Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
gunfighterII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Ken,

Your absolutely right about former smokers, we are the worst about it, I don't know what it is, but when you kick the habit the benefits are so profound you just want to beat it into everyone's head. I'd sure like to have a smoke with my margarita I'm drinking. But I know I can't.[:@]
Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

I am too pretty for there to be any comp
Old 11-02-2007, 06:17 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hey Guys, the ss is repropped to a 9x4.7, the smallest I have on hand.

Derf, and the rest of you heli guys, here's a link to an oddball for you. http://www.google.com/products?sourc...lit+x-ufo&um=1

Tim
Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 PM
CaptainRandy

ORIGINAL: gunfighterII

Ken,

Your absolutely right about former smokers, we are the worst about it, I don't know what it is, but when you kick the habit the benefits are so profound you just want to beat it into everyone's head. I'd sure like to have a smoke with my margarita I'm drinking. But I know I can't.[:@]

Mac, I totally agree. I also quit after smoking for some 24 years. Been off them now for 18. I don't really care if others smoke, as long as they don't invade my space.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
five-string

Doug, I also preferred smoking some weed to any other form of relaxation. Someday again I would like to twist up a big ol' fatty. After retirement maybe.

dj, hi, good lookin'.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:41 PM
five-string

Badius².

I have just discovered that I can fly helis on my fms with my Fut EXH radio. But I don't know if I have the channels assigned correctly.

I have pitch on ch 3 since the sim has a constant rpm on the motor that doesn't seem to be an option to change it. If someone could give me the assignments for ch 1-4 for a heli to be sure I am doing this right.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Mark, i stopped when i moved to Japan, as it's not available here. took me a while to accept it, along with no real planes and gliders, but i've got over it. when i go to the UK to see my Mum, i've been stopping off in Holland on the way, partly because i like the country and partly to have a puff, but as i'm not used to it now it just sends me to sleep hahaha. anyway i do hope i can stop drinking and smoking next !![X(]
Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 PM
five-string

By the way, I got Clearview sim loaded on my desktop. It ran but my processor was running at 100% the whole time. So I ditched it. I can't imagine my 1700xp AMD processor is too slow.....

So, I'm sitting here with the radio in one hand waiting for somebody to give me the heli assignments.....yawn......
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM
nyflyer56

Lou,
You are thinking of an Autogyro, an ornithopter is a machine that flaps it's wings like a bird to get airborne.

I also had some real good sim time with the Trex last night. Going from upright to inverted, and stayed right with it. The hardest thing has been the transition from forward flight back into a hover, but I seem to be getting that down as well. I will have to find some time to get my Blade CP back in action. I think it needs a new motor. Since I now have a small lipo pack for it, I will do the required gearing change as well.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Sorry Mark, I look at my yard and realize just how perfect it would be for a heli, and stop myself from thinking about it, helis I mean. They have a lot of that other stuff around here, but it holds no appeal for me. The potential problems are to great, it's pricey now. Sierra anyone?

I just came back from another successful ss flight, and now I'm really curious about pattern/3d planes. My ss will just about turn on it's axis, will loop anytime, I got about 3' of vertical before it looked like it might want to stall. I got really nervous about how low I was flying and looped out of it. I haven't tried to invert it yet, but got a short, 20', length of knife edge turn. I realized that I might be able to fly it straight at that angle, but since the lower part of the wing was maybe 6' off the ground I figured that straightening out and climbing was a better plan.

PG

I have found out that I like flying fairly low, or I'm still traumatized from my earlier suicide flight, but although I took the plane up to the 80-100' altitude a couple of times, I generally kept it in the 15-60' range. I did fly it out to 600' or so at 60+'. It maybe the park I'm flying in that is encouraging me to stay low. Poor sightlines. It is a bit of a rush to fly back at a slope at yourself.

PG

I have great confidence in the planes ability to manuever, and am wondering if perhaps the smaller servos I had in the plane before were causing some of my problems. I noted earlier that I have "park" servos on the plane now. No matter how fast or slow I'm going the input happens now. Has anyone else tried these servos? They are the GWS Park Servo.

PG

This is my other question for now. Is it because my other planes are semi-scale that I don't get anywhere near the performance? Or is the ss just that good a plane.

Tim
Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

BB, the plane with the 9x4.7 prop came down with a warm battery and a cold motor. Approximately a twelve minute flight. I landed it due to a percieved lack of power. I want to try a 3s130015c Viserlo battery tomorrow.

Tim
Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Thunderstones

Pappy, I think your cockpit view is mondo cool! Way to go!

About smoking - my Father-in-law died of a combination of Emphyzema and congestive heart failure. Bad combination. I think that not being able to breathe is about as scary as it gets (I almost drowned once). All this was a good argument against cigarettes.

My problem is that I don't know where to stand on the government's making it so difficult to smoke. I have no sympathy for the tobacco industry, but our government doesn't know how to mind it's own business. Any time now, I expect them to pass a law that tells us which hand to hold it with when you pee.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 PM
CaptainRandy

Tim,

It sounds like it won't be too long before you are ready to try one of these small foamy jets. They will fly right out of your hands, and land at you feet, just like a slow stick. The first one I tried was the SU-27XXL, and I can tell you, I was still a novice at that time. It was a huge turning point in my ability to fly. They will fly very very slow, like walking speed, and then if you throttle up, they will fly at a pretty good clip.

Mine came with a brushed motor, and I was shocked at how well it performed with it. I did upgrade to a brushless, and it of course made a huge difference.

They are also extremely predictable. I wish I had bought one, when I was first learning to fly the Badius.

You can fly them at a park for sure.

Thanks Dan
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Randy, thanks I think. I have an e-starter on the way, for ailleron( I promise to learn to spell that word, but I might attach some adjectives) training. And a pico tigermoth with bl rigs for both. But a little jet is way interesting, HMM Christmas is coming, maybe I should figure out the kit and ask my folks for the kit and/or contributions towards it. Since I'm an adult I generally buy what I want, which makes picking a christmas present a chore.

Tim

I'm open to suggestions as to which is the one to buy guys.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
export!

Doug - you are scaring me.... give up drinking beer??? Get a grip... enjoy beer in moderation forever. I could see scaling back to the weekends....

I just tapped my pumkin spiced ale this evening. My wife thinks it's too bitter which is a very good indicator that I nailed it dead on. It sure is yummy. At 6% I have to be careful how many pints but maybe I'll lose my math skills.

I did have a few "brownies" when in Amsterdam last fall. I honestly think that I'll stick to the beer.

Scott
Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Airbourne in Japan

just downloaded the castle creations usb programming link software and programmed my 2 1/2 year old phoenix 80. i'm gonna use this with my 40" demon wing which will be running 50amps on 6s and i was delighted to find a quality piece of software that seems to work well, unlike the crap hexatronics and het rc ones. still got to test the cutoff point when i've built the wing, but being cc it will probably work fine. i set the cutoff to 19.5v, which may be a bit high, but i'll see how it works in the air. waiting for my phoenix 125 to turn up sometime today, which will be going in my new 6s protech vortex. that will be pulling 90 amps for 1500 watts, so i'll be programming that also when it gets here.

i'm thinking by monday i should be feeling ok for flying or building, got the day fairly free and the weather forcast currently just says cloudy. tuesday is a definate[:@]

Tim, maybe by next summer if you get plenty of time on the ss, you should consider a stryker or formosa with a brushed motor and low rates. i found they are an excellent second or third plane. my stryker was after training on the badius and aerobird for a year and i did crash it several times at first, but it's easily repaired. the formosa is a superb flying plane also, i've never crashed my first one, just one bum launch, but the elevator is quite sensitive. both are quite cheap to put together.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:17 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Doug, I assume your being facetious. Yes, I had problems with the ss. most were electronics failures. I changed the servos and the esc and suddenly the plane flies. I'm working on the ho-maid tonight, should be good for front yard flying.

Tim
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Tim, i'm not being facetious at all, just my opinion. the change from rudder / elevator planes is a bit of a jump, that's all, and the formosa and stryker are both excellent planes. you need to keep the speed down to give yourself time to react to the more responsive planes. and also you've only really just begun flying bigger planes, gotta walk before you run
Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Doug, I get that the change from rudder/ele planes is big. That is why I bought an aileron trainer. As for bigger planes, that's not likely. Better flyability yes, a bit more speed, probably. A bigger bird overall, doubtful.

Tim
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Airbourne in Japan

hi Gary, what's happening this weekend, got rain again ?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:50 AM
BendR

Hi Doug! Believe it or not, the sun is shining and it looks relatively clear. The winds are supposed to be calm, although at the field they never are. As long as they are manageable, I'll be happy. I got everything ready so, after coffee, I'm goin' flyin!! Well, at least my planes are. LOL!!

I even have a cameraman today so hope to get some good shots. My brother -in-law is here for the weekend so I figured I would put him to work.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:05 AM
five-string

Fern, I vote for the Stryker. One of the easiest to fly elevon jets I've come across yet. Fly it slow, fly it fast, fly it upside down. Pretty resilient, too.

Still holding the tx waiting for channel assignments.......[]
Old 11-03-2007, 06:29 AM
CaptainRandy

Good Morning Mark & Mac,

I can't wait till Tim takes the plunges to a Striker or other light weight foamy Jet with elevons. There are many plans out there that you can print out, buy some foam, and have a plane for cheap that will fly great.

We will be able to see his big grin from coast to coast
Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 AM
gunfighterII

Capt,
It's only a matter of time before Tim takes the big plunge and goes BIG.

He's already talking about better servo's

Delta wings are fun, you just can't stall them. The speed thing will take some getting adjusted to.[X(]
Old 11-03-2007, 07:10 AM
export!

Randy - did you fly that Mig yet? Wondering if I missed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.