Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Profile Mustang from Hobby Lobby

Old 03-25-2003, 01:41 AM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Profile Mustang from Hobby Lobby

I purchased a profile P-51 Mustang from Hobby Lobby and I would like to let you guys know that this is one heck of an airplane. The instructions were so so as expected coming from Germany but it went together with no problems. I used KR 600 cells ten per pack. All servos are hitec hs-55. I used the recomended motor and gearbox with a 9x6 APC prop. Today was the first time flying it. It pulled out of my hand at full throttle! It was actually trimmed almost perfect. Just a little down trim and I felt it out with the low rates....then I went to town! I hit the high rates and let loose. Knife edges, barrel rolls, inverted and everything else you could think of. Not enough power to for unlimited vertical and it will not hang on the prop for very long but for showing off in the park......it is a real blast. Most of you guys have all of the electronics for this plane just laying around the shop as I did. I suggest you order one of these planes! You will not regret it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65488_16849.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	40120  
Old 03-25-2003, 01:54 AM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After installing the servos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65492_16849.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	40121  
Old 03-25-2003, 04:34 AM
latch66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is the recommended motor, esc, etc?
Old 03-25-2003, 01:37 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a regular speed 400 with a jeti gear box...I think that is 4 to 1 ratio but not sure. Go to the Hobby lobby site and check it out. It has photos of it at the field and in flight. The site also has a movie of it in action. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mustang.htm This model is constructed very well, I also have a MP brushless motor on order for the profile Mustang. 3-D will should be achieved when that is mounted.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless_mpjet.htm

Old 03-25-2003, 11:19 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OOPS...... I for got the ESC.... it is just a simple Great Planes 20 amp Esc. Cheap and nothing fancy. My reciever is a Hitec 555. No glitches at all. What I really like is when the plane goes by full throttle.......it sounds like a muffled Rolls Royce Merlin.......or it may be just my imagination! Who cares......it is a blast to fly!
Old 03-26-2003, 12:00 AM
latch66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 AM
RcRobert

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a really kewl plane! It came to my attention on the Hobby-Lobby site just a few days ago and wondered how it would fly. Nice to know its a great plane (even with a cheaper 400 motor, though 50 dollars isn't that much for a brushless one).
Old 04-04-2003, 10:26 PM
imsofaman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Finally....the brushless motors I ordered from Hobby Lobby are on their way!!!! They have been back ordered for over a month now. The company who actually makes the motor did not anticipate such a large number of orders and have been very busy trying to catch up. They shipped it today priority mail so it should be here Monday. I hope! I will try some 3-D moves with that motor mounted on the P-51 profile.

The other motor is going on my Electrjet. That little foam jet is going to rip! If any of you guys have an Electrajet and you put a hot motor on it, make sure you sand down the lip on the trailing edges of the wings and fuselage. This lip provides extra lift, when traveling fast with a hotter motor, it wants to climb and climb. If you have a computer radio, you could mix the elevator with throttle to compensate but you would not truly fix the problem....the lip has to go.

Search this Thread