Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow Stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:45 PM
NoMercy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick

Me and a friend are looking into getting into electrics. We also know someone who owns a Slow Stick(First Version). Both of us want to get our own Slow Stick, preferably the first version. We were wondering if we could input on where a good place online is to buy 1 and what would we need liek packs etc, I seen a naro pack and a pico pack whats the difference etc. I own a Laser 6 and my friend has nothing. So we would need almost everything like chargers and such.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:08 AM
SelfMadePlanes

Default PICO STIK TIME!

A good site is horizonhobby.com! Flight packs? No need to worrie bout those, as long as you have 2 micro servos (5-7 g's) and a micro receiver (5-9 g's). Get a JP 600 mah 7.2v NiCd battery, or 250 mah. With those it flies well! EXCEPT, airtronics/jr dont go with futaba nor hitec and vice versa(the receivers). An GWS 2 amp ESC should be well!
Chargers, as long as they get charged with the right current it doesent matter!
Here are some acessories links;

Battery;http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=EFL5000

Charger;http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...?prod=EFLC2000

Radio;http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...prod=HRC156721
OR http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hitec.htm and look up the

Hitec laser4
4 Channel radio for EXTREME
lightweight micro helicopters,
indoor RC and slowflyers.

ESC; http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed_control.htm

Thats bout it! Correct me if im wrong!
Cheers and keep on flying!
Old 03-26-2003, 12:16 AM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

I don't know what is meant by "First Version". I purchased my Slow Stick recently and have been happy with the way it flies. It's no aerobat, but it will do what I purchased it for. I bought it to do aerial photo's. I'm waiting on funds for a digital camera for it.

The difference between the pico and the naro servos is here:
http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...ub%20micro.htm

The Laser 6 will work fine with the Slow Stick.

Whatever reciever you got with the Laser 6 will also work, but the lighter the better. The best 3 from Hitec would be the "electron", the "555" and the "super slim". There are many other reciever choices (FMA and Berg both being very good), but be aware of the inexpensive single conversion recievers (ex: GWS). They are prone to glitches with more than one airplane in the air at a time.

For ESC's I recommend the Castle Creations Pixie 20. It cost about the same as most other models, is lighter than most, and is programmable for other applications in the future. Also, Castle Creations have top notch components with great customer support.

For battery chargers, there are many options. In the inexpensive group (about $50) there are the GWS charger and the Hobbico Quick Field Charger. These are just 2 of many which are available. There are many more out there as I am sure you will get other recommendations.

For battery packs for your Slow Stick, I recommend either a 7 cell 600AE Nicd or an 8 cell Nimh equivilant. I am flying mine with a 7 cell 600AE Nicd and am getting about 10 min. flights with throttle management.

The slow stick is not too pricey as airplanes go. It is around $35 at most hobby shops. I haven't seen it for less anywhere.

Good Luck. And welcome to RC airplanes!

Old 03-26-2003, 02:15 AM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

At this point all I have that I can use for the electric plane I would be buying is. A Laser 6 Radio and a regular receiver. How much money would I be looking at. PRetty sure the 2 micro servos I have are Hs-22 and I also have a speed control that will work. SO that means I need a batery pack and would I need a smaller reciever or no. What else would I need. ALso what about my friend he owns nothing could you give me and him both an estimate.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:15 AM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

I guess what we first have to determine is: Are we talking about the "Pico Stick" or the "Slow Stick".

The "Pico Stick" is smaller and is mainly an indoor flyer or at best, a "no wind" flyer. The Pico Stick has a wooden stick for a fusalage.

The "Slow Stick" is larger and will fly well outdoors. It also has more power and will fly with larger radio gear. The Slow Stick has a square aluminum tube for a fusalage.

Both the Pico Stick and the Slow Stick cost about the same.

If you are getting the Pico Stick, you will have to get a new reciever.

If you are getting the Slow Stick, you can make do with the reciever you have.

My 2 cents is to buy the Slow Stick. It flies great, can handle the wind better, and has more power. So I will supply pricing from that point of view.

Slow Stick: about $35
Hitec Focus 3 Transmitter w/555 Reciever and 2 HS-55 Servos: about $105
ESC: Castle Creations Pixie 20: about $40
Battery Pack: 7 cell 600AE: about $20 each
Charger: GWS Micro Processor Quick Charger: about $50
Charge Leads, Battery Connectors, Misc. Supplies: about $15

Total: about $265 for a complete new system.

This will get your friend flying with good equipment which can be used for other airplanes in the future.

You'll need:
Slow Stick: about $35
Battery Pack: 7 cell 600AE: about $20 each
Charger: GWS Micro Processor Quick Charger: about $50
Misc.: about $15

Total: about $120 for what you will need to get your Slow Stick airborne.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:33 AM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

sweetness. I (my dad) already have a charger. So Let me confirm. It will fly ok if I use my laser 6 its supreme 8 channel receiver and hs-22 servos. I am also going to buy the battery pack but at this moment I also own a 7 cell 1100 Nickel Metal battery. Can I use this as a second battery? I also have a Eflite 10 amp ESC. My other question is I also have hs-422 servos will that work too. I also got a charger....

So will both of these set ups work

Set up #1

Laser 6
hs-22 servos
supreme 8 channel receiver
Eflite 10 amp ESC
7 cell 600AE Nicd

Set up #2
Laser 6
hs-422 servos
Supreme 8 channel receiver
Eflite 10 amp ESC
7 cell 1100 Nickel Metal (This is what it says on the battery)
Old 03-26-2003, 06:34 AM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

Sorry I forgot to mention I will be using the first version Slow Stick. I saw from looking aroudn theres the stick one (I want) and the same name but like version f that isnt a stick but looks similar
Old 03-26-2003, 01:43 PM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

The Slow Stick I am talking about is kit number GWS1040 and comes with an EPS300C power system.

The Slow Stick comes with a possiblility of three power systems. The 10 amp ESC should be fine for the EPS100C and the EPS300C, but will not be enough for the EPS400C. For the EPS400C you will need at least a 20 amp ESC. I believe that most Slow Sticks are sold with the EPS300C power system.

I would suggest upgrading your ESC to a 20 amp version even on the EPS300C power system. But, with only a 7 cell Nicd pack, the 10 amp ESC should be ok. If you wanted to step up to an 8 cell Nicd pack with the EPS300C system, I would definitely upgrade the ESC first.

I'm not familiar with the HS22 servo. Are you sure they are not HS55's?

The HS55's will work fine with the Slow Stick. You can use the Supreme Reciever when you use the HS55's.

The HS422's are going to be on the heavy side. Since you are going to use the standard Supreme reciever, I would recommend you don't use the HS422's and replace them with either HS81's or HS55's.

You can try the 7 cell Nimh battery, but you will most likely be dissappointed in the performance of the plane.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default Slow Stick

As a newbie to electric flight, you shouldn't be trying to cobble things together to save money. You're only going to disappointed when it doesn't work.

The best course of action is to buy the Slow Stick, the recommended flight pack, and a charger. Then, you can see what goes into flying a plane like this, and can make a better informed decision on future planes.

You keep ignoring the question: Are you talking about the PICO Stick or the SLOW Stick? There is no such thing as a "first version Slow Stick." The Pico Stick is the little plane with the wooden stick fuselage.

The larger Slow Stick makes a much better plane for a newbie pilot. You can use a standard size receiver and standard servos on this plane, but be warned that it won't fly quite as well, and will sustain more damage when you crash it, because of the extra weight. I still recommend getting the correct GWS battery for it, since I don't know what that "7-cell 1100 NIMH" battery you have is.

There are two good, inexpensive chargers to choose from. One is the Hitec CG340, and the other is the GWS MC2002. You will need to make up a charge lead to connect the airplane's battery to the charger.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:22 PM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

Originally posted by mkirsch
You keep ignoring the question: Are you talking about the PICO Stick or the SLOW Stick? There is no such thing as a "first version Slow Stick." The Pico Stick is the little plane with the wooden stick fuselage.
This must be answered. The airplanes are different from each other.

The Pico Stick is at best an "indoor/no wind at all" flyer. If you try to fly a Pico Stick outside in anything but the slightest breeze you will have your hands full. And most likely will rekit the plane.
None of the equipment you have listed will work for the Pico Stick except the Transmitter. You will need new servos, and a reciever. The ESC might work if it doesn't weigh too much. But, weight is much more critical on the Pico Stick.

The Slow Stick is a much better option. It is much more stable in the wind. You can also use more of the current equipment that you have already.

You can get a GWS makes a "flight pack" for each of these planes.

The flight pack will contain 2 servos, an ESC, a Battery, and a reciever. You will still need to purchase a crystal for the reciever seperately.

I'm not a fan of the reciever in the flight pack, but it will get you airborne.

The flight packs cost about $75 - $90 according to which one you get.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:39 PM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

I am getting the slow stick... SLOW STICK... slow stick...

I also have a charger.

so I am gonna get the Slow Stick and then 2 battery packs and thats about it considering I got micro servos I got a receiver(though it is not small) and a charger
Old 03-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Mr Dipthong

Default SS Version?

As far as I know the Slow Stick has only had one version. The Pico Stick is often incorrectly called a Slow Stick on Ebay.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:52 PM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

Originally posted by NoMercy
I am getting the slow stick... SLOW STICK... slow stick...

I also have a charger.

so I am gonna get the Slow Stick and then 2 battery packs and thats about it considering I got micro servos I got a receiver(though it is not small) and a charger
You should be alright then. Everything you've listed will work with either the EPS100C version or the EPS300C version of the Slow Stick. With the exception of the 7 cell Nimh pack. That pack will be iffy at best.

If you get the EPS400C version of the slow stick, I suggest you change your ESC to one capable of handling 20 amps.

Other than that, you are good to go.

Make sure you balance it correctly and have fun!
Old 03-26-2003, 07:47 PM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

Ok also. Is the 400c more powerfull or what. Also what battery pack would last the longest...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:28 PM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

You've asked a good simple question, which unfortunately has no simple answer.

I don't know what gearbox or prop GWS supplies with the EPS400C drive system in the Slow Stick. Therefore, I really can't answer your question about which is more "powerful". The EPS300C powered Slow Stick flies fine. And appears to be the most common version of the plane.

Check out GWS's website for all the information on how their different motors and gearboxes will perform under different voltages. But keep in mind these are only close numbers. The real world will be slightly different.

Which battery will last the longest again is specific to the motor, prop, and gearing of the plane.

As a general rule: the higher the MAH rating the longer the battery will last for any given amp load put on it. The amp load you put on a battery pack will change due to your flying style and the day to day flying conditions (temp., wind, etc.)

But it must be stressed that not all batteries are created equal. Some batteries are capable of suppling more current than others and as a result not all batteries are acceptable for all applications. The airplane must also be able to lift the battery pack. It is possible to get a motor which will run for an hour, but the airplane will never fly due to the fact it weighs too much.

When starting out. I suggest using the suggested battery system listed by GWS or by others here on RCU which have already been found to work.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:12 PM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

I am a little bit confused. In other posts people have used 1100MAH and they say they get 20 minutes and it is really great. And others say that some batterys last logner less power and take logner to charge others show charge short time more power
Old 03-27-2003, 02:04 AM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

The problem is not the MAH rating of the battery.

It is the fact that it is a 7 cell Nimh battery.

Most of the time when you go from a Nicd pack to a Nimh pack you need to add one additional cell to keep the amount of power the same. There are newer Nimh cells which do not pay this penalty.
An example of this are the battery packs I have for my Zagi. I have 1, 1700 mah Nicd pack, 1, 2700 mah Nimh pack and 2, 1700 mah Nimh packs. All of these are 8 cell packs. The 1700 Nimh packs produce the most power. They are of the new cell technology and are capable of supplying a good high current. The 1700 Nicd pack is OK. The 2700 Nimh pack has the longest run time by far (almost double), but not near the speed, because the pack just can't supply the current the motor wants.

Basically your 7 cell 1100 Nimh pack will probably perform like a 6 cell Nicd pack. For me that will not be enough snort for the plane.

My advice is to fly the plane with it and see how it performs. If it does great, then it works. Enjoy it and don't worry about it. If it doesn't perform so great, then that's OK to, you haven't lost anything.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:47 AM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

So what 2 batterys should I get....
Old 03-27-2003, 05:24 AM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

My 2 cents would be to go ahead and try your 7 cell 1100 mah Nimh battery pack. It may work great for you.

The GWS flight pack for the Slow Stick has a 6 cell 400 mah Nicd pack with it.

If they are recommending that, then the 7 cell 1100 mah Nimh pack should work fine.

If it doesn't then you can always invest in another battery pack later.

If you want to have two packs right now. Then why don't you keep the 7 cell 1100 mah Nimh pack and purchase a 7 cell 600AE Nicd pack. That way you can fly with both and see which one you like better. The Nimh pack will give more flight time, where the Nicd pack will give more power. That way you can see the difference between the packs and decide what type of flying you prefer.

My personal preference is for power over runtime.

As a suggestion,
The KAN950 Nimh cells from:

www.eflightpacks.com

they look very promising for a Slow Stick.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:27 AM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

Also I am wondering what intresting things you guys have done with yoru SS. Have you put cameras gliders or even put it through an obstacle course.

Also to reply to your post. Me and my twin will be sharing it. He will get pouty if one battery is better. Also the battery we have now would be used in another so if my dad came along he woudl use that one. So what is the best bet for a great battery in your opinion if your opinion is power then tell me what that battery is.

Also would the 1100 be bad for the motor or just be somewhat not great but wouldnt hurt it
Old 03-27-2003, 05:32 AM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

SOrry I hadnt read the very very last of your post and see that you reccomend the 8.4V 950mAh NiMh;
Old 03-27-2003, 01:26 PM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

Your 1100 mah battery pack will not hurt the motor.

I would recommend either of these packs for the way I prefer to fly:

7 cell 600AE Nicd
8 cell KAN950 Nimh

Yes, the Slow Stick can carry payloads. I purchased mine to do aerial photos with. I have not gathered all the info necessary to know what is needed yet. I do know there is obviously a camera needed and a component to go from the camera to the receiver.

As far as the obstical course goes. I've not heard of anyone doing that. But, I think thats a great idea and it sounds like fun. Are you planning on getting more than one Slow Stick involved, or would you be racing against the clock?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:38 PM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

3 of us will have Slow Sticks. We gonna have a lot of fun. We got loads of ideas. Also is one of those batteries give more power or no? Sorry if I keep repeating.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:58 PM
latch66

Default Slow Stick

I don't know which pack I would tip my hat to as far as having more power.

The KAN950 pack will give you a higher flight time for a given amp draw from the motor than the 600AE will.

It sounds like your going to have a blast. Please keep me informed on how the "obstacle course" goes.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:02 PM
NoMercy

Default Slow Stick

Another question I have is if I bought 3 battiries and flew all 3 straight would the engine overheat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.