Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Slow Stick 300 - Best Battery from Tower?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick 300 - Best Battery from Tower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 AM
HelloScott

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow Stick 300 - Best Battery from Tower?

I've got coupons from a fun fly to use up. So I'm ordering a GWS Slow Stick from Tower Hobbies. I also plan on buying the batteries for my slow stick from Tower Hobbies. I'm a gas guy getting a slow stick for sunday mornings at home (like this one!). I want to keep it simple and order the GWS or Electrifly batteries.

From what I've read in the forums, the "recommended" pack is too wimpy.

Suggestions?

Scott
Old 09-30-2007, 04:38 PM
3DSAVAGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow Stick 300 - Best Battery from Tower?

get a lipo, like a 500-720 mAh
Old 11-17-2007, 02:28 PM
HelloScott

Then I have to get a lipo charger! No thanks. Want to stay with NiMH. I've got that charger.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:43 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Get the biggest Nimh you can charge. And put near the cg(4.25 back) weight is not an issue for the stick.

Tim
Old 11-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Time Pilot

Depending on what you're expecting for flight characteristics, it might not matter what battery you put on it. I'd stay away from GWS batteries in general though. The small ones recommended for the plane do not put out enough amps to sufficiently power the plane.

I had heard many reports and tests of this, even GWS's own admission of this, and in spite of the warnings, eventually purchased a pack because I got a good deal on it. It was as others reported. I never used it because it performed so poorly when I was trying to cycle it.

If you go for a 7C (8.4V) 650 mAh 2/3 AAA, they'll give you about 10+ minutes of flight with the 300 motor. That's what I used for a year and a half on my SS. If you have the 400 motor, you'll want a 9.6V battery, but expect less flight time with a battery of that size. Short squat batteries generally provide more amps than longer skinny ones of the same capacity.

If you want power, you're going to have to consider lipos and brushless motors. If you shop around, it doesn't cost much more, really. A brushless motor will pay itself back in burned out brushed motors and the various failures you'll experience with them. ESC's are about the same, and if you get the budget packs from www.commonsenserc.com, you won't pay anymore than a traditional batteries for the same power output.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 AM
HelloScott

That's exactly the information I was hoping to get guys. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I normally head to my local club on weekends and fly with 2-3 planes...glow fueled. But, we live in the middle or corn fields and I really want something to just fly and relax with when I get home from work or early in the morning. That's my goal with the Slow Stick.

Thanks again!

Scott
Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
mad web tv scientist

HelloScott, please let us know how you like that 650 mAh 8.4v battery from Tower Hobbies. I have been very disappointed with the performance of every variety of 650 mAh battery that I have ordered from Tower Hobbies. My last three (3) crashes resulted from trying to maneuver with my very carefully treated 650 mAh batteries that simply did not have the needed power.

The day before my smashing experiences I was lulled into a false sense of security by flying "flawlessly" over a very small space that I had never been able to fly over before, right next to my house. I was so excited about my great accomplishment that on the next fateful day I insisted that my wife watch my spectacular flying performance. I thought while I am at it I might as well test my newest batteries that had been cycled enough to perform well enough to put up a good show (behold, I thought with myself . . . . . .). It was a little windier than yesterday but wind is no problem for a budding talent like myself, right? Nothing could possibly go wrong . . . go wrong . . . go wrong . . . etc..

So, at the moment my very best 600s are the stock batteries for my "EXCEED-RC ACCIPITER BADIUS" airplanes. I really would like to be able to buy my 650s from Tower Hobbies if I can find some that will do the job. I'm really hooked on the performance capabilities of my modified light ABs under all (except as noted above) flying conditions.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

P.S. It might be useful to note that the lightened and carbon fiber reinforced AB didn't even break a prop in the above mentioned crashes!