Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

sorry AJ, it looks like that will be built next winter[:@]
Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
AJ1202

Oh I thought it was already built, OK I may not wait that long

Well the flight report begins now
It was a nice afternoon and I met Mark at our normal meeting place, the winds were blowing up to about 10 mph but it was not steady so we decided it was a good day to fly

first up was the poohdius and my new wild hawk, we had them both in the air within a min of setting up
the knats and no seeums were killing us so within 2 min we were landing and lighting a couple cigars to try to fend them off this helped as we then began flying for style points
we were both buzzing around,,, I was getting mine trimmed out a little better to match the wind and of coase the poohdius was as always flawless,

so after a good 10 min or more I have to make a pitstop for fuel, if memory serves me here so did Mark, anywho I am still changing out my batt and I hear the badius buzz off and right as I'm about to lock my batt hatch on I hear Mark say OH SHOOT but not realy more like uhh ohh
or OH Sh#t then

THUMP

this story will continue shortly, wait for it, it's worth the wait
Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Airbourne in Japan

does anyone want a sim and usb cable ? i keep getting them with hc planes. pm me if you're interested

AJ, what did Mark hit ??? oh the suspense
Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 PM
AJ1202

So when we first started flying I was having to get my little wild hawk trimmed out
I found it does have a stall point it's pretty slow but it's there
anyway the first time I went to land I let the wind catch it about 3 or 4 feet up and it stalled and nosed straight down and bounced about a foot back up

so I checked it out reset the wings and off it goes, now she's trimmed out perfect and Mark and I are flying around trying to fly in formation, did pretty good a couple times
then we started playing a sort of game of tag, he would come up and try to tag my tail then zip off,,,,,,,,,,,,, so I would retali I mean try to regain the formation

anyway we did this for a good while and I had to land for new batts,

now I remember better
Mark chose not to pit and stay out on the track

So while I'm swapping ouot batts Mark says uh ohh

wait for it
Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: gunfighterII

DJ,
Are you using a park flyer RX in your glow plane? I was curious as they list it for PF's. Is that a range issue or a size issue?

I would hope the RX would survive several crashes with a Stryker as it's all foam.

How did your buddy's RX fare that you knocked from the sky?

The AR6000 comes with the DX6 system. This system is ok to use with small nitro planes. It is not recommended with large gas planes as the gas motor may shield the reciever from getting a signal. I personally have has no range issues with the system and I have seen some people use it in 26-36cc gas planes..... If i decide to go bigger I will get the DX7 system
Old 04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
ktaylor

AJ, you're more of a tease than my girlfriend I had in high school.

Second day on the new job. Pretty interesting day. Spent 8 hours replacing a 300 HP motor on an air compressor. It was warranty work, which is different than normal service work. Normal service work your customer is the one paying for it so you bust your hump to make sure he's not paying for more of your time than you need to. Warranty work, Ingersoll Rand is paying for, so you take your time & really really check everything out & milk it a little. I'm finding that my experiments with rewinding motors is coming in handy. I was able to glance at the motor & tell the guy who was training me that it was actually two motors in tandem on the same shaft & that they were wired up in 3 parallels. He looked at me with a question of "how the hello do you know that when I haven't told you yet?" SO I explained about the outrunner motors that I use & how an outrunner uses the same principles as an industrial permanent magnet motor & that because the motor had three sets of wires coming into each phase leg that I could tell it was wired in 3 parallels. He told me to bring in one of my outrunner motors cause he has never seen one like that before. I think I'll bring in the motor that I am planning on using with my Zero.

So, wifey has to work tonight & she'll be taking a nap before work, so I'm thinking it will be time to work on the covering again.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
AJ1202

So before my brain can comprhend what I just heard Mark begins laughing
I look at him and he is laughing so hard he is having to lean over and put his hands on his knees
Now I'm curious so I ask what just happened

Mark is laughing so hard he can't speak so he just points out into the feild

I turn around and start looking for what he saw and all I see is a feild full of little yellow flowers
and then something catches my eye
it is this big yellow and blue flower growing right in the middle of the feild

Now I start laughing, and we both just fall out
well once we were able to control ourselves,,, we wiped the tears from our eyes so we could see and decided to go pick that big flower

this is a shot of the flower from where we stood and then as we got closer
Please note the tree in the second pic right corner background this will be important later in the story
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18855.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	925420   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43034.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	925421  
Old 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM
gunfighterII

Ken,
Sounds like things are going well with the new job. Are you working in the field or in the shop?

I've always worked in the field, I don't think I could take working in a factory or the same building all day long.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
CaptainRandy

Quick Question for the Brainiacs,

On these Corona Synthesized RX's.

You hold down the little button on the RX with your TX on, The RX locks on to that Freq. You are set to go. Now later on when you turn on your TX first, as always, then turn on your plane. The RX takes a couple of seconds to decide that it is still using the same freq as last time. Meanwhile, in those couple of seconds, your servos go crazy, as if you forgot to turn on your TX. Then once it locks on, the servos center and all is good. Question is, why doesn't the RX know what freq it was on last and just work as normal?

This erratic movement of the servos during those couple of seconds is not a good thing and could do damage if the travel is to far.
This is the exact reason for turning on your TX first.

Is this just a quirk of synthesized RX's?

AJ,

I also want that MultiPlex Gemini. It was on the Cover of Backyard Flyer, and I fell in love with it. It looks like a great model and the review was pretty good.

Someone on here said they had the E Flight Extra 260 3D 480ARF from Hobby Zone. was wondering if they have flown it yet.

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_e...3d_480_arf.htm
Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
rob737

hey guys, big day of flying planned for tomorrow:

1. test-fly t28 (New fuselage)
2. test fly super cub (new fuselage)
3. work with my recently completed eflite p-47.

brad......will dig into my tx manual this evening and see if i can find those fixes that you mentioned. please don't ask why i had to replace those fuselages! rob
Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM
AJ1202

So when we get to this flower it looks strangly like a plane and Mark says I think I'm going to pull that flower and keep it

So he pulls it up roots and all

I tell him to quit messing around and lets fly some more

Name:	Wu60122.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	925426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64588.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	925427  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
triboyeric

Check out this sweet plane:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661163

Will have to get it.

Erik
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
AJ1202

So he changes the prop on his poohdius and checks and finds it has a servo arm that fell off
Not sure why that happened
anyway we put it back on and he launches it and it is immediatly clear something is wrong

That sweet gentle plane became a wild nightmare [X(] it was all over the place and I was about to run for cover

Then it all of the sudden calmed down and flew off just as sweet as you please

All of the sudden in a instant it goes completely nuts again and

Well

notice the tree in the background

More to follow

Name:	Yw67312.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	925429  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

AJ the guys on the BBQ thread love the Gemini according to Tam. Of course that means it will fly inverted up here.

Tim
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 PM
ktaylor

AJ, and just who had to play tree monkey to go get the plane?

Mark, not sure if it would be a good idea to put that flower in a vase.

Mac, most of my work will be done in the field. Tomorrow I have to go to one of our bigger customers & go through their safety training class that they mandate for all outside contractors.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Stingray69

Capn,
My corona synth rx does that too. Good thing they're secret servos. THey seem to be fine after it locks in. Just do a servo travel check before take off to make sure the gears are good. I don't think they travel beyond end point during the start up so damage is unlikely in my opinion. My JR pcm synth rx doesn't do that.

AJ too funny. Your cliff hangers occur more often than network tv shows though.

Ken, Glad the new job has you re-energized.

Doug, I'll take a copy of the sim and cable if you still have it available. I'll pay the S&H.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:07 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

AJ, you guys had way too much fun for a tuesday. And I'm going to guess that the antenna was coming un-hooked, or a squappity battery connection.

Wind, she is a blowin'. I shall endeavor to finish off the e-starter. I have three batteries ready for the bug right now.

Tim
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
nyflyer56

AJ,
DO NOT PAINT THE FOAM BEFORE COVERING!!!!!! THE PAINT WILL BLISTER AND YOU WILL HAVE A DISASTER. PATCH ANY DINGS WITH SPACKLE, THEN COVER DIRECTLY ON THE FOAM. YOU CAN SPONGE IT DOWN THE NIGHT BEFORE, AND LET DRY, THEN WIPE WITH A TACK RAG AND COVER.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:35 PM
export!

When is the next installment of 'As the Poodius Turns" or doesn't turn.

Brought the SS way up today and got some pretty nice video. Got the angle of my wing pod figured out nicely.

Ray - I'll post a link once it uploads. Interested to hear how high you think it might have been.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Randy, i have the eflight extra but i don't think it will get built before next winter. i think someone else also has it, maybe Adam.

Sray, i'll post the sim and cd off to you probably tomorrow. don't worry about the shipping, it wont be much.

excellent, excellent day for flying. started at 7.30am and for once no wind, warm and sunny, WOW spring is REALLY HERE (who's still got snow, Scott ???) anyway 6 planes, 3 new, 2 second flight and one d/f hornet that wouldn't take off.

first off the quite big art tech corsair. lovely foamy model, scale 3 bladed prop, 170 watts for 13amps, so the tp 1320 3s 13c is ok, lucky because that's all that fits. anyway flew really nicely, just like the AT mustang, weedy power, little climb, beautiful scal model and good for relaxing flying and slow low passes. landed fine. this and the mustang will do for a year or two then i'll probably remotor them with 200 watts or so. got a couple of other corsairs to build, the tt, which is going to be 300 watt speedster with an arc 2 1/2 turn inrunner and the gp combat corsair which is going to be about 400 watts with and axi.

next the hyperion helios. this is their latest and best model, ment for pattern flying, which is new for me. power is a himax 2816-1220 200 watt outrunner and it is simply superb. Randy do get one. anyway rolls are very crisp and precise. loops fine, inverted required some up elevator. stall turns and immelmens fine and the colour scheme is excellent for orientation. landed fine and the undercarriage didn't rip off.

then the hyperion katana, also with a himax 200 watt outrunner. this has the same wing as the helios, but is a little more twitchy, maybe because of the differnt fus with less side profile. another excellent flight, but a few times the tp25 esc cut out. i was using my 1 year old hyperion 1800 3s 20c pack and i'm beginning to suspect it's loosing it's ooomph as this is the second plane this has happened with. maybe i'll replace the 2 packs i have. landed fine, easy today, although it was a typeical small plane, a bit difficult on the approach, glad there wasn't any wind.

then the second flight of the gp super sporster. a rock solid sporster, very strong design, it flies absolutely beautifully. the quannum motor isn't too fast but makes a lovely growl at WOT. i'll maybe remotor this with something much more powerful down the road. landing was a greaser.

as i said, the 250 watt hornet didn't take off today, although i have flown it about 5 times at the end of last year, another plane to remotor. i was interested to get it aloft today as i've put twin aileron servos and toned down the elevator throws, which should cure it of it's bad habits.

last off was the ms composits epp profile me109, but it didn't get a good launch, didn't climb and it nosed in, breaking off the nose and motor/mount, but it's already fixed.

anyway i've got the whole day free until 3.30pm and there's still no wind so i'm thinking to go flying again at 11am
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
five-string

Whoa, Ferny, good guess! Impressive!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
tam popo

KapitainR - that Gemini you love, well the guys that fly down under love them too, there's about 6/7 of them flying different motors etc. There's even a full picture build posted by Crawf (no longer comes on the site, pity!!) with all the info you need. If you fancy a trip around the block to stretch your legs drop in on the BBQ and Beers thread, pull up a chair, sink a tinny and chomp on a Kanga burger while they give you all the nitty gritty. Goes for everyone. Tell them Tam sent you.
The Bipe is deceptive they say, it can fly as slow as you want, but open her out and she'll almost hover, very, very predictable and solid feel. And its the best foam - Elapor. No-one there has a bad word for it.....

AGM tomorrow, report to do etc. Kids off school taing illegal substnces, drinking, smoking and whatever - the usual things that 8-y-olds get up to in the holidays!!!!![]
Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
export!

http://www.badiusownersclub.com/video/park-4-8-08.wmv
Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Ray, pm me your address please
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Mark, my head just got big. This is not a good thing as I'm about to go fly the bug in a bit of wind. BTW, on the bug the servos are set at something approaching 30*. I have made a conscious decision to not screw the servo arms on. If I crash hard enough to toss an arm, I figure I just saved a servo.

AJ, will the e-starter try to return to even flight when the ailerons are released? That rebuild should be done shortly.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.