Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

retrieval system anyone?

Old 03-25-2003, 03:59 AM
aeropenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default retrieval system anyone?

Helo! I've had many trees find my planes and hug them, and I'd like to be prepaired next time. What do you guys use? What about off water?
Thanx!
-aeroP
Old 03-25-2003, 01:13 PM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe a fishing rod with a fairly large sinker? I've seen the boat guys use that rig to retreive their boats that are dead in the water. They fling it so the line drapes over the boat and then they just reel it in. You could also toss it up in the tree over the limb and shake it.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:25 PM
WeLaserCut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Getting it back

If the trees are not real tall, an extendable golf ball retriever is a great tool. It extends about 15-20 feet.
The best method is to not fly in to the tree in the first place!!! Perhaps a more open area would be a good idea.
A chainsaw works great, but may not always allow you to fly there again.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:29 PM
aeropenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mmmm - chainsaw - mmmmmm. No! I still wouldn't trust my fishing rod to get back a completely set up plane. Best thing I can think of is to rent a paddle boat and go get it myself (and hope that the motor boat guys going 60mph won't run over it ( all in one feeling).
Any other ideas? Oh yeah, my flying space is plenty big... Sometimes it's a gust of wind or I lose sight of it for a second...
-aeroP
Old 03-25-2003, 10:01 PM
BykrDan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've done this (the tree thing, that is) many, many times, and consider myself somewhat an expert here. Ahem...

In my garage, I have both a fiberglass extendable tree trimmer and an aluminum paint roller extension. Before flying, I remove the cutting head from the trimmer, put the handle from that, and the aluminum handle in the back of my pickup truck. I also put in a stepladder -

On my very worst day of flying (worst day = tallest tree), I duct-taped the fully-extended aluminum paint roller handle to the fully-extended fiberglass tree-trimmer handle (overlap about twenty inches and lash HARD for strength), taped a small wood stick to the end of that (about four feet long) and at the end of that, taped a paper-towel tube, with the end cut into kind of a tulip-shape (imagine a crown, with four long prongs). I parked the pickup under the tree, put the step-ladder in the bed, climbed that, then hoisted the whole thing up to catch the nose of the plane in the cardboard tube. I was able to lift it out of the tree and softly (mostly) lower the plane to the ground. It must have been sixty feet in the air...

I have never had to leave a plane in a tree (and there's been plenty!)

Dan.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:21 AM
aeropenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've never left a plane in a tree either. Good technique, that's what I use - tie all you got together and see what you can do. the thing is, though, that you were prepared. Sounds like you had no problem at all. Worst flying day? I wouldn't say that - you did what you had to, and everything came back in perfect condition. It's worse when you crash a plane into a tree with $300 worth of equipment, and the plane is beyond repair, so that SUCKS, and, you have to get it because there's good stuff in there that survived - a hacker, some other stuff. AND, it all doesn't survive. Now, that, would be a day day at the flying field!
I've never had that happen to me though. Whew!
-aeroP

Search this Thread