Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sky Scooter battery issue

Old 03-25-2003, 02:29 AM
kaycee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sky Scooter battery issue

I recently purchased a Sky Scooter Pro (not ProII) at my LHS at a great price. After 3 outings with the plane I am very pleased with one exeption. Even after many cyclings, the stock 7-cell 600mah pack that came with the plane just doesn't last long enough for my liking. I went back to my LHS and asked for suggestions on getting a longer run time out of each flight. It was recommended that I 'up size' to a 8-cell 1100mha pack. I purchased one, took it home and made the necessary mods to the battery slot in the foam to accomodate the extra cell. Even so I was able to keep the CG in the same location as stock.

I charged the new battery and headed off to the field. I hit the throttle and the Scooter left my hand with authority--much more than with the stock pack. I throttled back a bit to approximately 3/4 throttle. Everything seemed fine until about 3 minutes into the flight--then the prop came off. I was able to dead-stick the Scooter for a decent landing without damage. Upon examination, I noticed that the hot glue that surrounds and holds the motor in the airframe had melted. Also the motor shaft was so hot and that I couldn't touch it. I came to the conclusion that the prop hub melted causing the prop to be lost in flight. I packed up and headed home contemplating what had just happened. Once home, and after everything cooled down I retested the system for just a minute or so using the stock 600mah pack to make sure the ESC was still working properly. Everything seems to be fine.

Is there a better pack for me to use to achieve longer run time or is the 600 mah the most I can use? A little more power would be nice but all I really am looking for is a longer run time.

Thanks-
Kaycee
Old 03-25-2003, 03:52 AM
toysejr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use Radio Shack 1600mah battery in my Scooter but I also cut cooling holes for the motor. I also have installed a Servo City gear box instead of the factory one. I too have pitched a prop off but I account that for the set screw not being tight enough. I use clear silicone to hold the gearbox to the front of the plane.
I am getting about 10+ minutes of flying time depending on throttle usage, loops and barrel rolls I do....

Toyse Jr
Old 03-25-2003, 05:39 AM
taildraggerdave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cooling Vents!!!!

Hello,
Definitely cut 2 cooling slots to vent the rear of the motor. Mine had a scoop installed on one side. I used part of a plastic spoon. Worked very well. Also, I use foam safe CA to remount the motor when the factory hot glue melts. The Radio Shack 8 cell 1600mah battery is the way to go. I had a prop where the setscrew was stripped from the factory and would not stay on. I threw it away and put a new one on-problem solved. If you get really aggressive with the plane I would suggest a very small diameter carbon fiber rod for a wing spar. One half of my wing ripped off from about 200 feet in the air...not much left after that.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:20 AM
darenm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=23%2D342

Yup the Radio Shack is the best Batt for the SS. Get you a Servo City Gearbox, 9 x 6 Prop & this battery for great preformance and flight time!

http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P..._upgrades.html

Search this Thread