Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Trojan T-28 Radio problems

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Trojan T-28 Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
R/C FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Trojan T-28 Radio problems

Hi, has any one had any problems with their radio equipment yet? I know of three channels that are giving major hits in flight, one that resulted in a crash 17, 21, 54, are glitching real bad in flight, the ground check was fine on all of them. Two of my buddies pulled their receivers apart and discovered the tiny screw holding the board to the case was not there. So beware of this, when you have control of this plane, it is real nice to fly and land, I am going to contact horizon hobby to see if they are aware of this problem, hopefully this is an isolated incident but just to be safe i will check it out.... R/C FLYR
Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Major_Smackdown

Default RE: Parkzone Trojan T-28 Radio problems

I bought 3 of these myself, and two friends bought one each. I put a spektrum 6100 receiver in it right away and had an awesome flying plane - I love it. It was a good enough demonstration to get a couple buddies to go buy one each and I bought 2 more (not hoarding - i have a couple nephews I'd like to get flying and I'd rate it an aerobatic trainer).

both of theirs had so much glitching it was a miracle one of them was able to regain control just long and just barely enough to have a no-damage landing. the other wasn't so lucky and crashed it. I put the radio set in another airplane of mine that came from my t-28 just to see if we really had a strong pattern of failure and sure enough it was constant glitching and throttle cuts etc. until it crashed and destroyed my beloved e-starter. So 3 out of 3 we've tried on channgel 21, 21, and 19 were a joke. the radios are totally worthless - and this was tried in 3 different locations.

I talked to horizon - they said mail them back the planes - I said that takes a lot of the fun out of owning one - how about mailing in the radio set alone - they said that would be fine - with an explanation of what's going on.

send to

horizon service center
4105 field stone road
champaign, IL 61822

send in the radios and explanation.

I love the plane - but they might as well have left the radios in china. I suggested they swap the radio sets for spektrum receivers - that would make me happy - but the phone tech dude didn't think they'd do that. well anyways, please update here with your results and i'll try to do the same.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
cjg

Are you both flying in metro areas? Any chance there is rf interference in your area that us more rural folk wouldn't have?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Major_Smackdown

one place that all of us in my immediate group flew is outside a metro area - but near some industrial parks - on the whole all other radio eqiupment for RC planes works fine there - it's an AMA field and all types of radio gear and planes / helis show up and glitching is pretty rare - quite the opposite with the parkzone t-28 radio though. I also had flown 2 of them well out in the sticks where I live and at another friends place out in the boodocks as well - didn't seem to be much better - but I'd guess the glitches came about every 5 to 7 seconds out in the country as opposed to every 1 or 2 seconds closer to town. I'm giving up on the stock radio, it's already wiped out a plane that was one of my first planes when I got into rc aircraft, and I liked it. I'm not going to pay to ship the radios back to horizon because of the fear that they're going to ship them back saying we don't see a problem - and I could do better with my money than throw it away on shipping. I still recommend the plane of course - but I recommend target practice on the radio set.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Bigtone

Mine came on ch50 and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I think that some of the PZ/HZ ch's are prone to interfernce and some aren't. If anybody had radio issues with this plane post your bad ch's and we mite be able to narrow it down.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM
R/C FLYR

I think i have found a solution to the radio problem, It is not the Transmitter it is the receiver, a buddy that i fly with took out the receiver,and replaced it with a receiver from a stryker, maybe you could contact Horizon Hobby and send the bad one back to them,and request one of the stryker ones with the channel that matches the zx-10 transmitter. or you could order one from them, they are less than 25.00 with crystal. My buddies is on ch 17, and now it is glitch free, I flew it 2x tonight, and it works perfectly!! When i get mine i am going to do the same thing,and get rid of the bad receiver PROBLEM SOLVED So if you want to give it a shot, i truly believe you will not be dissapointed. good luck and good flying R/C FLYR
Old 10-27-2007, 08:58 AM
cjg

Does the stock receiver have a removable crystal? Could they be loose? Some of the SuperCub owners had to tape over the crystal to keep it from wiggling to stop glitching.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM
slicemaster

I have just bought the new ParkZone T-28 Trojan and am having an awful time with it. The first plane I had burnt up the Motor and the ESC, took it back and I was given another, and it is running hot and it looks like it is going to do the same thing. When the battery is plugged in it has a high pithced whin, and it starts to heat up. I am using a Spektrum DX6 with a AR6000 reciever, with a TP 11.1V 2100Mha battery. I have already ruined one lipo and am afraid of doing it again. Has anyone else had issues with it burning up?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Bigtone

high pithced whin
That could be one of your sevros because, my rudder servo does that.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:38 PM
R/C FLYR

Cig don't think so, they are in there pretty tight, so i think the problem is that crap receiver, The stryker receiver works excellent! Hopefully Horizon will let people exchange them out until they get that receiver figured out..... Happy flying R/C FLYR
Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
ibey26

I bought the Pnp Trojan. I am using a spectrum 6100 receiver with the Dx7 radio and I am getting a high pitch noise from the receiver. I have not yet flown the plane just wondering has anyone else experienced this.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Major_Smackdown

I think you're possibly hearing the digital servos screaming - that's normal, but make sure you don't have binding of course.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
kereams

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...672507&page=22

Start about there. You'll read my experience. Three attempts later I finally have a good plane. The Rx is definitely the culprit. I think the Rx burned out the ESC on my first T28 by putting out too much voltage on the speed control wire. Hard to prove but just a hunch after my experiences.
Cheers
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM
cjg

I got a channel 17 rtf and after 4 flights at our high school soccer field absolutely no glitching.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

I have found that the E-flite 25A ESC is pretty unreliable. I am thinking of taking it out of my T-28 PNP. I have already had 3 blow up or stop working on me, one caused a wreck, one quite working on the bench, and the other overheated in flight and desoldered all the wires inside! Lucky I had already landed when that happened. Beware of those ESCs, I think they have quality control issues with them.

BTW does the T-28 come with the ZX-10 radio?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
kereams

ORIGINAL: hyperdyne

I have found that the E-flite 25A ESC is pretty unreliable. I am thinking of taking it out of my T-28 PNP. I have already had 3 blow up or stop working on me, one caused a wreck, one quite working on the bench, and the other overheated in flight and desoldered all the wires inside! Lucky I had already landed when that happened. Beware of those ESCs, I think they have quality control issues with them.

Were all of your E-Flite 25A ESC from "Parkzone Packages" (ie - pulled from a Parkzone plane or ordered from Parkzone) or were they off the shelf E-Flite parts? I am trying to narrow down the issue. I've had two go toast on me and both were from Parkzone planes. I am on my third one which was directly from E-Flite and out of an E-Flite package, it is working great. I check it after every battery back and it's seems fine.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 PM
hyperdyne

Two of them were from "packaged" PZ planes. Both of those petered out spectacularly.

One I believe was ordered from Parkzone and not E-flite (I ordered it along with the typhoon2 brushless motor from PZ), and it just stopped working on the bench. Now I am hesistant to use the packaged one in my T-28. I'd hate for that to auger in from another bad ESC.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM
kereams

Thanks for the update.

As I said I have about 10 packs on my E-Flite packaged one. I did thorough BEC voltage/current tests and motor current tests before I put the bird in the air. All was great. I check it every flight and it is very cool to the touch and everything visually checks fine.

You reinforced my theory that Parkzone is getting either the "Factory Seconds" or ones that have not been put through as thorough of quality control tests. All in an effort to probably reduce price.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
hyperdyne

That is not bad theory. At least there are more data pts now supporting it. I am starting to loathe these PZ 25A ESCs.

In that case I feel that I should replace the stock PZ T-28 ESC, or at the very least add a UBEC. Then I can at least have some control if an ESC dies again midflight.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 PM
kereams

That is not bad theory. At least there are more data pts now supporting it. I am starting to loathe these PZ 25A ESCs.

In that case I feel that I should replace the stock PZ T-28 ESC, or at the very least add a UBEC. Then I can at least have some control if an ESC dies again midflight.

To clarify, at the least add a BEC. UBEC is a brand name of BEC.

Yes, I have been contemplating the same thing for safety reasons. I have been looking at the ParkBEC by Dimension Engineering or the Castle Creations 10A BEC. Doing the math I am not sure that a Spektrum AR6000 receiver and the four 3W Parkzone servos would not have the potential to saturate the 1.5a of the ParkBEC. The UBEC looks like an even better option than the ParkBEC. Although the Castle 10A looks to have pleeenty of headroom. Thoughts?????

Cheers.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
cjg

It comes with the zx-10 radio.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
kassun

Got my T-28 a yesterday and brought her out this evening for her maiden flight. The ground check went fine, gave her a 1/2 throttle and she climbed nicely. About 30 sec into the flight she started glitching like mad, luckily i was able to land with minimal damage. I'm on channel 21. Looks like i'l be contacting the manufacture for a new receiver and tx. She flew gret for the 30 sec.

-Kassun
Old 11-10-2007, 08:41 PM
hyperdyne

I finally got my T-28 pnp together. I ended up using the stock ESC since it was already installed and I didnt have a different one to replace it. I did put some HS-55 servos on the ailerons to see how they would do. Also ended up installed an AR7000 receiver and used the DX7 radio.

The first 3 flights went very well. I didnt have any radio problems like I have seen with the AR6000 Rxs.

I did notice the plane behaves differently in turns than my spit. It seems to stall a bit easier as well. Plus inverted flight was near impossible to maintain until I enabled rudder/aileron mixing. All in all a great first few flights, no ESC smoke either (knock on wood).

I put the stock system on a power meter and at WOT I measured 16 amp draw typical. Has anyone tried a different prop?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:28 AM
kereams

The first 3 flights went very well. I didnt have any radio problems like I have seen with the AR6000 Rxs.

I did notice the plane behaves differently in turns than my spit. It seems to stall a bit easier as well. Plus inverted flight was near impossible to maintain until I enabled rudder/aileron mixing. All in all a great first few flights, no ESC smoke either (knock on wood).

I put the stock system on a power meter and at WOT I measured 16 amp draw typical. Has anyone tried a different prop?
My T28 fly's inverted absolutely effortless and I have no mixing setup at all. What issues with AR6000 Rx's are you referring to?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:32 PM
hyperdyne

Hmm, I wonder what I need to trim out to make inverted flight easier. I have had issues with the AR6000 receiver in my stryker. I upgraded from the stock Rx and the first flight I lost all control. Ended up a lawn dart. I think the AR6000 Rx has either BEC issues, brownout, or something else. The Rx was non responsive so it must of rebooted in flight or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.