Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Balancing a Mini Edge

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 PM
medcinmn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing a Mini Edge

I finally got around to finishing my 2 year old E-Flite Mini Edge. I'm using a Park 450 outrunner and 2100Mah 11.1v lipo. Even with the battery pushed all the way fwd, it looks preliminarily like I will have to add nearly 1.5 oz of weight to balance it at 2 1/8" from the leading edge (per the book). I installed the rudder servo in the tail, which I know doesn't help, but it certainly can't be making this much of a difference.

Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Balancing a Mini Edge

medcinmn:

Think we have all ended up there at some time in the past. It should give you pause to rethink your building processes. With the current crop of electrics, I find the CG to be all over the place, depending on the manufacturer. It seems like E-flight have more planes available and more stuff coming than about anyone else out there. Comments like yours should take a little steam out of their marketing plan and force them back to basics. At the same time, we all seam to jump on the bad stuff, which is good for the rest of us, but a few kind words toward those who deserve it is also very good for the rest of us.

After you get your airframe togeather, take a few minutes to tape your gear to be used in place, including motor, prop and esc. and then CG. At this point you can move things around a lot with ease, get things spot on, and then mark what goes where. Amazing how close it will come out. Now you get to move the rear servo to where it should have been and build in a pull-pull. The old guys who designed and built their own stuff for a lot of years learned this one the hard way. After drafting the intended design, cutting out all those pieces, hours of building to end up with a bird you can't hardly CG is a mestake few will repeat.

I just finished a Percision Models Katana MD, came out right on, flys like they claim (great) Well worth the price in quality YOU GET WITHOUT THE BS HIPE. It is a pleasure to get something as good as the manufacturer claims. ENJOY
Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 PM
medcinmn

Thank you for the reply. I have everything installed, and even with the battery and ESC pushed as far forward as it will go, the plane still seems tail heavy.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 AM
newjak

ORIGINAL: medcinmn

Thank you for the reply. I have everything installed, and even with the battery and ESC pushed as far forward as it will go, the plane still seems tail heavy.
medcinmn, I am almost at the same point as you in the assembly of my mini edge. I am using a park 480 motor which is aprox. 0.6 oz heavier. Hopefully I wont run into the same problem as you, but I will let you know my results. I dont like to add dead weight to any of my planes but I do what is neccesary to get airborne.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:21 AM
medcinmn

After everything is said and done, my CG is about 1" aft of the main spar with no weight added. I added 1.5 oz weight to the nose and it still needs more to balance properly, probably another 1/2 oz, maybe more.