Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Wheelnut, I got some canopy glue that might work for it. Is the elmo's running? I went to elmo's gel to fix that issue.

Tim
Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Well, it didn't really run, it just got loose when the motor got warm, I guess. I just noticed that after flying for about 8 to 10 minutes, the motor seemed to get a little loose.
Cool, I didn't know that Elmers had Gel glue. I will look for some in the local stores.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Glue? I use low-temp hot glue for stuff that doesn't heat up too much and foam-safe CA where hot glue isn't strong enough. I guess I'm kinda cheap in that sense...

I finally got some decent flight out of the Yak. After the past couple of 20, 30, 40 mph windspeed days 15 seemed like nothing. So I go out into the 45 degree (F) weather with the lil' airplane and bike down to my 'private' flying field. I got a nice launch, then realized I needed to make the plane turn or else it would run into something, so I fed in a bit of aileron, once again forgetting the reaction time and agility of this plane. Half a barrel roll later I remembered... I flew around for awhile, then suddenly it did something that I didn't tell it to. So I pull up and feed in a bit of throttle but nothing happens. The plane spasms down to the ground as I sprint towards it to get back in range or something. All the crash did was yank off my rudder and loosen my wings, but I lost the rudder pushrod. That's what improv was invented for, though She's all set to fly again and my tx batts have been charged fully. This plane is undoubtedly one of the most fun planes I have ever flow, and that DOES include my Synapse
Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Wheelnut

Hot glue, great! I have a glue gun and didn't even think of it. But if the motor gets hot will it melt the glue?

I need help quick.
What channels are for what on a plane receiver?
I know in a car/truck receiver channel 1 is the steering servo and channel 2 is the esc.
What are the channel references on a plane receiver??
Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Dad_Roman

1- Ailerons
2- Elevator
3- Throttle
4- Rudder
5- Flaps/Gear
6- Dual Aileron setup
Old 10-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks Dadio

Here is the current set up. I bougth this Slow stick used. It came with the stock motor, Jeti Jes012 esc, Hitec micro reciever and Hitec Laser 4 radio. It came with 2 sets of 7 cell batterys and one set of 6 cell batteries. The battery connectors on all the batteries were different. I put Deans on all of them. I charged the 7 cell battery. Turned on the radio, plugged in the battery and the esc got warm quick. I unplugged it and discovered that I had the battery connector soldered backwards. I switched it around. Now when I plug in the battery the motor starts running full throttle backwards. and it doesn't matter if the switch is on or off. I think I burned up the esc.
If this is the case,
can anyone suggest a cheap esc for it?
Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Wheelnut

I also just tried unplugging the motor and just trying the rudder and elevator. No Go. They are not working either. Maybe the reciever is the problem.
I also have the new DX5E radio with receiver. Is it safe to try it with this esc?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Dad_Roman

Im not the expert here by any means, but I did the same thing with a Hitec Feather and it fried the Rx. Nothing visable, but it killed it.

I dont know about your DX5, Im sure its ok, but some one with a lot more knowledge will have to come along to verify that[sm=bananahead.gif]

I use all Futaba systems.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Is this a brushed motor? If your throttle is at the top will the motorstop and then work upside down? Channel 3 may be reversed.. OK after a re read I think your rx is toast. You can try the dx5, but I think the connections are different for that radio. Check your manual.

Tim
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the rx also. I am going to try a reciever pack really quick first.
The reciever was the hitech micro 555 that went with the Hitec Laser 4 radio that came with the plane. I wanted to fly it stock before I made any changes.
I will let you know what happens with the receiver pack.
Yes it is a brushed motor. I haven't installed the brushless set-up that I have already bought yet. I have tried reversing channel 3.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Wheelnut

Ok, test done.
I conneted a receiver battery to the receiver. The rudder and elevator works fine. The problem now is first I know I need another esc and it is still possible that the 3rd channel on the rx is messed up. What do you guys think?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Wheelnut

YA HOOOO, I fixed it.
I was looking on Jeti's site and the instructions wasn't giving me a whole lot. So I did a search and found this.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=320
The guy that had the plane before me had the esc wired backwards. I did some more soldering and WaLa. It is now running like a champ. I can't wait to go fly this bird tomorrow.
SWEEEET!.
Lesson learned. When buying used stuff, check out how they have it set up very thoroughly. I am very lucky nothing got burned up.
I have to admit, it was one sweet deal. I got one fully assembled SS with Jeti esc, Hitec Laser 4 radio and Hitec Micro 555 receiver and several batteries, field charger and a whole other SS kit new in the box for $85.00. And when I was there he threw in a Lama V3 for FREE!! I have already sold the Lama for $50.00 so the plane two planes and gear was like $35.00 He said he was selling off some of his brothers stuff for him. This guy was in his early 50's.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Wheelnut

Got a one man band going here
Got everything packed up early this morning. It was a beautiful morning with no wind and blue skies. Headed to the local ball park. Strapped the wing on, went to turn on the radio and noticed that I had left it on all night and the battery was dead! DOW!!![:@] so we packed the plane back up, went home and charged the battery for like an hour at 1amp. Went back and by this time it had gotten windy. But not windy enough for me not to get two flights in first.
On the 3rd flight, I was unable to fight the wind and almost wound up in some trees. So I didn't press my luck and took her home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v7klTo_Xtc
Old 11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Dad_Roman

Lookin pretty tail heavy, take off was a little[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Wheelnut

It was my guess that it was the exreme head wind.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gerald, I think you might be a touch tail heavy as well. The rule is 4 1/8 and a touch nose heavy. Mine will climb when flying into a nose wind. Good choice on a first radio. The laser 4 has a trainer plug so you could fly sims with that radio and if you upgrade to a fancier radio you can teach your son with a buddy box cord. And your son is GOOD with the camera. Enjoy,

Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Wheelnut

Hi Tim,
Thanks, Actually the Laser 4 came with the SS as a RTF. I have the DX5e that is a much better radio, but I am saving the only receiver I have for it to put in the Exceed J3 Cub that I have on the way. I heard the radio that comes with the Exceed Cub sucks bad. I am thinking of selling the Laser 4 so I can buy another receiver for my DX5e.
My son said "that plane is easy to video" meaning it is slow and he could keep up with it. I thought that was funny. It does seem to be a good radio with great stability and range. I just don't need too many radios haning around. I will try moving the battery more forward next time. I am afraid it will be more of a challenge when I put the brushless motor in. It is alot smaller than the stock motor.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gerald, to change the cg on the SS all you have to do is move the wing. Move it back a little and you have moved the cg forward. As for having two radios, well now all you need is a cable. I have to say that I finally saw a dx5e in person today, and was not impressed. I'm using a Hi-tec optic 6 and though it is not 2.4, it runs rings around that radio. I have been flying computer radios for about a year and have no plans on going back.

Tim
Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gerald, I think you might be a touch tail heavy as well. The rule is 4 1/8 and a touch nose heavy. Mine will climb when flying into a nose wind. Good choice on a first radio. The laser 4 has a trainer plug so you could fly sims with that radio and if you upgrade to a fancier radio you can teach your son with a buddy box cord. And your son is GOOD with the camera. Enjoy,

Tim
4 1/8 from where? The tip of the prop shaft? The front of the aluminum fusulage? Where?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Leading edge of the wing..

Tim
Old 11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks, I figured that out after reading the SS Annotated build again

Does anyone know where to get a good radio neck lanyard? hopefully an adjustable one.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
calvino

um, i use an old lanyard that some cammera or something came with. I wouldn't really know other than going to the store and finding one, or being a man and sewing one up
Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Wheelnut

Men don't sew at least ones that have a wife like me But mine is in school preparing for her CPA right now so... I will keep looking
Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

hey wheelnut there pretty cheap on the bay but i picked up a hitec lanyard at me lhs for like $7 and its farly adjustable . i just hated that i had it on a jr radio but i am using hitec servos
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Dad_Roman

Here is the coolest lanyard out there by far and its the one I use...

http://www.redbullshop.com/redbull/p...g=en&cid=17488

Got mine at the Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.