Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

Kapitain, mon amie!!! That ird is a beauty. And you are looking fine and healthy too!!! D'ya know how I know that? "Cos wifey said "I wished you looked that fit at His age!!!!!" Is there something I don't know about you old sod.......
Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
CaptainRandy

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Kapitain, mon amie!!! That ird is a beauty. And you are looking fine and healthy too!!! D'ya know how I know that? "Cos wifey said "I wished you looked that fit at His age!!!!!" Is there something I don't know about you old sod.......
Tam,

Give the wifey a BIG HUG for me You should see that Tomcat in the air[X(] Then I sweep those wings back for that arrowhead look[X(] Makes me knees quiver

Doug,

Thanks. Sure wish you could be there also. Only one new guy this year, Mac. I break in the new battery that you sent me. Thanks again
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
rob737
My Feedback: (3)

cap'n....sweeet tomcat! do the wings work in flight? would love to see that.

tim, great idea to check the part numbers on the crystals (it's a 72mhz system.). i'll have to do some digging but i should be able to check that tomorrow. thanks for the lead on the book, too. being a boyington fan i have read quite a few books on the flying tigers (need a p40 model!) but i don't recall any published by the smithsonian. will try to dig that one up at our local library. thanks!

only got one quick flight in today, with my mustang, as it was way too windy. did a pretty nice landing, til it piled up onto it's nose, as usual!. spinner went flying, but was recoverd with out a scratch (thankfully, but i do have a spare). i just can't keep this bird off it's nose. on a whim i tried to taxi it, but that was impossible too even with full up elevator. back to working on my technique!

this sapac edf looks promising (doug.....do i remember that you were happy with this brand of planes?).

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...4b0d3c43e811b5

hoping for less wind and more flying tomorrow! rob
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

I actually snuck a flight in this evening with the Katana MD. Nice evening made even nicer with a relaxing flight.

Cal,

This hobby will make you spend money no doubt. As long as you have a way to work for it and don;t spend beyond your means, I think it is a great hobby to work hard and sink some dough into. Nice purchase.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Randy, that is a sweet Bird, who is the 103? I know it's not the black lions(no one would hang that squadron on their plane), But I do not recognize the patch.

Sorry Lion Crew, but planes crashed a lot, more than some of mine.

Cal, if you want it I will send you my e-starter with servos. I

I got 2 good flights out of it, one tonight, then it crashed again. I don't know what happened on the second flight. The first was way nose heavy and I landed it with 39% up ele as the base. The second flight was after rebalancing. I am wondering if I was shot down. The plane just stopped responding. I managed to sort of land id in the cemetary. Out of sight. I just killed the motor and pulled up. So the foam is fine. My patience is at an end however.

So, anyone want an E-starter?

More later. I think I might have made it to intermediate-novice.

Tim
Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 PM
gramps45

tam popo, you're right about being repairable. a friend crashed his one day into maaany pieces 2hrs and some hot glue later it was back in the air flying. i have the stock motor,1300 2s lipo,and enlarge rudder. i like you idea of a broom stick mount will do that when i upgrade. i also looove me ez. i only have about 1 hr solo flying, but if the winds are light i can actually sit down in a chair and fell comfortable flying my ez. cause i'm novice i try to not let it too far or to high. did you re-enforce your wings for the brushless up grade?

thanks
gramps

NOT IF BUT WHEN I CRASH IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT!!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
calvino

Cal,

This hobby will make you spend money no doubt. As long as you have a way to work for it and don;t spend beyond your means, I think it is a great hobby to work hard and sink some dough into. Nice purchase.
yep, i outa know from cars (haha), at least i save more than i spend, hobby city is like an "rc candy shop" the prices are awesome, henice, i go bannanas on there, yep, now comes the hard part, no flying for minimum of 10 days (sooo hard), well, at least ill have time to pratice on FMS... maybe ill make up some light plane that can fly on my 2s lipo,
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 AM
CaptainRandy

Rob,

Yes they do, and it's looks soooooo coooool

Tim,

Not sure about the number, but the vertical stab decal is a commemorative one for the retirement of the Tomcat, not a squadron.

OK,

I am off to Glacier Field, see you guys in a week
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM
export!

Glacier Field Update - Day 2

Ken, Lou+Elaine, Sray and Phil all made it in this afternoon.

AJ seems to have inherited Brad's bad luck from last year and is spending a lot of time at the repair table. Phil and I

(scott) had a midair collision!! Phil was flying Brad's new Millenium SS and I had my SS in the air with the camera running.

Unfortunately Brad's plane didn't show up in the frame but Phil made a great save to bring the SS down. Brad's plane came

out with a few wounds and mine was OK

Score 1 for team Axis.

Ken sliced up the sky with his Spitfire. Doggy had a blast chasing Ray's Glow-Stick at dusk. Lou cooked burgers and dogs

and we had a great dinner.

It's now almost 11:30 and Ken, Phil and I are in the repair tent creating a swamp-boat to rescue planes from the pond.

-

Sneezing pink foam dust out of my nose. I brought a big chunk of 2" pink foam for the boat, sanding & shaping. Funny,even

working on this stuff outside the sanding dust still seems to migrate straight to my nose. Scott got some really great

pictures of my spitfire in flight. I now have camera envy. DH. Phil being phil has built these little fan boats before (with

slimer engines of course) so he's leading the way on the boat. I managed to forget my tent poles & will be sleeping on the

ground. Not really, Phil had an extra tent with him & being the nice guy he is I get to use it. Brad supplied me with an air

matteress since I forgot mine. Um, scott brought out a secret weapon, an Avro Dart he'd made. Flies really well. I finally

got a chance to fly Bam Bam. I can't believe how great that plane flies. Ok, back to the swamp boat. Oh, details on the boat,

about 2 foot long, 11 inches wide, using a 2410-09 motor with 4 cell and a 3 blade 7x8 prop. If that doesn't cut it I'll try

a different prop and a 5 cell battery. Blisters (ken)

-

DAY 3

GG-

Ray, killed my Me-262, with a really whimpy toss. I've become fluent in water takeoff with the SSX on floats and lights, boy

night landing on water is tuff.But so far so good. Last night we dined on roast beef and all the fixings. Then In PUTZ's

memory we started blowing things up. Ken was able to utilize his water rescue vehicle to save one of of the kamakaze planes.
and Phils campsite was able to withstand several errant attacks.

Hi, this is Phil.
All the above is quite true, but it ws not just my Camp that took attack, a bottle rocket powered balsa glider, rocketed it's

way into the open back door of my cube van before exploding. Good thing I had just removed my gas can to fill the generator.

No harm done. I always call my truck the "Intrepid", because like it's namesake, it is an aircraft carrier. Now it has

another thing in common with the Intrepid, surviving a kamikaze attack with an explosion going off inside.

Mac got here yesterday, and I have had a great time flying his big Extra, and Edge 540. these are bigger than any of my

stuff and fly great. hmmmm someday.....

My 10x20 "shop" building has been invaded by everyone, taking the overflow from Brads version. Elaine is busy building her

new plane with just a bit of advice /help from AJ and I. She is very meticulous, following directions, and keeping things

very neat. No quick and dirty ducktape assembly for her. I may have to get her doing some stick building, she would be good.

enough from me, time for coffee and breakfast.

-

ken again. Flew the blitz this morning, lipo suction took out a 4400 5 cell pack, it fell about 200 feet, might be able to make a 4 cell out of it. Doug, your V-diamd flies really well. I managed to hit one of the poles but it survived to be rebuilt. OK we're on our way into the store. out.

Scott - Mac coaxed me into flying his 14lb 6+ foot wingspan Edge. Wow. Amazing plane. I'm not sure it was what I would call "enjoyable" because my knees were rubber and I could barely breathe but I did an OK job and Mac brought her home safe and sound. Afterwards I was really glad I did it.

Ken finished the rescue swamp boat and last night completed a successful retrieval mission of a downed Guillows that (of course) was rocket propelled into the middle of the pond. Very funny. I'm sitting in the back of the Intrepid typing this now. We're in town on a gas run for the generator. Luckily there is an awesome open wireless connection just up in town.

AJ completed his Millenium SS build and it flys great (after a loose control horn issue bit him on the maiden). Mine needs about another 1/2 hour of work.

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS; the infallible Ray crashed his Jug!! He must have over 500 flights on it and now AJ is the proud owner of 3 shopping bags of foam. I bet he can get it flying again.

Phil is excited to have a fellow slimer at camp. He has the huge rolling entourage set up again and is well equipped as ever.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 AM
export!

pix
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91510.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1004963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57243.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1004964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18635.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1004965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq45170.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1004966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23183.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1004967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul79674.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1004968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lo13424.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1004969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy84154.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1004970  

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Great report guys............. Sounds like a blast is being had by all. I will have to schedule a trip to the Badius flyin for next summer, A 5 day flyin with all the fixins and fellowship. And nuttin but RC talk and bragging to boot. Makes a guy wanna be there swapping lies and telling o jeebus stories.

Hey Tim, not sure what is going on with your Estarter but I have a few of them (2 flyable at the moment) and absolutely love mine. If someone doesn't take you up on the plank, maybe you could send it to me and let me try to dial it in for you. I have mine set up with a BL-2217 /9 and a APC 8x6 Electric prop and it is ballistic. Also a stock version that is the roomies that I have broken in half a number of times and it still flies like it wants to be set free. Both are stable and predictable and no up elevator is needed to compensate for CG issues. I only run CSRC 8C 900mAh 3S lipos in them and actually had to add clay on the tail of the brushed one to get it to balance. If you are willing maybe i can give it the ole EVIL EYE and scare it into preforming for ya. Also glad to hear of your heli exploits in the "other" forum.
Am building a GWS F4U Corsair at the moment and was planning on covering it but have decided to just paint this one and cover the "replacement" one when I get it. Build is going ok, but am having issues with the aileron linkages for setting up a single aileron servo. Not the best design but will tackle that hurdle tonite and then install servos and electronics. I have a Hacker E3-37 made for Eflite set up in a 6:1 Eflite gearbox. Hopefully it will be a missile with wings.
Just finished repairing and setting up a Yak 55 that a buddy demolished last weekend at my local flying spot. He pulled the electrinics and motor out and gave em the plane to do with as i please. Will be my first "3D" bird so am anxious to maiden it tonite after work. Weather is supposed to be in the 90's today, too bad one can't play hookey and get some outlaw flights in.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
calvino

ok, who's who in the pics helps, dang, looks like fun, anyone have a "puffed lipo war" yet
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Airbourne in Japan

looking good for flying this morning, 7am, warm and no wind. may be my only session this week as we have an old friend coming today who is maybe staying with his new pregnant wife.

sound like fun at the fly-in, i'm waiting to hear the gas report from Ken's ass-burning chilli hahaha
Old 08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
five-string

1st pic is GG on the left and AJ at the table

4th pic is, I believe, AJ launching,

5th is from Left to Right, AJ, Lou and GG (Brad)

7th is Ken (ktaylor) and Lou

You all SUX at the fly-in. [:-][:-][:-]

I hate you all. [sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

(EXCELLENT PHOTOS!! MORE! MORE!!!!)
Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: five-string

1st pic is GG on the left and AJ at the table

4th pic is, I believe, AJ launching,

5th is from Left to Right, AJ, Lou and GG (Brad)

7th is Ken (ktaylor) and Lou

You all SUX at the fly-in. [:-][:-][:-]

I hate you all. [sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
lol, thanks five string, what about you, nice, looks like fun, to bad i can't make it otu (no drivers liscence, huge trip.....)
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Arrow, thanks for the offer. I may stick it in the closet for a while and see If I want to re build it. I got it to fly for the first time since it's horrific maiden last night. It was quite nose heave so I landed it, rebalanced it and tried again. This time it just did not want to fly. Then it just stopped responding, nosed over. All I could do was pull back and cut the motor because it went behind a house. The motor, it's 3rd, was a compacted wad. The foam seems pretty ok though. This would be the planes 7th attempt and there was only one controlled flight and landing. I am wondering if I'm being shot down as well. The beaver had a what the heck launch yesterday as well.

I think it is odd that I recognized most of those pic's. Cal if you see one with a nekkid guy that would be pappy.

Tim
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks for the pics guys, keep em coming.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 PM
afineman

Hey All

Regardless of what you think of me, this is really COOL http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/08/the-company-cla.html

Brent
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Airbourne in Japan

today's flight report. extremely hot, almost too hot to be out of air conditioning, at first no wind, finishing off with a refreshing breeze. 6 planes, 5 flew, 1 died. first off the unique epp 3d profile. usual fun, but this plane doesn't hover or knife edge, but fun anyway.

next off the demise of the kyosho hien. i managed to fly this two or three times, but the last couple of times it just noses over when power is applied. i suppose i could have stuck some lead on the tail, but i put extra large wheels on it and it didn't make a difference. so, not liking to hand launch wooden planes, i hand launched it and it turned left and nosed into the ground smaking up the nose forward of the wing pretty well. so that's the end of my second nice looking but troublesome kyosho warbird, no more kyosho planes for me.

then the art tech edge. i like this plane and it's very responsive and fun on 150 watts, but doesn't knife edge like the a.t. yak, which is better. still fun and no longer available from hc for the very reasonable $100 price.

then the 1.2m hyperion edge. i'm still not comfortable with this, the gws formosa 2 is a much more relaxing plane to fly. i've got 10 more 1.2m aerobats and warbirds to build next winter, plus 20 .46 electric conversions as well, but i'm feeling like i should stick to 1m planes which, apart from in wind, are generally much more fun for me. maybe the 1.2m warbirds will be ok, but i've only got a few of those.

then the hyperion 900mm extra. another fun scale aerobat from hyperion, nice flier, still getting used to it, but it does twist on tops of loops. need lots more practice with these 3 planes.

finished off with a predictable warbird flight with the gws p40. like the gws fw190, another fun flier. have to fly the eflight sea fury next time.

Ken, glad you got the v dyamond to fly. everyone else has, it must be just me. is it fast ??

OH NO A SNEAK ATTACK DURING THE FLY IN[:'(][:'(][:'(][:@]
Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, here's yesterdays flight report. I started out with the bug. everything was fine until I needed to land. The fog was stacked, so that I had little depth perception, so I brought the plane in and cleared the utility pole. Except I was on the other side of the pole. I hit the thing straight on at 50% power. I killed the power and then noted that the bug had bounced off and was settling in for a landing. I added some power and flew the bug another hundred yards and landed about 30' away, then poweed back t me.

Next up was the Beaver, It acted crazy. I was never able to get the wings level. I ended up dropping it and tearing off the strut support. That's fixed.

The the E-Starter. I walked way back to give it plenty of runway. To my suprise it took right off[X(]. I got it to 100+' and then tried to trim it out. I ended up adding 40% up ele to get it tofly OK. I landed, rejiggered the weight, and sent it back up. That was a train wreck. I could not maintain control and ended up crashing into an old grave.

I had 3 good flights with the bug tonight.

Tim
Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
weeweeboi

hi guys i havent been able to check all this typing youve done but i finally got internet and will be checking back in quite often now. ITS GOOD TO BE BACK!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
calvino

ooh, i think the e-starter is trying to tell you something, its not so good because it crashed into the grave (jk), man, sounds very finikey to fly... how do you guys live if you have like 2 planes and no batteries for one (you just make shure to have a ton of stuff ill bet), im considering re-building this old j3 cub plane that i made up for a CAD class project, BUT hot glue and depron + crappy building = no good plane + bad packs..... ya, long story, i got the stick instead for learning to fly, hum, maybe ill make a PFB instead, wonder if home depot or lowes has bluecor fanfold foam, what do they call it by so im not driving the poor person insane with the wrong wording[>:]
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Airbourne in Japan

welcome back Fahim, most of the others are at the badius boys' fly in in PA. how's it going ???

Tim, when are you going to fly the p40 ?? good flight report as usual, with the venerable bug the winner as usual
Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
export!

pix - text to follow in a bit (hopefully)

There was an "issue" involving me and Mac's 60 size U-Can-Do. Someone else will have to tell the story.

Name:	Da83601.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1005591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97175.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1005592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58831.jpg
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1005593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29279.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1005594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93218.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1005595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Si70924.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1005596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su37008.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1005597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp51916.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1005598  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Db55398.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1005599   Click image for larger version

Name:	My16472.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1005600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp69380.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1005601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw91070.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1005602  
Old 08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
export!

We suffered through a Monsoon in the middle of the night last night with _very_ high winds. There was lots of activity in the camp throughout the night. No major losses but lots of excitement.

Brad took out Ray in combat. Brad had a profile P-40 and he absolutely demolished Ray's GWS zero - came down in many pieces.

One more pic.

Name:	Lj23861.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1005604  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.