Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

the zero good bad great?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 12:29 PM
spudnick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the zero good bad great?????

Im looking into the zero ive read a bunch of reviews and they all seem to have different opinions. some people say it doesn't clime well is that true?. I guess i just want to hear a few more opinions before i buy anything
Old 10-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

You might want to wait for Hobby Lobby's Zero. It looks much better than the GWS. Hobby Lobby is putting out a new plane every week it seems.

Yak
Old 10-18-2002, 08:13 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a GWS Zero w/an 8 cell 600NiMH 2/3AA pack, 3HS-81's 555rx ,+ IC15 esc. all up wt. is 17.5oz. (a little heavy) It flys well,climbs good, and handles(in general)pretty good,except on the ground...The landing gear is flimsy! changed to .078" wire and put some stronger wheels on it. The extra wt. taxed the L.G. Other than the flights being too short, I'm pleased w/it.(I'm getting about 4min.) Watch the C.G.!!! Keep it Fwd. or you'll have your hands full!!!(ask me how I know) I painted the bottom a scale like color(lt.gull gray) and it looks great...Good luck,and keep 'em flying.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:18 PM
little-boy-14

I had one flew great but it was imposible to land
Old 10-18-2002, 09:48 PM
proptop

Yeah, mine likes to ground loop...T.O.'s can be tricky too, if it's windy! Wants to weather-vane big time, because there's that transition time between tail wheel steering(sensitive) and rudder effectiveness (not very) I'm using an APC 9x6sf prop. now, it's more ridgid,(holds its pitch much better) and turns up more rpm. Also has a little more ground clearance.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:04 PM
spudnick

Thanks proptop. A lot of people say it flys great but why do u only get 4 mins flight time?
Old 10-19-2002, 07:14 PM
proptop

I fly @ max power usually...Loops+rolls,etc. scrub off speed, so...I might get closer to 5min. if I nursed it, but what fun is that? Yeah the dur. is short,I dont think my 600's are quite 600mah.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:08 PM
foxflyer

I am flying a GWS Zero & love it.

Ground take off was ok, just touch the rudder stick, made a couple of landings without a nose over, mostly it did though. I drilled a hole in the rudder horn closer to the rudder that increased the deflection. Take-offsm were easier then.

I built it with stock landing gear but found it too flimsy so I made new legs from heavier wire and used the wheels off of my lil hornet, looked great but the transfer of torque to the plastic mounting plates was too much and it cracked one. After that I deleted the gear and took out the rudder servo ( not needed for hand launch).

I also moved the cg forward after reading many posts and it flies great on 8 720nimh, with a 9x8 kyosho prop. To get the balance right I had to mount the battery on a light ply plate above the motor stick in the cowl. To make it removable without dismounting the prop I cut a hatch in the top of the cowl. My all up weight is just over 15 oz.I made up some 10 cell 720nimh packs and it perked up a bit. Duration is 5-6.5 min depending on the throttle management.

The plane is just starting to look authentic with numerous scratches and nicks, just like a warbird in service should look with not enough time to repair it before the next mission. However the cowl has taken quite a beating.

All in all I dig this plane. Let's see... Mustang?...A10?...Mustang?...A10?...
Old 10-20-2002, 04:45 PM
proptop

Have you checked out the GWS website? They also have a Corsair, a Spitfire, a Me-109 (just recalled,their ad. in M.A.N. pgs.144+145,Dec. issue) a Beaver, B-2,and a Cub-type...And a bigger version of the "stick" too. You'll have to flip a 4 or 5 sided coin to help decide? Or is it "buy American" (from a Chinese manuf.)
Old 10-21-2002, 04:25 PM
spudnick

Yeah GWS has some other really kool planes but they arent out yet. I cant wait to see the A 10 fly
Old 10-21-2002, 07:52 PM
foxflyer

Mustang.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:25 PM
spudnick

The corsair is a cool plane but the paint job on it doesnt look great
Old 10-21-2002, 11:28 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mustang here too
but they wont be out till thanksgiving
Old 10-22-2002, 11:03 PM
Gregg Brown

Default GWS Zero

I'm having a blast with my GWS Zero, but it took awhile to get here. Everything is stock, but I use 8-cell, 720 mah (AAA) Nimd batteries in an offset square pack. I routinely get about 8 min. with mod. aerobatics, probably a little shorter with agressive aerobats.

The prop shaft pitch was badly off on stock plane. I had to shave maybe 5 degrees or so off motor mount stick to get more down thrust.

I shaved out the orig. battery area at front of cockpit to accomodate that 8 cell pack. I use a small foam stick to keep in pushed up front in cockpit.

Not a lot of vert. perfomance, but will ROG with authority. Flies very scale and mock attack runs are awesome. Looks cool inverted.

Once set up, this plane is very consistent. Another cool thing is GSW supports parts for this plane. I've replaced the landing gear, wheels and motor.

I can't wait for the P-51 and A-10.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:31 AM
foxflyer

10 cell 720nimh pack perks the plane up noticably, but the motor only lasted about 20 flights before the brushes were burned out. I've got a spare 400 with 2.3 gear laying about here somewhere, think I'll try that. Not decided about direct or gear yet.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:56 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone seen the megatech mustang? how does it fly? seems like a good price for the rtf at $230 or so.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:20 AM
sprinter

if you really want it to fly..use a 9 cell 2/3 A Nimh pack..

Mike
Old 12-01-2002, 05:59 AM
Zerobomber

Hey what's up
I was also wondering about the zero and well it is and if theres so much modifications that you have to do to it that it's not worth it, I mean i was just wondering, if the Hobby-Lobby's Zero is any better?
Old 12-01-2002, 06:03 AM
sprinter

no the GWS is a preaty good plane..not a lot of mods..just make sure you have the CG at 45-50 mm....and at least a 8 cell pack of somesort
Old 01-19-2003, 12:03 AM
ChicagoGj
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by sprinter
no the GWS is a preaty good plane..not a lot of mods..just make sure you have the CG at 45-50 mm....and at least a 8 cell pack of somesort
Is this the key Sprinter....my buddy has one and he basicly hung it up after three flights. Was so tail heavy it was to hard to fly. What other set up details can I give him. I hate to see it go to waste.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:17 AM
blangle

The ABSOLUTE Key is the CG, I read the advice, made the marks and still had the CG over 50. Just goes strait up and stalls when applying throttle.

Now if you want to make mods......In order to fit the larger batterys and use them to move the CG forward, I've done the following:
-Cut off the top of the battery cavity to make a "hood" that's held on by making the perpendicular cuts under the cowl and canopy.
-Dug out the battery cavity (up, down and forward)
-Mounted a metal elbow on the engine support as a bulkhead so the batteries can slide to almost touching the inside of the cowl.
-Applied velcro on the bottom of the cavity and the battery to keep it from shifting.

Lesson learned:
Use a dremmel and not an exacto knife....(like comparing a circular saw and a butter knife.)
Old 01-20-2003, 06:44 AM
proptop

It's a good flying plane if you balance it ahead of the rec. location... My first flight was very brief indeed! But I was lucky, it "landed" in some tall grass, and just broke the prop and wrinkled the cowl. Don't use too much throw on the elev. + ailerons, about 1/4 to 5/16 ea. direction should be ok. I "cut" a hole in the firewall w/ a soldering pencil so my batt. pack(8cell 600mah. 2/3AA NiMH) can go fwd. enough to touch the inside/back of the cowl. I also use an APC prop because it's more efficient AND HEAVIER to help the C.G.situation...I've been flying R/C for almost 30 years, and I had my hands full on that first "flight", but I've got it set -up pretty good now. If you've got any more questions just do a search on the GWS Zero, and if that doesn't turn up what you need, just ask, that's the great thing about the RCU community, we all like to help...Good Luck, and keep trying till you get it right...Happy Landings
Old 01-21-2003, 02:34 PM
Gregg Brown

There are only a couple of mods to the GWS Zero that I've experienced. 1) use 8 cells - I suggest 720 mah nimh. I use a square shape pack (4 on top of 4). I reamed out the battery compartment in order to push the pack as far front as it will go. I hold it in with a foam stick. 2) I shaved a couple of degrees of downthrust on the moter mount stick.

After these mods, the Zero is a beautiful plane to behold. It flies very scale. I only fly in very light or zero wind. I get 10-15 minute flights depending on aerobatics.

The Zero has become my favorite plane thus far. I've just finished the P-51 from GWS and will be making the necessary mods.

Good Luck With the Zero.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:06 AM
phat742

i had so much trouble with this plane i ended up putting a gyro on the aileron and elevator servos. it had a lot of trouble with the c.g. - i guess i should have read all the instructions about the maximum throw on the control surfaces.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:41 PM
proptop

Been flyin' mine a lot lately...Took the gear off, and removed the rud. servo to save wt. and just hand launch it now...I changed to a 10x7 APC slowflyer prop, and that seems to be the best yet(for my combo anyway) I balance @ 2" back @ the wing root. Flys great even in 10-15 mph winds!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.