Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM
five-string

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Wow. What can I say? I am at a loss here. What made you bunch of turds do this?

I really, really appreciate it. Sounds so trivial. Ken just called me a little while ago, laughing like a mad man. I was getting chills down my spine till I figured out it was him.

I need to know who all was involved in this whole plot. That way I know who I can't trust in the future.

This should be one fast little bugger. I will try setting it up with the Mega motor from the darkside stryker.

I have some reading to do on that other thread to get a sense of how to treat this aminal. My first non-foam
plane. Hmmm.

Gotta love the Badius Way! Paybacks are a beech. Thanks again, guys. Sniff, sniff.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Man. I must be in the outside loop. I have all but the radio hook up done on the ss. It still has an 1180 prop on it, but given the reponses will probably wear a 1047 in first flight. I want slow fight so if a 1060 is better let me know.

Pat, I have the Polk sessna still in the box, it's been here since before the funny, I think I'm just worried about it. I opened the box once and liked the wing, and closed it immediately.

The E-starter is not on the way[], they were out of stock. I have the sg Fokker I could build and paint, but I'm going to see if the es is available.

I tried to fly the mcessna tonight but the wind was funky.

Lou, Thank's in advance.

Here's the 18a esc I'm using. https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4313 It was cheaper when I bought a couple, and I have yet to figure out how to plug them into my pc. As with all hxt products there is no manual[&o].

I hope that answers any questions I have raised. Oh and here are pic's of my new ss setup.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25862.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	793853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26337.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	793854  
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Stingray69

Can't wait to see a slow fly bly Mark

Tim, SS looks good. Slide that wing to get it balanced where you had success with the brushed motor. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Sray, done. I cheated and found the alleged balance point and slid the wing back. That's how it is in the pics. However instead of leaning a bit forward it's balanced perfectly(knock on EPP) hopefully this will make for a stable flight. To go to where it was I would need to either move the wing an 1/8 inch or move the batteryforward a touch.

I have a spare micro-cesna 210 that I could rebuild to send about, or the factory one from Ken's lhs sounds good. I'm thinking about a send around. Let me know what you think.

Tim
Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
ktaylor

Mark, here's the list of accused conspirators.
AJ, Scott, Terry, & Ray & myself. Brad played decoy. (I know, you're also thinking, I do need some stryker parts though,,,,)
i don't think I mentioned Ray's name on the phone.

It was one of those planes that when I saw it, it just said, "Mark needs me, he needs to give me a home"

As I was talking it over with AJ o the phone about if you would like that plane & sent him a link to it, he said he wanted in on it, & since the price was just a little out of my range to just on a whim send it to you, that worked, & then I thought about it, that you've done a lot to help out other guys on here, I did some soliciting. Almost got arrested for prostitution, but hey, you have a really cool plane.

As to me laughing on the phone like a madman,, nope, that was my inner moron attempting speech. Sounds kinda crazy doesn'***? I don't let him talk much, just crash planes
Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 PM
five-string

I was just reading the dealer's page on this Velkom Twist. It says over 90mph with a 7x6 folder prop. hee hee hee.

Name:	Ay73331.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	793898  
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Good stuff Ken. The Funny is toast. I went to glue and reglue the parts back together, and other parts came apart. The wing is perfect, but the fuse is junk. I'll start pulling it apart soon. Does anyone want the wing? 2 Planes to tear down, both wings are fine the fuse is toast on both. I think I see a trend.

Tim
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

nice high pressure day today, wind was forcast for 5-10mph, but there was no wind at all. 8 planes, all flew, 2 bipes and a lot of luck with them. more later.

at the last moment just before setting off to the flying field, i had the urge to try the ultrafly furious again. the car was packed with 7 other planes, but remarkably it fitted on the passenger seat ontop of my flight box. a first. anyway, not sure if the wind would pick up, i decided to fly this first. first of all, i noticed that i had adjusted the elevator throw to max instead of min yesterday, so i changed that and it hardly had any throw at all. put the bat in and check everything, get it rolling and it nosed over breaking the stick mount. damm. the elevator was not able to hold the nose up.

so then i flew my atec ultimate. i had two unsuccessful take off attempts, but it didn't get damaged and the third time just lurched into the air. i think i need to change the motor on this. it's quite big and i put a 1550 kv 275 watt hacker, but the kv is too high on this and it's only got an apc 8x6 prop on it to keep the amps down. i need to put a 300 watt suppo or great planes motor in it and a 10-5 prop. also the bat is a tp 2070 3s 25c and while this can run the plane at WOT and just get warm, it doesn't last too long and the bp 40 esc just cuts out and that it. actually i've only found cc escs cut out at a higher voltage and reset quickly so you have some reserve power. i still think they are the best on the market, but i wont pay their prices. anyway also it rolls really slowly and loops it twists when over the top. i think i may get another ultimate, a bit smaller, but in any case i'm gonna get the eflight pitts when it comes out. i think this plane is ok for just flying around and it is very pretty, but i don't think i'm gonna wear it out. also coming in to land it was still quite high over halfway down the runway, so i went for a go around but there was no power left in the bat. i did a low lever u turn and miraculously got it landed in one piece. when i went to take the bat out (the largest that will fit), the wing stuts were both loose. i read a review of the gp ultimate this morning and watched the vid and that is smaller and looks way better.

so on with the ak models wooden p40. a boring not very scale plane, flies nicely on the arc 130 watt motor and gws gb, but i would give it to one of you guys, but for $50 shipping, you could buy it new. i'll keep it for the occasional fly as it's already rtf.

then the wattage wildcat. an excellent sports plane, i had a great time with it today as usual. it flies inverted really nicely and i had fun doing some immelmans with it, just a touch of elevator. Lou, you really must fly the mad dog !!

then the funjet. this is reasonably fast and with throttle control i get a good flight out of it with the tp 2200 4s 25 c and 600 watts on a mega 16 15 3. i think i need about 40-50 flight on it before i change motors to a medusa 28 56 2800 and run it on 5s for 900 watts. also want to measure the speed with my new widget when it gets here.

then the twinjet, also nicely fast on 4s and 900 watts, also need planet of flights before changin motors to het rc 3w25 and 6s / 1800 watts. excellent plane

then the formosa 3 turn, another fun plane and excellent flier. must fly my 200 watt old formosa next time.

then i decided i really wanted to try the furious out as there was still no wind. after messing about a bit, i got the motor mount secure on the remains of the stick mount. unfortunately i'd already used my two tp1320 3s 13c pack which are short and fit, so i had to use the long hyperion 20c 1200 3s, which was sticking out the bottom of the fus. it launched and was tail heavy, but unlike yesterday it was totally out of control. i couldn't turn it, i guess the hyperion pack had made the tail-heavyness worse, and it got quite far away from me over the jungle and i thought i was gonna loose it. luckily it kept up high and i didn't know what the hell it was doing, but by amazing luck i got it back and low and landed it, ripping off the gear mount. this was an amazing save and the second time it should have crashed or something. i don't know if it's a lucky plane or just waiting for the next time, but as soon as i got home i stuck 1oz on lead on the nose. i want to fly it close and low next time and i like all my planes i make to be good fliers of course.

finished up with the battered old gws zero. i don't fly this much but it's fun and always goes straight up on launch and plops down on landing, but in between, as long as the motor doesn't cut out, it's quite a laugh to fly.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM
export!

Mark I don't know how long it's been there but I just read your sig to my wife and she was literally bent over laughing.

OK - I haven't crashed anything is quite a long time. I'm obviously not pushing the boundaries. I'm not sure where I need to head. Maybe get into 4S powerplants? I don't really want to spend a ton of money on new batteries and ESCs though.

I chopped down a 7x6 GWS prop to 5.5x6 to try out in the Flea tomorrow. I still haven't put the 3S into it so that could be exciting (coupled with the smaller prop).

I've flown the Mig a bunch of times now. It's fairly tame with the current setup. I really need a Watt Meter to be able to quantify power though. Currently it has this [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4494]motor[/link] and this [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=4501]fan[/link]

I might try this [link=http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4487]motor[/link] with a higher kv rating and a much higher amp rating. I would be extremely concerned about specifying (and receiving) the listed "custom" shaft size however. I can't imagine this would go smoothly with UH. The fan is spec'd at 4000kv which is kind of weird isn't it? I would have thought it would have an rpm limit. It does list 14.8v as an input so I think I would be fine surpassing 4000kv at 11.1v

Geez, on some level we're all turning into Doug. This can't be good.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Scott, IT IS GOOD HAHAHAHAHa
Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM
five-string

Scott, thanks, buddy. I'm gonna like this plane.

I just changed my sig yesterday. Again.

Oh, and if you have the need to ditch something, try the Mugi. High rates with +80% expo should do it.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM
ktaylor

Mark, you could get the symbols of hate, & decorate the twist with them & have it look like this plane sort of,, me-163

Oh & this was just funny,,,

10 Halloween things that sound dirty, but aren't

9. I'd like to get a little something in the sack tonight.

8. Just get on your hands and knees and bob your head.

7. She's got a couple of nice pumpkins on her porch

6. If you just lick it, it'll last longer.

5. Let me see your big sack!

4. Can I eat your nuts?

3. Have your mom check it before you put it in your mouth.

2. You scared me stiff!

AND THE NUMBER ONE THING THAT SOUNDS DIRTY BUT ISN'T.....

1. He's got Candy spread out on the living room floor!

I told my wife the one about, you need to have your mom check it out before putting it in your mouth... She actually found that funny.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM
ktaylor

Mark, one other thing I noticed,, as similar as they are, I don't think it's the same plane. The Velkom twist has a 42 inch span, the twist you have has a 33 inch span. Very very similar though.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
nyflyer56

Thought you guys might like this one.....

Name:	Zx70255.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	793917  
Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 PM
ktaylor

Phil,, I wonder what their in flight service is like.......
Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
Airbourne in Japan

forcast for tomorrow: Tomorrow: Rain showers in the morning becoming a steady light rain in the afternoon. High 58F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%. not good hahaha[:@]
Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 AM
AJ1202

OK Mark lets get that thing built, you have 2 weeks to get it done and start bringing it with you.

Well wifey goes back to work starting today, she has been off for 2 weeks now, sortof vacation
I see some building and repairing time in my near future

Ah Formosa here I come

Doug nice report

Fern good luck with the SS, too bad about the funny but I heard that plane is a real handfull for some reason. I hope you find a ES I realy feel that would be a perfect plane for you.
try here http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/110.htm
Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 AM
five-string

AJ, thanks, bud.

I should have it ready by then. I am going to order some folders from UH but I can fly a regular prop with a saver till they arrive. I think I have everything else I need.

I'll try to get some actual pictures up today. Too cool.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:20 AM
BendR

WOW! I just read the forecast for the weekend and they are actually calling for afternoon sunny skies[X(]. I think if it doesn't rain saturday, it will be the first day without rain in 21 or 22 days. Hope like heck to get some real flying in, not just standing in the pouring rain.

Cool news. The guy I am helping "get his wings" was messing with his heli this morning and I happened to pop in his office to see what was up. We started talking about helis and tinkering with his some trying to get it flight worthy again.

Anyway, I told him that I have been wanting a heli for some time now but never have bought one and didn't want to spend the money on a good setup right now because of the unknown factor about going home soon. He said that for helping him and all the trouble, he was going to GIVE me the honey bee king that he had because it was too much for him to mess with.[8D] can we say woo, hoo??

He never flew it but it did have a bit of a spill in his office one day when he didn't unplug the battery first and tuned his radio off. It freaked out and spun up and then went over on it's side. I don't know what all got damaged but he is bringing it in tomorrow for me to go over.

Now, this is dangerous because I know it will be a "gateway" heli. Soon I will be drooling over t-rex 450SE hop-up parts and such. Or even better, a 600 YIKES!! ahhhh crap........
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Bender;

I feel like I found a kindred spirit.

My Gateway was the H-L Revo (for which I still catch crap from the poor unfortunates that followed my lead and bought one ). I LOVE helis - not that good (was better, but since I stopped flying gasser helis (due to noise) my skills have gone rusty.

When I win the lottery (or the wife gets a JOB [X(] - yeah, right... like that is ever gonna happen) then I have my eye on this heli:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/hearfbrelrar.html

Supposed to be a great flyer. Would like a Trex 600, but cannot justify $600 - even if I HAD the money

Hope you get the "bug" as well - then we can comiserate on the cost of parts...

Lou: Glad to see you are back - nice to hear some of the old stories... stay well, and get flying. Remember, the aerodynamics are the same for a 5oz plane as they are for an 8 lb plane. It is only differant in your head...and the fact that the wallet hurts more when they become one with the ground

Mark: Get bluilding, we want to see a fly bly

Doug: Dude, I am ssssssooooooo jelous, so many planes, and the TIME to fly them. Keep up the flight reports, at least I can fly vicariously through you

Mike: HI. What's going on over there? Back to your normal field? Whatcha flying (and how come we don't have anymore video [>:])

All: No flying for me - a week of rain, followed by COLD. I have built another Duplex Delta, but need to hook up controls and paint it (this one I want to look nice. Took extra care building it, and want it to last for a while). Also working on a 48" wingspan Piper Pawnee (cropduster) - all FFF. Got all the pieces cut out over the last couple of days, hope to start assembly tonight.

Later

Terry
Old 10-31-2007, 11:42 AM
ktaylor

Terry, I didn't know that you used to fly gasser heli's. Hmm,,, I think that clears something up,, anyone remember Brad's description of how Terry takes off with the Slow stick? It's not a heli terry, its a slow stick. Repeat it with me this next time. It's not a heli , its a slow stick
Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Loubud

Kate,
Yep. Terry likes Heli's. Sucked GG and I into buying a Revo/Showgun/Dolphin et all. Simple to crash. Expensive to repair. I had a Showgun and immediately sent it back. The thing sucked.
Bought a T-Rex instead. Didn't really matter as I can't fly that either.[] At least the T-Rex is cheap to repair and easy to get parts.

Blender,
So. A freebie Heli. HAHAHAHAHAHA. And it is a "gateway" one too. Soon, you'll want a better one. Than a larger one. Personally, I'd make the next one a T-Rex. 1st up would be the 450. Then the 600. The T-Rex wins competitions on a regular basis. I've seen results of some where the Rex is 1st and commonly 2 or 3 others in the top 5 while taking the Top slot. Impressive stats.

The Revo/Dolphin/Showgun requires more cashola to make a T-Rex copy than buying a T-Rex that there isn't any point in getting a different heli. Just buy the real thing and call it a day.

Make it to the next Fly In and you can fly mine. Adam has a Rex also. Difference is mine is one of the first ones out and his is a bit newer with a boatload of bling. The guys at my LHS fly Rex's and gassers. Oh, they have the 600 on display. A huge beauty.

Ok. Multiplex news.
Assuming Omei does ship these things back to me, one is for AJ. Turning that plane into Fat Albert was a true building accomplishment. Getting it to fly was fab, even with all the adjustments it needed and the thrashing it took.

So this leaves just one available. Dunno what to do with it as you Mudflaps were of no help.

Off to the garage. A couple of things to do on the Twin Jet and I break out the Thunderbird.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 PM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Ken;

I was just trying to overcome the ground effect

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Besides, what's the use of a BP-09 with a 12X8 prop if I can't USE it [X(]

My goal is to be able to hover it, and have unlimited vertical!

Terry

Edit: Still can't spell.

ORIGINAL: ktaylor

Terry, I didn't know that you used to fly gasser heli's. Hmm,,, I think that clears something up,, anyone remember Brad's description of how Terry takes off with the Slow stick? It's not a heli terry, its a slow stick. Repeat it with me this next time. It's not a heli , its a slow stick
Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 PM
BendR

HeeHee, I'm like a kid looking all over the net for stuff and thrashing about in the hobby room seeing what I have to fix my buddy's heli. I just got off the phone with him and says that he has it all packed up and ready to being to work tomorrow. I remember this feeling. It's just like when I started to get back into planes and all the excitememnt that went with it.

Lou, yeah I have been drooling over the t-rex for some time. Only real bummer is my radio is strictly airplane so I will have to get a radio when I get into them more (and I know I will). I have had my eye on the 9 super C for a while and I am waiting for the price drop to get one. Then, I will have one radio for all needs. YAY!

One problem though, I have no idea how to fly a RC heli. DOH[:@]! I could probably manage to get a real one up and flying, landing might not be so pretty but I have flown a real one for a bit when I was in the army. Front seat in a cobra and left seat in a huey. Cool stuff!! I just tried to fly the sim a bit and the radio setup alone took an hour and then it still didn't work right. [>:] I'll keep pluggin away at it till I get it right.

Terry, this is all your fault you know. Nice heli there. It's amazing how expensive they are but at least, for the most part, the parts are cheap to fix em back up. The t-rex is pricey but it has a huge following.

Hoping like heck to be home for the next fly in. It's a priority for me. I talked to the guy at Ft. Campbell yesterday and he said to get him a resume so I will send it off tomorrow and then the ball is in their court. Things might happen fast after that or maybe not at all. I'm starting to get a little nervous about it actually.[&:]
Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
BendR

Terry, why did you stop flying glow because of noise? Did you not like it or complaints or?? Personally, I love the sound and the smell of glow planes (and heli's). I love my electrics to but the sounds and smells of burning fuel just adds a whole 'nuther dimension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.