Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

PZ Cub Venom Upgrade Issue - Shaft too long?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

PZ Cub Venom Upgrade Issue - Shaft too long?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
tofuti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PZ Cub Venom Upgrade Issue - Shaft too long?

Hi all, posted this same thing over at RC Groups, looking for more input (I am doing the work tonight, want to know my options!). I did some searching on the large PZ Cub thread but couldnt find a similar question....

I got my Venoms in the mail today. Noticed that the shaft is a little over 1/8 inch longer than the stock motor. I did some checking, looks like this WILL impinge on the firewall when the gearbox gets mounted. Seems like I have 3 options (presented in order of preference), what would you all do:

a) Just don't push the motor all the way into the gearbox, leaving it sticking out a corresponding amount. Pretty tight fit, couple drops of CA should keep it in there well.

b) Push it all the way in but drill a corresponding hole in the firewall for it to fit into (there is a hole already in the firewall, would just have to cut away some foam, maybe they thought of this ahead of time?).

c) After I put the pinion on, snip off the offending extra shaft length with wire-cutters or something.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PZ Cub Venom Upgrade Issue - Shaft too long?

ORIGINAL: tofuti

Hi all, posted this same thing over at RC Groups, looking for more input (I am doing the work tonight, want to know my options!). I did some searching on the large PZ Cub thread but couldnt find a similar question....

I got my Venoms in the mail today. Noticed that the shaft is a little over 1/8 inch longer than the stock motor. I did some checking, looks like this WILL impinge on the firewall when the gearbox gets mounted. Seems like I have 3 options (presented in order of preference), what would you all do:

a) Just don't push the motor all the way into the gearbox, leaving it sticking out a corresponding amount. Pretty tight fit, couple drops of CA should keep it in there well.

b) Push it all the way in but drill a corresponding hole in the firewall for it to fit into (there is a hole already in the firewall, would just have to cut away some foam, maybe they thought of this ahead of time?).

c) After I put the pinion on, snip off the offending extra shaft length with wire-cutters or something.

Thanks!
ink

I cut the extra shaft length on mine. I did it before mounting the pinion, but I thiink it afterward might be better. I used a Dremel tool with a cutting disk to make it a clean cut. Wire cutters would be tough -- that shaft is hard to cut. This would be much better than choices a) and b) above.