoy being able to tell the officers that a vehicle was down. 99% of the time they owned me, but when I deadlined a truck or humvee my word was law. The trick is to always be honest and to have the book on your side.

Tim
Old 09-16-2007, 01:33 AM
ktaylor

OK, just finished winding the motor, 1:30 am, gonna do the soldering in the morning & test it out. I have some cheapo winding wire, I used that in case I did this wrong, don't wanna waste the good stuff on an experiment in case it does not work. It looks right though.... & if it does work I'l run the motor like that till it burns up If it works I have 4 or 5 motors with 12 poles that are waiting to be rewound....
Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 AM
five-string

Hi all. I've been pretty busy since getting home from the fly-in. I did manage to reassemble my destroued Stryker and will p[ick up a new style motor mount this next trip through Florida to retry GG's Mega motor on it.

Other than that, here's what I've been doing....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78219.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	763714  
Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 AM
BendR

Still at work. Boring day today. They are rigging the flight controls so not much for me to do until they finish.

Ken, good luck with the motor. Hope everything works out.

Fern, sometimes it is kind of a power trip (for lack of a better term) to keep an acft down when you know they want it now and you know that the book is very clear about what has to be done. Unfortunately a LOT of times there is quite a bit of grey area and it comes down to knowing that something is f'ed up from experience of seeing it before. That's when tempers start to flare a bit. Sometimes you even start to second guess yourself. But the payoff comes when they tear it down and you find just what you suspected or worse and everyone kinda goes,,, OOOOoooohhhhhh....THAT's what you meant. HeHe.

Hi AJ!

*edit*
Hi 5String!
Hi Paul! You fellas weren't here a when I started the reply.

**edit** Nice hanger String!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Brewerpaul

A buddy and I went down to the NEAT Fair yesterday - http://www.neatfair.org/(he's a great scale modeler, but not into R/C). We were supposed to meet NYFLYER and a friend of his, but never made the connection unfortunately. The trip that should have taken us about 2 hr took closer to 3 thanks to a slow driver on a twisty, no passing road. This place is 'WAY out in the boonies of the Catskill Mountains-- simply gorgeous location, but NO cell phone signal at all, so Phil and I couldn't communicate. We probably passed each other in the crowd several times and never knew it. Phil-- let's arrange to just meet halfway between our homes sometime for a bit of flying.

It rained all the way down to the Catskills, but mostly cleared by the time we got there. The wind was quite strong though and I was worried that there wouldn't be much flying going on. Boy, was I ever wrong.

The fair was a real eyeopener. Hobby Lobby,RCUniverse, etc all had displays along with tons of other dealers. As a relative newbie, I didn't know half of what I was looking at but it sure was fun. I came close to buying a plug 'n fly Stryker, but since I haven't even built my Formosa yet I couldn't justify the buy.
In no particular order, some random memories.

Some of the planes there were astounding. I was hugely impressed with the scale planes-- people put so much obvious time and labor into creating realistic models that could crash at any time, ruining their efforts. I saw everything from Plantraco micros to a Hobby Lobby 12 foot wingspan plane (which dropped prize laden parachutes at one point).

One guy flew a beautiful Hanger 9 P-51. In addition to doing a really beautiful build, he had installed a sound system with amplifier and speakers to reproduce the sound of a real P-51! On low fast passes with that real engine sound (digitally sampled, I believe) it was hard to remember you were watching a model. Best part-- after he landed, the pilot taxied the plane back to the flight line. He killed the motor and as it spun down, the speakers emitted the final sounds of that big P-51 engine ka-chunking to a stop. The crowd went wild

There was a 5 year old kid (let me repeat that-- 5 years old!) doing a demo of helicopter aerobatics with a fully loaded T-Rex. Holy Mudflaps! The kid was astounding!! That thing darted around like a crazed dragonfly on crack. The coordination and motor skills of this little guy were beyond belief. I forget his name but for identification purposes he's a little oriental boy: watch for him at air shows.

Saw some EDF for the first time and loved them. Someday.

Overall, what impressed the hell out of me more than anything though was a hotliner glider. I had never even heard of this type of plane, but this thing totally blew me away. It went totally vertical to barely visible altitude in a matter of seconds, and precious few seconds at that. Then, it would dive down at breathtaking speeds that I was SURE would rip the wings off when (or if) the pilot pulled up. One spectator told me these things pull something like 8 G's and I easily believe it. There were no pylons set up, but the pilot did some razor sharp pylon turns: one moment the plane was flying South, next instant it was flying North. How are these things at slow sailing and soaring? Will they thermal well, in addition to flying lightning fast? If so I am DEFINITELY going to get one some day.

Around 3:00 the rain returned, so Jon and I headed for home. We had a great day, and I look forward to going again next year, maybe camping there with my wife in the beautiful riverside campground.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
five-string

Thanks, Blender.

I wish it was going to be a plane building workshop. But we are preparing to move next year so I will stay in the old shed in the back instead of setting up a new workshop. All those rafters would be a great place to hang some planes, though....

Here is the garage now...

Brewer, nice report. SOunds like a great show. Did you pick up any goodies?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34210.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	763724  
Old 09-16-2007, 09:15 AM
five-string

I'm gonna try a link to an uploaded pic on our website...

[link=http://www.badiusownersclub.com/images/Kensflyinhat.jpg]Ken's flying hat[/link]
Old 09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
ktaylor

Hee Hee,,, Funny mark, you and Randy must be really good at photo shop, I know that I would never really wear a hat like that, or pull a chunk of latex over my face
Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
ktaylor

OH, sombody was asking about the fly in, if we did the shuttle launches,, Gary maybe? Yep we did, I have one on video, I think it was Bam Bam flying the shuttle. Let me do some editing later & I'll post it to the new site.

Edit,, check this out, a turboprop powered Tucano http://media.putfile.com/RBs-Tucano-Test-Flight (for those not familiar, turboprop, jet engine drives a propeller through a gearbox)
Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 AM
export!

It's tricky to land that shuttle close to you. I think Phil landed it the farthest away and even popped the H-Stab off it. Then he allegedly landed it pretty close but nobody saw it so officially it never happened!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 AM
ktaylor

ORIGINAL: export!

OK, I think he likes the name just a little too much,,,,,
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 AM
export!

LOL - I was wondering if anyone noticed that.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM
CaptainRandy

Doug,

Any video would be great, low fly bys. We all took videos with the same type of cameras, and made everyone suffer though a lot of blue sky, just to catch a glimps of a plane, or dragonfly

Ken,

The 8 X 4 prop that I was using on the Ploat was the same motor as the SU. It doesn't vibrate on the Ploat, so I guess it's either the motor on the SU, or the mount can't take it. I guess the slightest vibration gets magnified with the larger prop. It would most likely kill the flight time anyways.

The 7 X 4 is probably the right choice for the motor/plane. I have to try it again on a calm day, to get a real feel for it.

I just have to be faster than Bob's new Jet
http://yardbirdrc.com/Airplanes.htm

What size bearing was that that fit in the Bp-21's ? I looked on BP site, but there was too many to pick from.

Mark,

That's a nice new HANGER, but why is there a car in there?

Paul,

Sounds like you really enjoyed the Neatfair. You seemed to be impressed with some high speed glider flying.

I have a DVD of some awesome slope soaring at 186mph (I think) No motors. If you would to see it, PM your addy, and I will send it out to you. You could forward it to someone else when your done. It's a great video by Radio Carbon Art
Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 AM
CaptainRandy

ORIGINAL: ktaylor

Hee Hee,,, Funny mark, you and Randy must be really good at photo shop, I know that I would never really wear a hat like that, or pull a chunk of latex over my face

Ken,

I thought latex was only supposed to be pulled over your "Other" HEAD or Brain
Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 AM
export!

Wow Pappy I really REALLY like that jet. Does he have it yet or is it just on order.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 AM
ktaylor

Couldn't find the shuttle drop video right away, but I did find this,, (my first video I've stored on the new site)

[link=http://www.badiusownersclub.com/video/Mako%20Needs%20a%20Makeover.wmv]Scott's Mako Jet[/link]

Turn the volume up to get all of the comentary,,,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.